mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Talon 29er 1 and Rockhopper 29

I've had a year or so away from biking due to college, and about to get back into it this summer and I'm looking into buying myself a 29'er. I've been looking at Giant and Specialized because I know they're frames are pretty large (I'm 6'6) and I'm having trouble distinguishing any major differences between these two bikes.

Talon 29er 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Specialized Bicycle Components : Rockhopper 29

To me it looks like the Talon has a step up in brakes, but other than that, the components all seem about equal. However, I've been out of it for a while. Can anyone give me some insight on any major advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Other than the brakes, the Rockhopper is winning in looks, but I'd rather have something more stable.

Also just found the Trek Mamba if anyone has some insight on that one.

mtbr member
    I do notice the travel is more on the Giant, if that matters -- 100mm versus 80mm.

I do like the yellow and black color scheme on the Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wasn't sure if the 80mm travel would be able to be adjusted on the Rockhopper though. I didn't look for that when I was looking it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The talon is getting great reviews. I have Rockhopper that has been in the shop more than I have ridden it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What about the Mamba?

Is dang happy!
    The fork on the Specialized is way better (It has a damper inside).

The Mamba is available in size huge with a 663 effective TT and has a good parts package.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I read in some reviews that those Bontrager tires on the Mamba were crap, but I don't know much on those. And I'm not sure if the Tektro brakes on the Specialized will hold up that great.

mtbr member
    Looking at the Talon myself. It looks like a good build and the frame geometry seems spot on for me (and many others looking at 29ers) I am still looking at riding a few others before I decide.