Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wrench

Tease for the Fisher/Carbon Fans

I just received a Fisher Superfly 29 hardtail the other day. Also received a special Rock Shox Reba 29 fork with the G2 offset for it as well. Built it with standard team fare- X.0, Ultimates, Bonty RXL wheels, crank (38/26t), RXXXL stem, bar, Crank Brother's 4Ti 'beaters and Bonty Dry X tyres.

Size XL- under 23 lbs. Frame is 3 lbs. even with seat collar (no headset)

I know- pics to follow with ride report. I will tell you know, it accelerates like nothing else and wheelies very easily. I am having to learn to ride a 29er again. It is very quick handling on the front end- more like a good 26 hardtail- no laziness.

Pics below.

Matto
    Last edited by mattomoto; 08-18-2007 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I need a G2 Reba! When can regular folks get them??? Can old one be converted???

Oh yeah, the bike sounds great. But without pictures, this kinda sucks...

Schipperkes are cool.
    regular folks, buy the whole bike.

Converted? nope. Different lower and crow-steerer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    regular folks, buy the whole bike.

Converted? nope. Different lower and crow-steerer
    I don't think I want the whole bike (or can afford). Even if I did buy one of the new Fisher's, then my poor back-up bike would need one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I don't think I want the whole bike (or can afford). Even if I did buy one of the new Fisher's, then my poor back-up bike would need one.
    you could do like cannondale owners do when they want just the lefty fork: buy the cheapest bike with the fork you want, part it out and sell, keeping the fork. parting out separate bike parts usually nets you more cash than selling things together and some people have been known to get a free fork or even come out ahead when all is said and done. in any case, whatever you dont make back from selling the rest of the bike is how much you paid for the fork. the downside: its a hassle to sell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn
    you could do like cannondale owners do when they want just the lefty fork: buy the cheapest bike with the fork you want, part it out and sell, keeping the fork. parting out separate bike parts usually nets you more cash than selling things together and some people have been known to get a free fork or even come out ahead when all is said and done. in any case, whatever you dont make back from selling the rest of the bike is how much you paid for the fork. the downside: its a hassle to sell.
    All very true and valid points. The down side is, I have a grage full of stuff I should have sold long ago. I don't have any track record of selling parts.

Recovering couch patato
    The problem with these long offset forks may be that the frame are specially made for them. So buyer of your frame also needs a fork like it, and can;t get one too easily. Maybe Manitou will come to the resque.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    The problem with these long offset forks may be that the frame are specially made for them. So buyer of your frame also needs a fork like it, and can;t get one too easily. Maybe Manitou will come to the resque.
    oops, good point. i completely overlooked that, as cannondales work fine with regular forks (though you wouldnt know it from the outcry over the new non-lefty prophets)...

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    We want to see your Matt O'bilt - will teambikes have Rebas and not Fox forks ???

It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

No longer 26
    At least for now, the team is sponsored by RockShox/Avid/Sram from what I understand. So no fox fork. Even has a RS sticker on teh fox shock unitl RS has the correct size for the HiFi 29er

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    All very true and valid points. The down side is, I have a grage full of stuff I should have sold long ago. I don't have any track record of selling parts.

Rohloff
    Take it to an Ebay store. You'll lose a little money not doing it yourself, but it'll get done.

wrench

Ok Pics!!!

Team will use Rock Shox Reba's, not Fox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wrench

Clearance for 2.2's, no problem

Have had no rub with 2.2's on the bike. Frame is nice and stiff- don't notice any flexing in the back.
    I think I will race it tomorrow. Should be fun.

Matto

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    what were those carbon proto rebas that were sposed to be on jhk's bike at the nationals, you hinted at...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by realbiker
    We want to see your Matt O'bilt - will teambikes have Rebas and not Fox forks ???

Is that a crack in front of the weld on the swing arm?
    Last edited by Quasi; 08-19-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

wrench
    Sorry, never hinted at any Carbon 29 Reba's, we did have some proto 26" forks we used however. Sorry for any confusion.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    Is that a crack in front of the weld on the swing arm?
    Nope

No longer 26

Sticker

Hey Matt,
    Could I have one of your stickers please?

Would be fun to see if anyone notices at the WORS races..

Which rear shock are you using on your supercal?

G

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Retail Pricing

Does anyone know what the retail price of these will be when they are actually available?

A more in depth ride review will be greatly appreciated for those of us who are mere mortals and can't get factory stuff.

Does anyone know if this fox fork should be easily converted to 100 mm?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Matto,
    Are you guys running road triples with the 38/26 combo? I'm currently running a RXL road triple with 39/24 and haven't seen anyone else with this set-up.
    Thanks,
    -Sean

No longer 26
    Looks like the standard 4 bolt pattern to me. Works well. Truvativ makes a 38 middle ring for there touring crank. Probably using that.

Sean, How does the 24/39 combo work? I've kept mine to a 24/36 4 bolt mtb rings and it is working well.

G

mtbr member
    I set-up a 24/39 because I never used my 44 tooth. Its great. 39 x 11 is plenty fast, 24 x 34 is plenty slow.
    -Sean

No longer 26
    I have yet to even use my 36 x 11, much less the 44 when I first got my 29er. I was wondering how you liked the big-ish jump between front rings for mtbing. guess I should have been clearer. I run 24/36 on both my HT and FS with an 11-34 on my FS and 11-32 on my HT.

G

mtbr member
    The jump is not an issue. Its similar to some road compacts doing a 50 - 34, and this is one less tooth. Smooth as a baby's bum, yo.
    -Sean
    Last edited by sean350; 08-20-2007 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    where to go to get specs on superfly. not on gf website...

wrench
    Sean- That is just a stock RXL mtb crank on the bike with a Stronglight 38 and truvativ 26. Works very well, but the clearance between the 38 and the chainstay is very close- like 1mm. This frame uses a 73mm shell, so I can not use the road triple (well, have not tried, but since the roads are 68mm, assume it will not work)

As for specs, will be out soon. I saw a copy of the new catalog so I do have some info.

wrench

Race Report

How 'bout a ride report?

I raced it yesterday in a local mtb xc race outside Boulder. Course is very demanding with lost of roots, roods and technical climbing and descending. The climbs are pretty tough so a hardtail is nice, but the descending is so rough, a duelly would be nice. So what to race? A hardtail 29 of course.
    This was the third ride on the Superfly for me. Race ready, it sat at 23.1 lbs with a Bonty Dry X on the back and a Bonty ACX on the front. Both are tubeless ready with Stan's.
    The very first ride I did was on local trails I know very well. I did have some problems controlling the front end because it is so light. A little with the geo as well I think. It is a very quick responding bike on the front end. Turns super tight at slow speeds, but kept its good manners at speed as well. I found I could turn it much fast and lean it much more than my Paragon. (same positions on both) What I had to get used to was getting over rocks and such that you need to lift the front for. I kept lifting to much and messing up my line going over the obstacle. I figured that out by race day and have no more problems with it. (not really a problem as it is easier to get over stuff on the Superfly)
    Second thing I noticed was just how fast the bike accelerated. This is like no 29" you have ridden. Goes like stink! I would say it accelerates like a good 26" hardtail. Very fast and no noticeable flex at all.
    As for front end stiffness, much better than the current Paragon. I though I had too much air in my fork at first and had to check it. Nope, just a stiff front end- this also helps the steering of this bike.
    As for the race, the bike floated up the climbs! I am not a climber so any little thing helps. I was making time on the climbs and had not problems on the descents. I did loose some time to the guys on duellys on the descents, but caught them later on the climb again. BTW, the skies opened up on our last lap and the course turned very muddy and all those roots and rock turned slick. No problem for the 29er though. Handled like a dream- just get the 2 wheel drift going and it is all good. No problem with mud clearance either and no tyre rubbing the chainstays.
    I ended up 6th out of 25, so not to bad.
    In summery, I love this bike and don't want to give it up, but JHK needs to get on it and give his impressions. I bet he will race it this weekend. Stay tuned.

Matto

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    travis brown raced one recently..........

Dec 2005

price

mattomoto, thanks for the ride/race report. any idea on the msrp yet for the complete bike superfly?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    How 'bout a ride report?

I raced it yesterday in a local mtb xc race outside Boulder. Course is very demanding with lost of roots, roods and technical climbing and descending. The climbs are pretty tough so a hardtail is nice, but the descending is so rough, a duelly would be nice. So what to race? A hardtail 29 of course.
    This was the third ride on the Superfly for me. Race ready, it sat at 23.1 lbs with a Bonty Dry X on the back and a Bonty ACX on the front. Both are tubeless ready with Stan's.
    The very first ride I did was on local trails I know very well. I did have some problems controlling the front end because it is so light. A little with the geo as well I think. It is a very quick responding bike on the front end. Turns super tight at slow speeds, but kept its good manners at speed as well. I found I could turn it much fast and lean it much more than my Paragon. (same positions on both) What I had to get used to was getting over rocks and such that you need to lift the front for. I kept lifting to much and messing up my line going over the obstacle. I figured that out by race day and have no more problems with it. (not really a problem as it is easier to get over stuff on the Superfly)
    Second thing I noticed was just how fast the bike accelerated. This is like no 29" you have ridden. Goes like stink! I would say it accelerates like a good 26" hardtail. Very fast and no noticeable flex at all.
    As for front end stiffness, much better than the current Paragon. I though I had too much air in my fork at first and had to check it. Nope, just a stiff front end- this also helps the steering of this bike.
    As for the race, the bike floated up the climbs! I am not a climber so any little thing helps. I was making time on the climbs and had not problems on the descents. I did loose some time to the guys on duellys on the descents, but caught them later on the climb again. BTW, the skies opened up on our last lap and the course turned very muddy and all those roots and rock turned slick. No problem for the 29er though. Handled like a dream- just get the 2 wheel drift going and it is all good. No problem with mud clearance either and no tyre rubbing the chainstays.
    I ended up 6th out of 25, so not to bad.
    In summery, I love this bike and don't want to give it up, but JHK needs to get on it and give his impressions. I bet he will race it this weekend. Stay tuned.

Matto

Harmonius Wrench

MSRP and geo....

MSRP on the Superfly: $3299.99

(Numbers are for a 19" in sagged state suspension-wise)

Head angle: 70 degrees
    Trail: 78.7
    Seat Tube Angle: 72.4 degrees

SRAM X-9 front, X-O everything else, Juicy Ultimate brakes, Bontrager crank, wheels seatpost (carbon) and cockpit. Fox 80mm travel fork.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Unbelievable Deal?

If the Superfly is a state of the art 29er carbon frame with XO shifter/R Der combo, Avid Juicy Ultimate discs, A Fox RLC and a really descent spec otherwise, then at $3299.99 it has to be the deal of the century (and probably the last century too). The 2007 Trek 9.8 - with a spec that seems to be lesser - is listed at $3959.99. I hope that the parts spec and the price is what actually shows up in bikeshops. It almost seems too good to be true. If it is true, I'll buy one. I have a 1996 OCLV hardtail (I chose OCLV before Lance went and won the tour on it and made it "cool") that still works great, but this would be a great modern take on the carbon hardtail, and a great foray into the 29er world!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Correction

Sorry, that would be a 2008 Trek Elite 9.8 not 2007.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    mattomoto, thanks for the ride/race report. any idea on the msrp yet for the complete bike superfly?
    Your welcome. Delivering to JHK today (I want to keep it though!). We'll see what he thinks.

Check www.fisherbikes.com for all the specs and prices on the new website.

Later-
    Matto

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    help, all I see is 07 bikes, where are the specs and msrp for superfly?

Vagabond
    Damn, what a sweet bike. Just what I need for my GDR '08 race
    Dream It! Plan It! Do It!
    Vagabonding...

Just F##king Ride!
    Darn it I picked the wrong year to stop working at a Fisher bike shop.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes...00/paragon.jpg

Dec 2005

Geometry

Great new website.
    So, a few more questions. With the new offset frame and fork combo how much will a rigid carbon fork change the geometry? And if so will it be noticeable. A carbon fork would lighten this bike up to 20lbs.
    Also, mattomoto how tall are you? I have owned a couple XL fishers over the last few years (Paragon and Rig) and didn't really feel as though they fit me well. I felt that they were too long in both top tube and wheelbase. The superfly is on my radar screen and was considering an L but I don't know if I can get the seatpost high enough. I need 32inches from center of BB to top of saddle and also like my bars just below saddle height or at saddle level. I see that the geometry has changed slightly from years past.

Your welcome. Delivering to JHK today (I want to keep it though!). We'll see what he thinks.

Check www.fisherbikes.com for all the specs and prices on the new website.

Later-
    Matto

No longer 26

I have a 31.25 saddle height using a 400mm Bontrager Race X Lite post and Bontrager Race Lite WSD saddle on a Large Supercal 29er. Flat bars are 1/2" below saddle with a 90x7degree stem.

I easily would have another inch or more of seatpost adjustability and a set of risers would get the bars even or close.

G

Recovering couch patato
    Great new website.
    So, a few more questions. With the new offset frame and fork combo how much will a rigid carbon fork change the geometry? And if so will it be noticeable. A carbon fork would lighten this bike up to 20lbs.
    Also, mattomoto how tall are you? I have owned a couple XL fishers over the last few years (Paragon and Rig) and didn't really feel as though they fit me well. I felt that they were too long in both top tube and wheelbase. The superfly is on my radar screen and was considering an L but I don't know if I can get the seatpost high enough. I need 32inches from center of BB to top of saddle and also like my bars just below saddle height or at saddle level. I see that the geometry has changed slightly from years past.
    Carbon fork makers will have to get their act together asap. Before, 26"rigids always had more offset than sussers. With 29", it's going to be the other way around in many cases.
    The On-One fork always had 47mm (someone had a vision, which is close. Probably a tad shorter than a sagged Reba or Fox, so geometry will feel rather cloe, yet still a bit slower. The rigid thing will do some also though, add some directness.

Will Pace add some axle-crown as well as offset to their RC29? The thing was "developed" in mere months, when QBP expressed interest in a 29"version. At least Pace made it seem that way.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    MSRP on the Superfly: $3299.99

(Numbers are for a 19" in sagged state suspension-wise)

Head angle: 70 degrees
    Trail: 78.7
    Seat Tube Angle: 72.4 degrees

SRAM X-9 front, X-O everything else, Juicy Ultimate brakes, Bontrager crank, wheels seatpost (carbon) and cockpit. Fox 80mm travel fork.
    That seems cheap. Wow.
    Last edited by rensho; 08-21-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Dec 2005

saddle

G-Live, So with another inch of height on your 400 X Lite post, you would not be maxed out on the insertion? I figured that a 410 thomson would work but if I am spending 3K on a bike I would like to use the stock carbon post. I don't think an X Lite post carbon is available in 410mm length.
    Also, I wonder what seatpost diameter the superfly is using.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live

I have a 31.25 saddle height using a 400mm Bontrager Race X Lite post and Bontrager Race Lite WSD saddle on a Large Supercal 29er. Flat bars are 1/2" below saddle with a 90x7degree stem.

I easily would have another inch or more of seatpost adjustability and a set of risers would get the bars even or close.

G

Harmonius Wrench
    That seems cheap. Wow.
    Yeah, and if that isn't enough, the hangar tag on the bike said retail was $3000.00! (I got my information from Dexter)

Guys were walking around asking if that was wholesale.

Will Pace add some axle-crown as well as offset to their RC29?
    A funny story: I was chatting with Gary Fisher at Trek World when he got distracted, walked over to the display holding the Bontrager Switchblade forks and murmured, "I've got to get the Bontrager guys to fix the offset on these."
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

wrench
    G-Live, So with another inch of height on your 400 X Lite post, you would not be maxed out on the insertion? I figured that a 410 thomson would work but if I am spending 3K on a bike I would like to use the stock carbon post. I don't think an X Lite post carbon is available in 410mm length.
    368- Right on what G-Live said. You could probably do it. I am 6'3" with a long inseem- 35.5" but short torso- I ride an XL with a 90mm stem on the Superfly. I do run the bars low though (long arms and old road racer) I have 12cm of drop from the saddle to the top of the bar at the stem. I have the stem flipped in the down direction with a riser bar- I know sounds wierd, but I like the sweep on the risers. The bonty big sweep flat bar has a little to much sweep though for my liking.

I think with the taller head tube on the Superfly you would have no problem getting high enough. Also, Bontrager makes a 400mm Race X Lite ACC seatpost with both 5mm or 20mm offset. I use on of these myself. Works great.

Hope this helps.

wrench
    Well, gave up the sweet ride to JHK today. I was actually excited to get it to him to hear his impressions.

He had very favorable impressions from the Superfly. Stiff, nimble, great low speed handling and light. Great for a race bike. There was talk of taking it to Scotland for the World Championships and Slovenia for the World Cup Finals. I need to get some weight off of it and make it WC worthy (not that it isn't already close).
    Not that I can hang with him on climbs anyway, but he rocketed away from us very easily. He rode some big, tricky rock climbing that made the other pros on the ride walk. Made it look like child's play (yes, I defiantly walked it)

Bike just looks sick as well.

Matto

wrench
    368- Yes, we need a ridge fork for the bike- If GF says we need one, will probably get one. With all the G2 bikes Fisher has now, would see logical to have a G2 ridged fork.

No longer 26
    I have not pulled it out in awhile but there is easily another inch on the Bontrager Race X Lite ACC seatpost that came on my Supercal from where I am at.

G

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to say that bike looks sick. I just started riding an Orbea Alma 29er carbon so I understand the advantages. If that bike works as good as it looks for that money it's a huge hit. -P

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    368- Yes, we need a ridge fork for the bike- If GF says we need one, will probably get one. With all the G2 bikes Fisher has now, would see logical to have a G2 ridged fork.
    how would it ride with a standard 29er rigid fork? i know jesse Lalonde did it with a rigid switchblade, id be interested to know the results...

Dec 2005

Give to JHK

I would not want to give that bike up either. I'll bet it was hard to hand it over to JHK. I am definitely considering one. I am willing to bet there is a big pre-order from GF dealers across the country.

Well, gave up the sweet ride to JHK today. I was actually excited to get it to him to hear his impressions.

He had very favorable impressions from the Superfly. Stiff, nimble, great low speed handling and light. Great for a race bike. There was talk of taking it to Scotland for the World Championships and Slovenia for the World Cup Finals. I need to get some weight off of it and make it WC worthy (not that it isn't already close).
    Not that I can hang with him on climbs anyway, but he rocketed away from us very easily. He rode some big, tricky rock climbing that made the other pros on the ride walk. Made it look like child's play (yes, I defiantly walked it)

Bike just looks sick as well.

Matto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast