Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Target/Schwinn 29er... With a twist...

Twist of the fork... Looks like 29er's have invaded Target's.

Remember seeing another thread of a department store 29er with the fork installed backwards, but can't find it now. Anyways, must be an epidemic... Came across this one in my local Target today. Funny thing is that there were plenty of other bikes with correctly installed forks. Also notice the zip tie holding the brake cable to the stanchion?

mtbr member
    buy it... eat **** on it. sue hard...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    whoever rides that wont be in "schwinn, schwinn" situation if you no what i mean

mtbr member
    Derp
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, if you consider the name "Rivel", it makes sense. Rivel means to shrivel, or shrink. In this case, the wheelbase has shrunken as a result of the backwards fork. This no doubt is Schwinn's take on the short wheelbase 29er craze, and I for one applaud such ingenuity when others are fussing about with "how short can we make this chainstay while still leaving room for a front derailleur?" and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter82 View Post
    whoever rides that wont be in "schwinn, schwinn" situation if you no what i mean
    Oh yeah tie the break cable to the fork stanchion...

I applaud that ingenuity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe that's why it's 10% off.

Feel bad for the person that ends up with it.

MTB B'dos
    When you guys see this $hit, do you ever think to call it to the attention of a manager or some such instead of just passing it by and letting some unsuspecting person buy this bike and have a serious injury??? Other than the fork being installed backwards I see nothing wrong with this bike for a beginner, specs look not much different to low end crap from other big brands.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    When you guys see this $hit, do you ever think to call it to the attention of a manager or some such instead of just passing it by and letting some unsuspecting person buy this bike and have a serious injury??? Other than the fork being installed backwards I see nothing wrong with this bike for a beginner, specs look not much different to low end crap from other big brands.
    And how do you know I didn't do just that?

MTB B'dos
    Well, question wasn't aimed directly at you, but you didn't say you did, was a general ?at all who seem to post in these threads with an elitist attitude of, if you buy from such a place, then take what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronism View Post
    And how do you know I didn't do just that?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Come on Fhwdgads
    I like how they ziptied the brake cable to the shock...if you look at the shock it even has a screw with a hook to hold it...I work at a Target & assemble bikes, just makes me SMH when you see this stupidity...
    The shock comes in the box backwards like that, but........ya

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well, question wasn't aimed directly at you, but you didn't say you did, was a general ?at all who seem to post in these threads with an elitist attitude of, if you buy from such a place, then take what you get.
    No worries, I understand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Last week at my local grocery store I actually saw a bike that was locked up outside with the fork reversed like that. I stood around for a bit to wait for the owner but my 3yr old daughter was with me and she didn't have the patience so we had to leave. I wonder how the bike rides...

Hop Head

transmitter~receiver
    Maybe the resultant short wheelbase is what makes it, "good for height 5'2" and above."
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2012
    didn't they notice that the disk rotor was on the opposite side on the back?...

mtbr member
    After seeing a couple of posts & pictures of this very bike (Shwinn) with backwards forks, my guess is that they are shipped in the box with the fork in this position and that's the way the assembler assumed it was to be assembled...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Happens here too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target/Schwinn 29er... With a twist...-target.jpg  

mtbr member
    My Manitou Tower Pro is in the mail on the way. After so many of these backwards fork threads on mtbr, I think I need to make a sticker for it that says, "Assembled at Walmart"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    blah its not hard to twist the fork backward. im sure people do it on purpose at this point

mtbr member
    They are shipped that way; you are supposed to turn the fork around and then install the stem. Dumb@sses! That has got to be my favorite mart-bike mixup.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Judging by the photo of the white bike, I would say they also installed the handlebar/brakes/shifters upside down too.

Most of these places have outside contractors they come through, assemble bikes and grills real fast, and leave.

The logo on that black one is ridiculous. It makes no sense.

mtbr member
    I have zero issues with the bikes or brands.
    I do think its careless and potentially harmful for someone to purchase a bike like that. God knows what else they did wrong that could be unsafe. Are these bikes grab and go or boxed for a purchaser ?

Also....ok Ill admit. It does bug me how nice the paint jobs are. I dont spend anywhere near what some of you guys do on your high end bikes and to have these Dept store brands look the same or better aesthetically would bother me.

mtbr member
    A few more to ponder over...

I called the store and requested the Manager on Duty to meet me at the bike department.

When I told her two of the bikes had the forks on backwards and they could potentially be very dangerous she said:

"Great. Can I do anything else for you?"

I replied "Have them fixed"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target/Schwinn 29er... With a twist...-img_0234.jpg  

Gimme free stuff
    I once reported a loose EBB to a local bike shop only because they should know better (I hate the shop and wouldn't mind if they lost business).
    Shouldn't these target/walmart bikes have assembly directions that come with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast