mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tallboy LTC sizing

I've decided to purchase my first 29er and test drove a Stumpjumper evo expert carbon in a large size and a Tallbot LTc in a XL size since that was the only size they had. I am 6'1" and weight around 195lbs. My inseam is around 34 inches. The tallboy LTc XL rode great but felt alot bigger than the stumpjumper large. Do you think the Tallby LTC Large would fit better for someone my size and weight. I wanted to try the tallboy ltc large but they did not have one in that size. Can you pls post how tall you are and what size tallboy LTc you have. It's a tough choice but I'm leaning towards the tallbot Ltc over the stumpumper evo expert carbon but am not sure what size would be best for me.

Thanks

P.S. Should I also be looking at the Tallboy or is the Tallboy Ltc the way to go. I normally ride the trails around the Auburn area in Northern California.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got a friend that rides the XL tallboy LTc and he is coming from normally a Large. He thought the XL would be larger than it is. I am 6' tall with a 34 inseam as well and I ride a Large superfly but I could easily fit on an XL. From what I've heard, the tallboy LTc is able to be built almost as light as a XC 29er and have saw many around 26 pounds without the parts on it being the lightest of the light. Climbing efficiency with a longer travel bike would be my only question but he thinks that it is capable of XC racing.

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" and ride a Tallboy LTc large w/ a 70mm stem.

I chose the LTc over the regular Tallboy for the extra travel and slacker geometry.
    It excels at climbing. I would say that the regular TB might have an edge on smooth, groomed trails, but the LTc is far superior at more tech climbs. (I demoed a reg TB for a week before making the decision to order the LTc),

The LTc is a monster when it comes to descents,

Bikes like the Nomad, or Enduro, while great at descending, don't climb quite as well as a XC bike because they are designed to shred when pointed downhill.

The LTc is surprisingly fast at climbing, Markedly faster up and down than my previous bike by far (Spez FSR Pro carbon).

As far as sizing goes, the Large LTc geometry is close to the large Specialized Evo.

Top tube length: LTc 24.1" Evo 24.3"
    Wheel base: LTc 45" Evo: 45.7"
    Seat tube length: LTc 19.5" Evo 18.4"
    Standover height: LTc 29,4" Evo 29.6"

The head angles are different, the LTc has a HA of 69.5 whereas the Evo has a HA of 67 degrees.

FWIW, the trails I frequent are pretty rocky, steep, and fast and the HA of 69.5 is slack enough for me.

Both are great bikes, however; one thing to keep in mind about the Evo is the component spec. It's a $6400 bike that comes with X9 shifters, Sram X7 front der., the CTD 34 Performance fork, and a Sram 1050 cassette. IMO, for $6400, that's ridiculous.

The LTc SPX AM kit is full XT, and comes with the Factory 34 CTD fork at a cost of $700 less.

If you upgrade the rear shock to the Factory Kashima CTD, it's still $500 cheaper.

Oh, and the rear swing arm of the Evo is alloy, the LTc is full carbon.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    I am your size and had both a large tbc and highballc. Bought the new 13 highballc frame and got a LTc, and decided to go xl to run shorter stems (eg 60-70mm). Very happy with the xl in both highballc and LTc.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Tallboy size

I am 5' 11" and ride a TBLTc Large with a 70mm stem, fits perfect. The fork on the LTc makes the bike ride high in the front and at first you might think the cockpit is short, its not you just need to ride it a bit . The 34mm fork and the higher front lets you ride over the front more and stick the tire, mx style. Very fun to ride more like a KTM than a bicycle. My previous bike was a TBc and I really liked it. If you ride xc trails and want quick turn to turn handling then consider the reg. TBc. For climbing I think they are very close with the edge going to the LTc if rough, rocky, root filled climbs. I just rode the Slick Rock trail in Moab on my TBLTc and I was amazed. I figured that the long travel and slack angles would be a disadvantage but not at all. The bike really does everything well in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    6'2" with 34" inseam. Ride a large TRc, but demoed both a Tallboy c and TB LTc in XL at Interbike. They felt great with perfect fit.

My next Santa Cruz will be an XL - and a 29er!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I have both a Large 2010 TBc (75mm stem, Reba 120mm fork), and a Large 2012 TBLTc (60mm stem , Revelation 140mm fork). Both bikes have a Thompson Elite setback seatposts with the saddle at about mid-rail. I ride very rocky stuff here in central PA and prefer the TBLTc for its extra travel and added BB height but find the geometry a bit slacker than I like; the TBc geometry feels perfect. Both bikes climb equally well.
    Last edited by Zenith42; 11-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    6'1.5" XL 50mm stem - Tallboy LT
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Im 5'10 and trying to decide between a M or L TB LTc. Shop is pushing a M with a slightly longer stem and a saddle adjust. I rode a friends M on a 5 mile trail and it felt a bit cramped when climbing. Though this was without any adjustments. Also, I use flat pedals and couldn't shake the feeling that my feet would contact the front wheel on aggressive turns. Not sure if the latter would change much with a 1" size increase. I am also new to 29s so this could be the norm and something that goes away with more time on the bike.

Thanks in advance for the input

beater
    If you've already ridden a medium and felt cramped, I think that says a lot right there. It jumps out at me as a 'red flag' word. I personally chose the smaller size when I'm been on the cusp between sizes, but I've always been happy with the result and never felt cramped.

You didn't mention what length stem your friend's bike had, but to me the TBLTc isn't the kind of bike that you want to try and shoehorn into with a longer stem.

Do they have either of them in stock - can you try the L? Are they trying to move the M, or do they just honestly think it would fit you better?
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    I've decided to purchase my first 29er and test drove a Stumpjumper evo expert carbon in a large size and a Tallbot LTc in a XL size since that was the only size they had. I am 6'1" and weight around 195lbs. My inseam is around 34 inches. The tallboy LTc XL rode great but felt alot bigger than the stumpjumper large. Do you think the Tallby LTC Large would fit better for someone my size and weight. I wanted to try the tallboy ltc large but they did not have one in that size. Can you pls post how tall you are and what size tallboy LTc you have. It's a tough choice but I'm leaning towards the tallbot Ltc over the stumpumper evo expert carbon but am not sure what size would be best for me.

Thanks

P.S. Should I also be looking at the Tallboy or is the Tallboy Ltc the way to go. I normally ride the trails around the Auburn area in Northern California.
    If you go for the Tallboy you'll always wonder what it would have been like to own a Tallboy LTc ...
    I am 6' with 33" inseam weighing in at 190lbs and ride a Large - fits like a glove. With a 50mm stem. You might consider going for a L instead of an XL.

mtbr member
    I rode the both sizes in the parking lot. The M felt good with the saddle moved back a bit. The L felt to big, specifically in reach to the bars.
    I didn't want to play with my friends set up so I made no seat adjustments. I believe he said he is using an 80 or 85mm stem. I did not feel cramped until I started uphill. Also, I hit my shoe on the tire when turning out of my driveway. No problems on the hill but still couldn't shake the feeling it would be.

mtbr member
    Missed the last part of your note. The M is an SPX kit and the L is a RAM. I will get much better components for my money on the SPX... both are 30% off MSRP. LBS believes the M can be adjusted to the right fit and the superior parts should make it a "no brainer". That said its still 1000s coming out of my bank account.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

TBLTc size

I am 5'11" and ride a TBC and TBLTc in a size large. I use a 70mm stem and its perfect for what this bike is intended for. I also run a 720mm bar which helps. At 5'10" I would think a large would be the size. If you had to you could run a 50mm stem. I forgot that I run a dropper post that sets the seat back a bit from a straight Thompson so there is some room for adjusting the reach.

mtbr member
    The shop just called. One of the M SPX is labeled incorrectly. Its actually an L. I asked them to add stem legnth to the M and change to a 60mm from a 70mm on the L. Planning to try both in the morning and hopefully have a new bike for the weekend. My bet is I'll be going home with the L.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I have a TBc (non LT) in XL, and I am 6-1.
    You are right in between L and XL. Im guessing you will be happy with either size.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the XL did feel a little on the big size and they did not have a large. Maybe I need to try a large before I end up purchasing one.

mtbr member
    I went with the L 60mm stem combo. Once I got the saddle height right is was a perfect fit. Can't wait to take it out.