Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Tallboy 2 C build , need some advise.

Hey,

I just got a 2014 tallboy 2 C and have a few ideas on how to build it but I would like some recomendations.

Here is my list so far:

Wheels : Flow ex with hope pro 2 evo
    Saddle: WTB silverado
    Fork: 2014 SID RCT3 120mm
    Drivetrain: X01
    Brakes: SLX
    Grips: ESI chunky

Havent decided on seatpost and handlebar yet.

Should I get a Dropper ?, 90% of my riding is XC with semi agresive XC downs.

Is SID a good choice?
    Which BB is good and cheap?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Sid or the Flows... seem out of place. IMHO

Do you intend to race? How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im 240lbs , I dont intend to race. I use Flows to keep the wheels stiff enough to hold my weight. Im 6 4". Do you think the SID will be too flexy?

Clueless Bastard
    It's OK to go an inexpensive route, but I think that frame deserves a touch higher component level...

Post and bars are inconsequential, but I like nice stuff, so Thomson in both instances, dropper or not. I've had a WTB Silverado and thought it was a cheap saddle, mediocre at best. Step up to XT brakes. Damn near XTR and really really good. I guess the SID is fine, but it's purely an XC fork? I've one on my Niner, it's a touch springy.

Cheap BB? Nah...That area (and that specific component) gets a huge amount of use and abuse. Put a King in it.

See how easily I just dropped another 1K on your bike?

What/where/how do you ride?

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by cridom View Post
    Im 240lbs , I dont intend to race. I use Flows to keep the wheels stiff enough to hold my weight. Im 6 4". Do you think the SID will be too flexy?
    Jesus Yes. My SID flexes under my Niner and I'm 165.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A Manitou Marvel Comp is equal to a Tower Pro. It gives you more tuning options.
    An XT bb is fine as long as you clean and grease it periodically. I guess you would have to choose SLX triple crankset and a single n-w aftermarket ring.
    Last edited by eb1888; 3 Days Ago at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Do you think the SID will be too flexy?
    Yeah I would definitely go with a more robust fork. Something with 34mm> stantions. I'd go with a Xfusion Trace, or a Pike, depending on budget. They can be set to 120 or up. I'm 215 lbs and that's what I would do. 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would love a 120mm pike but I dont know If it can be done by someone here (I live in Chile). I have a 100mm Tower pro and love it but It started creaking not long ago and I really hate the creaky stuff. So if SID is too flexy how about a revelation?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Tower Pro may need to be serviced.
    Manitou Tune Spring Install - YouTube
    http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Ser...e%20Manual.pdf
    CRC has a 160mm travel Pike and will ship it to you for $16.
    You could get a couple parts and change the travel to 120. 51mm offset would be good too. It doesn't show on the CRC site.
    Has anyone reduced a 2014 Pike 29er down to 120mm yet?
    Shows the part number 11.4018.02--$38.
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26 / 120mm tTravel 29 A1

So a little work to get things figured out but if it's in your budget a Pike would be my first choice.
    I would drop the Flows and build up a set of Chinese carbon 30mm inside hookless wheels. The width is better for sidewall support and grip in turns and climbing.
    Bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible, outer width AM 35.00/30.00mm & XC 27.00mm - carbon rim (beadless) - Carbon Bicycle, Carbon Frame, Carbon Rims, Carbon Wheels, Carbon Wheelsets, Carbon Mountain Bike, Carbon Road Bike
    I just ordered from here. It was about 358 with shipping for two rims.

EMBA Member
    I'm very happy with the Revelation on my Tallboy, but I run 200 lbs geared up. Not sure what difference the extra 40+ lbs would make.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    CRC has a 160mm travel Pike and will ship it to you for $16.
    You could get a couple parts and change the travel to 120. 51mm offset would be good too. It doesn't show on the CRC site.
    Has anyone reduced a 2014 Pike 29er down to 120mm yet?
    Shows the part number 11.4018.02--$38.
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26 / 120mm tTravel 29 A1

So a little work to get things figured out but if it's in your budget a Pike would be my first choice.
    +10 on the 120mm Pike. I converted one for my Czar build and couldn't be happier. It's a +/- 300 gram weight penalty over the Sid, but sooooo much stiffer and worlds better in the ride quality. Conversion took me maybe an hour, and that was being very methodical and meticulous because I didn't want to F anything up. Well worth the effort!

I'm 6'4" and about 215...very happy to have the Pike under my fat ass!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    240?

Pike or Float 34 FTW!

Revelation probably marginally OK.

Float 32 (but only the 120 chassis) probably also marginally OK.

SID should be eliminated from consideration.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You weigh what I do - Float34 at minimum, but I'd way run the Pike even if it means you're running the alloy version of the frame. Seriously. Get the pike in 140mm, and use their modular "bottomless" plug set to reduce the travel IF you feel you need it.

The SLX brakes are spot on, keep those. Might as well tack on the full SLX drivetrain, in 2x10 format, save for maybe splurging on an XT RD. That's what I run, and it is truly excellent.

Dropper: YES. You want. Even the comparably cheap KS Lev is going to be great, the Reverb Stealth and Lev Integra are more in line with the overcall cost of a 2C. More importantly, you can run a nice commanding XC seat height for 90% of your right, and on those technical downs you can stow it out of the way and be able to place your mass over the bike properly.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    You weigh what I do - Float34 at minimum, but I'd way run the Pike even if it means you're running the alloy version of the frame. Seriously. Get the pike in 140mm, and use their modular "bottomless" plug set to reduce the travel IF you feel you need it.

The SLX brakes are spot on, keep those. Might as well tack on the full SLX drivetrain, in 2x10 format, save for maybe splurging on an XT RD. That's what I run, and it is truly excellent.

Dropper: YES. You want. Even the comparably cheap KS Lev is going to be great, the Reverb Stealth and Lev Integra are more in line with the overcall cost of a 2C. More importantly, you can run a nice commanding XC seat height for 90% of your right, and on those technical downs you can stow it out of the way and be able to place your mass over the bike properly.
    The bottomless tokens are just volume reducers that give you more ramp up at the bottom of the stroke; the travel reduction (and associated A2C reduction) is accomplished by swapping out air shafts.

http://youtu.be/e69N6Pzt9HI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So just the air shaft? how did you do it el castigador? 51 offset better?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

So just the air shaft? how did you do it el castigador? 51 offset better?
    Check out this link for the "how to" of it:

http://blahblahbikeblog.blogspot.ca/...o-air.html?m=1

Took me about an hour.

mtbr member

Have you thought about a carbon wheelset? Almost the same price as flow ex /hope. light bicycle rims 30mm wide with novatec hubs w/xd driver cost about $660 usd delivered also the SIDS will be fine for a 100mm xc bike I have pikes on my bronson and revelations on my TRc
    EDIT: didn't see the 240lbs bit go the lowered pikes just for more stiffness also carbon wheels will be a lot better than alloy flows for the extra $

Trail Ninja
    The Revelation has a beefier crown that definitely increases stiffness over SID. Their lowers also may come available with a 20mm Maxle. This may sound odd, but opt for the alloy crown steerer unit over carbon for increased stiffness if you go this route. The carbon CSU is less stiff according to SRAM.

Not many choices for GXP BB to go with SRAM crankset and threaded bb. The stock BB that comes with the crank isn't bad.

MTB B'dos
    At your weight, I'd definitely say make sure and get a 34mm stanchion fork, even at my paltry RTR weight of between 175-190lbs I used to notice quite a bit of for/aft flex on my Minute and steering precision was definitely no where as good as has been on the F34 and Trace I have used in the last 2 years.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I decided to go for lowered pike, Im still not clear if I should get the 51mm offset one or the normal one. I think Ill stick with flows as I had them from another bike so I can save some cash. can you guys recomend a seat and handlebar not too expensive but good for long rides? where I ride normally the climb is about one a a half hours of 17 inclination and the rest then another 45 min or so of climbs and then all downhill from there . the trails are a bit rocky some small jumps and some techy parts nothing too gnarly. nevertheless its mainly riden by enduro riders. Ill post a video later today so you guys see what I mean.

thanks

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

I decided to go for lowered pike, Im still not clear if I should get the 51mm offset one or the normal one. I think Ill stick with flows as I had them from another bike so I can save some cash. can you guys recomend a seat and handlebar not too expensive but good for long rides? where I ride normally the climb is about one a a half hours of 17° inclination and the rest then another 45 min or so of climbs and then all downhill from there . the trails are a bit rocky some small jumps and some techy parts nothing too gnarly. nevertheless its mainly riden by enduro riders. Ill post a video later today so you guys see what I mean.

thanks
    Check out this thread for a discussion on offset and its impact on the "trail" number:

Czar Fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ran mt TBc with 36h Flow EX and a Fox 34 shimmed down to 120mm. I think people that haven't ridden a TBc don't give it much credit. It's a lot more capable than the 100mm rear travel suggests.

I liked the Easton carbon riser that came stock on it at the time.

I'd get the 51mm offset. If you're looking to save some cash, I'll be selling the 2012 Fox 34. Just haven't cleaned it up yet- just put a new 36 on my Lenz.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Apparently no one dislikes the 51 offset so I may as well get it with offset. correct me if Im wrong but doesnt really matter if I get a 160 or 140 pike because Im switching the rod anyways to shorten it right? from what Ive read the only diference is the air rod and maybe less bottomless tokens on. By the way I wanna thank you all for the advise and steering away from the sid and directing me to the pike!. Its funny how things turn out, I was looking at the tallboy lt because of the option of using a pike but didnt want a long travel 29er , and now if I lower a pike (I didnt think it could be done) I will get all I wanted!!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Apparently no one dislikes the 51 offset so I may as well get it with offset. correct me if Im wrong but doesnt really matter if I get a 160 or 140 pike because Im switching the rod anyways to shorten it right? from what Ive read the only diference is the air rod and maybe less bottomless tokens on. By the way I wanna thank you all for the advise and steering away from the sid and directing me to the pike!. Its funny how things turn out, I was looking at the tallboy lt because of the option of using a pike but didnt want a long travel 29er , and now if I lower a pike (I didnt think it could be done) I will get all I wanted!!
    Yep, same part numbers across all Pike platforms for a given wheel size, except for the air shaft...which means you can convert a 140 to a 160, a 120 to a 140, and all other sorts of unholy combinations.

You will NOT be disappointed with the Pike.

Here's my Czar with the Pike in 120 mode:

Last edited by El Castigador; 3 Days Ago at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice bike man!!! Ill post pics in a couple of weeks when all the stuff gets here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast