Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Tallboy 2 or Ripley?

So many nice bikes this year, every time I think I have it figured out something else pops up. I thought I wanted the Spider Comp then the SB95 came out, thought I wanted that then the Ripley came out, thought I needed that and now the Tallboy2. All awesome bikes, what are your favorites and why?

Carbon & Ti rule
    You need to ride as many bikes as you can & get a clear idea of what it is you want out of a bike.

Off the saddle
    How much travel do you need?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You need to ride as many bikes as you can & get a clear idea of what it is you want out of a bike.
    Holy ****! I never thought I see that recommendation from you. Nice not to see the everything is crap and only a Niner is best for you.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Trying to convince myself i dont need that much travel, The shortest travel bike I've ever had is the Lunchbox im riding now, I'm in the process of building a Canfield One for AM/DH use and would like a shorter travel 29er I can put some serious miles on. The problem I have is when I get to a rough (fun) spot, am I going to be wishing for a little more travel again? The Ripley 120 looks pretty interesting and may have just enough travel to keep me happy but for the trails i'll be riding probably not totally necessary. All the Tallboy reviews pretty much make it out to be the best 29er ever but some people seem to wish for a little more suspension. I wonder if the suspension refinements on the TB2 addressed that? I know the best thing to do is ride them all but haven't been able to find even one of to ride! Can the Ripley at 120mm pedal as well as the TB2 at 100mm? Is the TB2 going to be boring in the AZ chunky trails?

Carbon & Ti rule
    There is a lot that you need to work out for your needs.

Some times being under biked can be a lot of fun & give the rider a lot faster feel ( even if sometimes it's not )

I had a Jet9 alloy & my 09 Rip9 alloy at the same time & the Rip9 Alloy was all but as fast as my alloy jet9 but it felt slower & not as much fun on the easy trails.

So the lighter carbon bikes with more travel feel much more alive on the easy trails than the heavier alloy version bikes used to.

So the options get bigger if you spend more money.

I have been using a Jet9 RDO for over the last year & it is a very very good pedaler & it is very quick in the ruff as well.

I also have a Rip9 RDO & it is 125mm in the rear where the Jet9 RDO is 100mm.

I was expecting the Rip9 RDO to be no where near as good of a pedaling bike or climber as the Jet9 RDO, But man it is very close.

The Rip9 RDO would still work well if you were looking to do some races & wanted a bike that you can go & deal to the ruff as well.

My Rip9 RDO is built with 780mm bars, Pike 35 fork, dropper seat post, 180mm rotors.XX1, I9 trail carbon wheels & the bike comes in at 26.6 lb & it still feels very alive even on easy trails.

So fame weights & price of the top end bikes are not to far off each other, So work out what build kit you can afford to put on it & that may help work out what bike would be best with that build kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you are coming from a Lunchbox(been there), the Ripley might seem a tad under-gunned for you. Does it pedal well? Extremely. Is it a Lunchbox? Nowhere close. It is an efficient machine with a very supple rear suspension. It isn't as "stable" at high speeds as others I've mentioned below. Part of that is the wheelbase (and reach) is very short for a size Large bike in comparison to others in this category. This results in a nimble, flickable, toss-able bike. For me however, I think I would have liked mine more if it had been an XL. As it was, it felt a little "nervous" pointed down at higher speeds.

If you want to split the difference between a Lunchbox and an XC racer, the SB95c, RIP9 RDO and Spider Comp are all great pedaling trail bikes. The Ripley reminds me of a Lenz Mammoth(been there too) in Carbon.

Lesson here is, go demo if you can. Newer to the market doesn't equal better, so don't rule out your initial choices either.

If you are wondering, yes I have owned all the bikes that I have mentioned at one point in time. I am a self confessed bike whore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Colin+m, I still have my eye on the Spider. Is that a bike you would be comfortable taking on a 50 miler? What are you riding now (or going to ride)? lol. Anyone one have any comment on the TB on the downhills, stable, wanting a little more suspension maybe? Thanks for all the help so far!

mtbr member
    I know plenty of guys who rip around the local hills/trails (SoCal) on TBs. I personally have the TB LTc. It climbs well but not quite as efficient as the 4" version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The TB2 does have slacker head tube at 70.2 from the previous 71. Not sure why they didn't go with flat out 70 or 69.5? Plus it is lighter. I loved the tallboy carbon, I was not too happy with the RP23, maybe it was the tune on the shock. I suppose they could've increased the travel overall on the bike but it seems they didn't want to change it too dramatically. I would've like to see a 130mm fork option for customers like OP looking for more travel. While the TBC is a good bike, not good, it is a great bike, a bit more travel (with a bit slacker HTA/ 17in chain stays) would really make it hard to pass on.

Listen its been discussed at length how good this bike really is on every MTB site, many threads, and for a reason. I just think, IMO, they could've done some more minor tweaks to it. Seems suspension has been adjusted for maximum pedal efficiency, one thing some did not like. OP, now is the time, where do you live? Look for a Santa Cruz demo in your area and test the TBC2 out. I also suggest you try out the TBLTC, you may really love that one too. Its going to be heavier but will give all the travel you need. Seems the TB2 will be a bit quicker bike, I thought the one I had last year was really fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    OH I forgot, Santa Cruz is releasing one more new bike, so I've heard. Give it a couple of weeks and see what else they are coming out with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    The TB2 does have slacker head tube at 70.2 from the previous 71. Not sure why they didn't go with flat out 70 or 69.5? Plus it is lighter. I loved the tallboy carbon, I was not too happy with the RP23, maybe it was the tune on the shock. I suppose they could've increased the travel overall on the bike but it seems they didn't want to change it too dramatically. I would've like to see a 130mm fork option for customers like OP looking for more travel. While the TBC is a good bike, not good, it is a great bike, a bit more travel (with a bit slacker HTA/ 17in chain stays) would really make it hard to pass on.

Listen its been discussed at length how good this bike really is on every MTB site, many threads, and for a reason. I just think, IMO, they could've done some more minor tweaks to it. Seems suspension has been adjusted for maximum pedal efficiency, one thing some did not like. OP, now is the time, where do you live? Look for a Santa Cruz demo in your area and test the TBC2 out. I also suggest you try out the TBLTC, you may really love that one too. Its going to be heavier but will give all the travel you need. Seems the TB2 will be a bit quicker bike, I thought the one I had last year was really fast.
    Someone already posted that they noticed the AC height was different. The original numbers were with a 100mm fork and the new numbers are with 120mm fork.
    I would guess the 120mm was the most popular option, so they went ahead and gave the numbers with that fork.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    OH I forgot, Santa Cruz is releasing one more new bike, so I've heard. Give it a couple of weeks and see what else they are coming out with.
    This is what I'm waiting for. Moving the TBLT to the all mountain category makes a lot of people suspect the new bike will be a 120mm Tallboy.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

bog
    mtbr member
    Gotta throw the Turner Czar into the discussion also. It looks killer and knowing Turner and Weagle, it will ride very well also.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you are also looking at doing 50 milers on the bike then the Rip9 RDO would be Awesome, It is a super good pedaling bike, The CVA really works well.

The frame is very stiff & with 125mm fear travel it soaks up the trail but is still XC bike fast.

mtbr member
    Tallboy LT 2 coming?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you are also looking at doing 50 milers on the bike then the Rip9 RDO would be Awesome, It is a super good pedaling bike, The CVA really works well.

The frame is very stiff & with 125mm fear travel it soaks up the trail but is still XC bike fast.
    I agree. Maybe the best bike I've ridden.

Tallboy 2 or Ripley?-mtbr.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtbr.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	806828
    Holy jeebus what a beautiful bike. How do you compare it to the Ibis Ripley, Spider comp and SB95c as you mentioned above you have owned?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I loved the Ibis, so don't take this wrong but it just isn't the same type of bike as the Yeti, Spider and Rip9. It is fast, pedals fantastically and has a short wheelbase. However, it was a tad to "nimble" for my tastes. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I would fit better on an XL, but it was very twitchy on the fast, twisty, downward chunk. It turns so well that it totally threw me off. I guess I am just to used to slower turning bikes. It is like when you increase the x/y axis sensitivity on a video game, lots of over-correction going on.

In terms of the Yeti and Spider, they are both fantastic but I think the Niner edges them both in suspension performance. I don't know if its the new bearing design they are using or what, but it feels that like there is no resistance to bumps/roots/rocks etc. Very impressive.

More words and pics here Wow!

Carbon & Ti rule

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtbr.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	806828
    Ok now I like the Black almost as much as the Blue, That bike looks Awesome

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In comparison to the post above, the nimbleness of the Ripley really impressed me. For reference, I own the TBC and love it. I recently spent a weekend in Denver with demos of the Ripley and the SC Tallboy LTC. The Ripley was instantly comfortable but it took me a while to adjust to the slacked out geometry of the LTC. The Ripley is just as quick as the regular TB but slightly plusher. Once I adjusted to the TB LT geo, it was great fun but definitely a run over / jump off anything kind of bike, which to me, in my typical trail conditions, is a little overkill, and i prefer a more nimble, flickable bike. I haven't ridden the TB2 but I can tell you that the original TBC and the Ripley are pretty similar and both tons of fun, if you don't need deep travel or super slack geometry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok now I like the Black almost as much as the Blue, That bike looks Awesome
    Thanks Muzz! Now if my Pike ever comes in it will be murdered out in black for sure.

I kept re-visiting that conversation we had months ago when I was thinking about getting the Tallboy LTc vs. Turner Sultan. The black does look great. I have seen the blue in person and it is gorgeous with the metallic flake.

I truly was amazed at how well the suspension performed. It was like there was no resistance to wheel tracking, you know like it is supposed to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KMalo View Post
    In comparison to the post above, the nimbleness of the Ripley really impressed me. For reference, I own the TBC and love it. I recently spent a weekend in Denver with demos of the Ripley and the SC Tallboy LTC. The Ripley was instantly comfortable but it took me a while to adjust to the slacked out geometry of the LTC. The Ripley is just as quick as the regular TB but slightly plusher. Once I adjusted to the TB LT geo, it was great fun but definitely a run over / jump off anything kind of bike, which to me, in my typical trail conditions, is a little overkill, and i prefer a more nimble, flickable bike. I haven't ridden the TB2 but I can tell you that the original TBC and the Ripley are pretty similar and both tons of fun, if you don't need deep travel or super slack geometry.

I agree with this 100%. I personally like to overkill/overbuild my bikes, but the Ripley would handle 99.9% of my riding in reality. I really want to try an XL sometime in the future.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I have the Pike on mine now & it match's this bike so well.

Thanks Muzz! Now if my Pike ever comes in it will be murdered out in black for sure.

I kept re-visiting that conversation we had months ago when I was thinking about getting the Tallboy LTc vs. Turner Sultan. The black does look great. I have seen the blue in person and it is gorgeous with the metallic flake.

I truly was amazed at how well the suspension performed. It was like there was no resistance to wheel tracking, you know like it is supposed to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm sure it may be coming and I've been waiting for it, but will MTBR do a comparison of the RIP 9 RDO (125m travel) vs the Tallboy LTc (135mm travel)? Even throw in SB95, why not...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast