Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    I Own the Rip9 RDO but haven't ridden either of the 2 bikes, But here is what I can say.

When I brought the Rip9 RDO I was sure that the Jet9 RDO that I have & beleave to be about the best pedaling FS bike out there, would eat the Rip9 RDO on climbs & that is not the case.

The Rip9 RDO with the CVA & being only 125mm rear travel has been enough to keep it pedaling like a fast XC bike but has enough travel to soak up most trails.

The Tallboy LT rides seem to say that the LT doesn't pedal as well as the Std Tallboy & you wouldn't expect it to ( not that I rate the Std tallboy as being a good pedaling bike )

Before I get people saying I don't know what I'm talking about just take into account that Santa Cruz say they have upgraded the Tallboy 2 in the places I have said for years it needed.

So I can't say weather the Rip9 will be better on the downs than the LT ( It does have less travel ) but to go up & down I'm sure the Rip9 RDO will be better.

I only know of 1 person so far that has gone from a Tallboy LTc to a Rip9 RDO & he seems happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    I'm sure it may be coming and I've been waiting for it, but will MTBR do a comparison of the RIP 9 RDO (125m travel) vs the Tallboy LTc (135mm travel)? Even throw in SB95, why not...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That would be me, and the RDO is better.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Trying to convince myself i dont need that much travel, The shortest travel bike I've ever had is the Lunchbox im riding now, I'm in the process of building a Canfield One for AM/DH use and would like a shorter travel 29er I can put some serious miles on. The problem I have is when I get to a rough (fun) spot, am I going to be wishing for a little more travel again? The Ripley 120 looks pretty interesting and may have just enough travel to keep me happy but for the trails i'll be riding probably not totally necessary. All the Tallboy reviews pretty much make it out to be the best 29er ever but some people seem to wish for a little more suspension. I wonder if the suspension refinements on the TB2 addressed that? I know the best thing to do is ride them all but haven't been able to find even one of to ride! Can the Ripley at 120mm pedal as well as the TB2 at 100mm? Is the TB2 going to be boring in the AZ chunky trails?

Almost everyone on this website and on pinkbike, ridemonkey etc etc think they need more travel than they need. They end up with bikes that have more travel then end up throwing dollars at the (over) bike they just bought trying to make it lighter.

Where do you live? What kinds of trails do you ride? You mention AZ but that's a big place. Sedona? Phoenix?

Are you a big guy? Small guy? Weight?

What about improving your skills so you can handle the rougher/funner spot better even when you're on the smaller bike? Then just enjoying the smaller bike for what it is? Not trying to be an ass here but just making an alternate suggestion
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Carbon & Ti rule
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Almost everyone on this website and on pinkbike, ridemonkey etc etc think they need more travel than they need. They end up with bikes that have more travel then end up throwing dollars at the (over) bike they just bought trying to make it lighter.

Where do you live? What kinds of trails do you ride? You mention AZ but that's a big place. Sedona? Phoenix?

Are you a big guy? Small guy? Weight?

What about improving your skills so you can handle the rougher/funner spot better even when you're on the smaller bike? Then just enjoying the smaller bike for what it is? Not trying to be an ass here but just making an alternate suggestion

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    LeeL, was hoping you would chime in. I know you like the TB and have been riding everything under the sun. Do you still own an is it still your favorite bike? I know you have been doing a lot on the 650b's lately, Liking those better? Anyways Im 6', 230 geared up and have ok skills. I've been riding big travel bikes forever and have become a point and shoot rider. I had a Yelli Screamy for a while and that was a little nerve racking at times because I had to slow it down and pick better lines or constantly pinch flat. I live in Phx and the trails here are pretty rough, or the newer trails they are building are like sidewalks. I do go to Sedona, Prescott, Flagg, and Sunrise. I'm building a Canfield One for the big days but tired of dying on my Lunchbox on the XCish longer rides I do. I'm kinda scared of 100mm at my weight and was wondering if the new crop of 120's were anywhere close in performance. I'm sure 100mm is plenty but its just a mental block I think. Still looking for a demo on one of these things, its hot here so no tours coming for a while!

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy 2 or Ripley?

I believe the 71 degree angle was measured with 100mm fork, while 70.2 is with 120...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm a 6'2" and near 200 pound endurance racer, and cannot budge the new Turner Czar. Really stiff laterally. Fast, firm, but just smooth enough. Handles nimbly, but is NOT twitchy with a 100 mm fork (120 would suit it fine too, I think). Really begs for the whip, and pedals oh so efficiently during those last few hours of an all day suffer-fest.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Trying to convince myself i dont need that much travel, The shortest travel bike I've ever had is the Lunchbox im riding now, I'm in the process of building a Canfield One for AM/DH use and would like a shorter travel 29er I can put some serious miles on. The problem I have is when I get to a rough (fun) spot, am I going to be wishing for a little more travel again? The Ripley 120 looks pretty interesting and may have just enough travel to keep me happy but for the trails i'll be riding probably not totally necessary. All the Tallboy reviews pretty much make it out to be the best 29er ever but some people seem to wish for a little more suspension. I wonder if the suspension refinements on the TB2 addressed that? I know the best thing to do is ride them all but haven't been able to find even one of to ride! Can the Ripley at 120mm pedal as well as the TB2 at 100mm? Is the TB2 going to be boring in the AZ chunky trails?
    At 230# you're a good deal bigger than me. Mass matters. I ride the Tallboy (personal bike) very hard but I'm only 160lbs so am hesitant to recommend that for a big guy.

Mike Levy loved the Ripley and like me he rides smaller bikes like bigger bikes so I'd say his impressions out of the Pinkbike review should be taken pretty seriously.

Bottom line is that for you at your size and weight and given the fact that you have the happy circumstance of living in one of the few places in the US where the trails are seriously abusive and technical if you have a 29er you need either heavy'ish wheels (think Stans Arch or Flows as opposed to Crests) and at least a 34mm fork.

I have no opinion on Niners since I've not ridden any.

I like the 650b's I've tried but to be honest, I don't view them as any much different than a 26" wheeled bike other than in specific situations where I'm switching on reviewer brain and trying to look for a difference.

I thought the Lunchbox was fine when I rode it but it was set up as a bigger bike and not as a pedalling bike. Bluntly, it was ordinary. But it was my first longer travel 29er and I've now come to the opinion after riding a few that I personally don't really enjoy long travel 29ers and prefer them in the shorter travel versions.

I'll be getting a Czar but it'll be in light weight guy build so I doubt I can say much of relevance about it to you till I actually get some riding time on it.

Bottom line - to me its not the travel so much as the fact that all your components need to be a bit burlier. Also take a long hard look at geo as you'd want something which will allow you to have fun in AZ type terrain, which is radically different than terrain in many other places
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At 230# you're a good deal bigger than me. Mass matters. I ride the Tallboy (personal bike) very hard but I'm only 160lbs so am hesitant to recommend that for a big guy.

Mike Levy loved the Ripley and like me he rides smaller bikes like bigger bikes so I'd say his impressions out of the Pinkbike review should be taken pretty seriously.

Bottom line is that for you at your size and weight and given the fact that you have the happy circumstance of living in one of the few places in the US where the trails are seriously abusive and technical if you have a 29er you need either heavy'ish wheels (think Stans Arch or Flows as opposed to Crests) and at least a 34mm fork.

I have no opinion on Niners since I've not ridden any.

I like the 650b's I've tried but to be honest, I don't view them as any much different than a 26" wheeled bike other than in specific situations where I'm switching on reviewer brain and trying to look for a difference.

I thought the Lunchbox was fine when I rode it but it was set up as a bigger bike and not as a pedalling bike. Bluntly, it was ordinary. But it was my first longer travel 29er and I've now come to the opinion after riding a few that I personally don't really enjoy long travel 29ers and prefer them in the shorter travel versions.

I'll be getting a Czar but it'll be in light weight guy build so I doubt I can say much of relevance about it to you till I actually get some riding time on it.

Bottom line - to me its not the travel so much as the fact that all your components need to be a bit burlier. Also take a long hard look at geo as you'd want something which will allow you to have fun in AZ type terrain, which is radically different than terrain in many other places
    I built my TBc to be somewhat of the trail bike you describe. I'm 200lb out of the shower, put a Float 34mm shimmed to 120mm on the front and 36 hole Hope 2 Evos with FlowEX. I'm enjoying it as a trail bike.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 06-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What's wrong with the Lunchbox?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Lunchbox is a great, probably the best long travel trail bike out there! I just have a constant need to try new things and the Canfield has been calling my name for a while. I have a feeling I going to regret selling it but I guess I can always get another!

Trail Ninja
    If you outride a 100mm FS 29er like a Tallboy or maybe something like the RM Element BC Edition, and want a longer travel FS 29er, I'd suggest checking out:

Yeti SB95c
    Niner RIP9 RDO
    Intense Spider 29 Comp
    Cannondale Trigger 29 1 (with Lefty Supermax)
    Cube Stereo Super HPC 29

If the Trigger 29 1 comes out in carbon, I'd put that at the top of my list.

I will say though, it's very hard to really outride a quality 100mm FS 29er on any trail which you can pedal up using your own power. I did a lot even on my GF Superfly 100, which is considered flexy by today's standards (light, balanced, and forgiving in its day), to the point I felt like I was outriding it and while the TB felt better, it wasn't enough of an upgrade that justified buying it. I went from the SF100 to a SB95, sold on its confidence and capability, which actually turned out to be overkill, too heavy, too small (size small, since I was more interested in stack height and wheelbase), with suspension so good it made my local trails not challenging anymore. I then went to a Spider 29 Comp, which I feel is better than the competition at the time (really only the Tallboy LTc, before SB95c came out), and had the longer 23.5" TT I like for an all-around versatile trail bike, but I find my hardtail a bit more enjoyable than it for some reason, which I started riding more ever since the SB95 turned me onto it (to get the challenge back).

I'd recommend picking according to your skill level and local trails difficulty level. Don't be too hopeful, thinking you'd ride tougher out of town trails more with a bigger bike. The SB95 is a serious enabler and the Trigger takes that even further, closer to a DH bike in capability and confidence. If you're a newbie who cowers so much that you don't attempt sections that are consider merely intermediate, these would help knock down the mental barriers; if you're experienced and have a decent skill base that's ever expanding, riding for 2-3 years as your join date indicates, I'd say go for the lighter and shorter travel bike. IMO, of course. You asked for my "favorites" (29ers), and I listed them, according to the interest I have in them. Things seem to be getting better and better, though in relatively minor increments. If you're chasing the "best for you", expect to find your ride getting trumped by some new release that might suit you better in no time. Ask yourself, what's good enough for you, rather than simply what's good, and you might just find yourself satisfied with a "lesser" bike. If it weren't for the deals I got on the SB95 and Spider 29 Comp, not really losing money moving up from the SB95 (alloy) considering how much I rode it, I wouldn't have really upgraded from the Superfly 100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anybody ridden a Devinci Atlas carbon? I keep coming back to this one, very interesting! Hard to find many good ride reports on it though. The seat angle looks a little funky and the short stays seem like they would be fun but whats the downside to them? I was just checking out the Cube, also another very interesting bike. I think i need to ride the RDO though, some pretty convincing testimonies here. Never have been a Niner fan, especially with the aircraft carrier length chainstays and steep head angles. They've improved a little but maybe it just doesn't matter like Collin+M says.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anybody ridden a Devinci Atlas carbon? I keep coming back to this one, very interesting! Hard to find many good ride reports on it though. The seat angle looks a little funky and the short stays seem like they would be fun but whats the downside to them? I was just checking out the Cube, also another very interesting bike. I think i need to ride the RDO though, some pretty convincing testimonies here. Never have been a Niner fan, especially with the aircraft carrier length chainstays and steep head angles. They've improved a little but maybe it just doesn't matter like Collin+M says.
    The thread right above this one right now has many pages and is about the devinci atlas carbon...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Never have been a Niner fan, especially with the aircraft carrier length chainstays and steep head angles. They've improved a little but maybe it just doesn't matter like Collin+M says.
    I think those were their original FS bikes of years past. On paper the new RIP9 RDO is just as slack at 69.5 and the chainstays are actually shorter at 17.7 than the LTc at 17.9. Both with 140mm forks.
    R.I.P. 9 RDO
    Santa Cruz Bicycles TALLBOYLT CARBON
    Ripley 29 | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US
    The Ripley looks more like a long-legged XC bike on paper with a 120, but throw on a 140mm fork and it becomes slacker than both bikes at 68.5 and has 17.5" cs length. I will ride all three if I can.

What I've learned is to ride bikes rather than look at geo figures. I have a Giant with 18.2" chainstays that rides better than some of my friends $6000+ carbon bikes with shorter chainstays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's more about the sum of the parts and how they all work together rather than focusing on one or two Geometry numbers. In other words, you don't know until you try.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have owned a Jet 9 RDO and a now own a Tallboy carbon. The Tallboy climbs better but the Jet 9 RDO is slightly smoother on the descents. Both are great bike but neither is better then the other. The Jet 9 has weird sizing: medium is smaller and the large is big. Both are great bikes. The Yet SB95c may have the best mix of both attributes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    There is a lot that you need to work out for your needs.

Some times being under biked can be a lot of fun & give the rider a lot faster feel ( even if sometimes it's not )

I had a Jet9 alloy & my 09 Rip9 alloy at the same time & the Rip9 Alloy was all but as fast as my alloy jet9 but it felt slower & not as much fun on the easy trails.

So the lighter carbon bikes with more travel feel much more alive on the easy trails than the heavier alloy version bikes used to.

So the options get bigger if you spend more money.

I have been using a Jet9 RDO for over the last year & it is a very very good pedaler & it is very quick in the ruff as well.

I also have a Rip9 RDO & it is 125mm in the rear where the Jet9 RDO is 100mm.

I was expecting the Rip9 RDO to be no where near as good of a pedaling bike or climber as the Jet9 RDO, But man it is very close.

The Rip9 RDO would still work well if you were looking to do some races & wanted a bike that you can go & deal to the ruff as well.

My Rip9 RDO is built with 780mm bars, Pike 35 fork, dropper seat post, 180mm rotors.XX1, I9 trail carbon wheels & the bike comes in at 26.6 lb & it still feels very alive even on easy trails.

So fame weights & price of the top end bikes are not to far off each other, So work out what build kit you can afford to put on it & that may help work out what bike would be best with that build kit.
    Great advice... Just try something non Niner as well.

On a side note I need accesses to Muz's bike bank account.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    It's more about the sum of the parts and how they all work together rather than focusing on one or two Geometry numbers. In other words, you don't know until you try.
    I have a slack HT (Intesnse Hard Eddie)... I am only slightly slower on AM type down hill trails vs. My 5 1/4 FS travel bike. Its a lot of fun too... Slack geo makes it possible.

mtbr member

With the current crop of bikes I think this post rings true. I have been happily surprised how much more I enjoy riding my 140mm Knolly Endorphin over my 160mm Chilcotin in almost every situation.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2