Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cridom View Post
    correct me if Im wrong but doesnt really matter if I get a 160 or 140 pike because Im switching the rod anyways to shorten it right? from what Ive read the only diference is the air rod and maybe less bottomless tokens on.
    Unless there is a price reduction in getting the 160, I would get the 140. SC approves the use of a 140mm fork on the tallboy within warranty, if I remember correctly. Having the 140 airshaft as an option, could come in handy some day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You are right, I didnt think of that. any recomendation on where to get a Pike it needs to have international shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Rockshox Pike RCT3 29" Fork 2014 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA

Apparently you can order the 120mm version from Jenson, but it's backordered.
    You could find out the wait time. I'm not necessarily recommending them, good or bad, but a quick search turned up the fact you can order it at 120.

mtbr member
    Unless it has changed, I believe X0 uses carbon cranks. While I haven't heard complaints about them, at 240lbs I'd think about that. I don't know what you ride but how about a 1x10? Save a bit of weight and save yourself some money for shifter and front derailleur.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Tallboy 2 C build , need some advise.

Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Unless there is a price reduction in getting the 160, I would get the 140. SC approves the use of a 140mm fork on the tallboy within warranty, if I remember correctly. Having the 140 airshaft as an option, could come in handy some day.
    That's sound advice...I actually enjoyed the 140 on my Czar for the shakedown ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok, Im ready to get the pike but I have a dilema. On one hand I can order it from Jenson as I have a coupon for a good discount and that way I can get the 51 offset one. on the other hand there is a store here who has one in stock but without a box and all the included stuff that comes in it. I dont know if this one is a 51 offset or not (is there a way to tell?) but the price is very similar, the only advantage is that its here is an easier purchase and dont have to wait. also El castigador did you put more bottomless tokens when reducing to 120mm from 140mm?
    thanks

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Not sure how to measure the offset, and I added the recommended number of tokens per this chart as a baseline. It feels great the way it is, but you may want to remove one or two if you prefer a more linear air spring.

http://blahblahbikeblog.blogspot.ca/...o-air.html?m=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do you have the 51mm one or the standard one? I would like a 51mm from what I have read but is it a dealbreaker? if its not much diferent maybe I could just get the one here and save me the hassle of importing and duty payments etc.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Do you have the 51mm one or the standard one? I would like a 51mm from what I have read but is it a dealbreaker? if its not much diferent maybe I could just get the one here and save me the hassle of importing and duty payments etc.
    I talked to Dave Turner about it, and he said the 46mm offset with the axle to crown of the Pike and the resulting headtube angle would make it too slow-steering. I don't know either way, but I do know of another guy on a Czar (CrashTheDog) with the 46mm offset Pike set to 120mm, and he loves it. Maybe drop him a line for more feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, is it safe to say the TB2c is similar to the Czar in handling right?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Thanks, is it safe to say the TB2c is similar to the Czar in handling right?
    The TB2c wishes :-)

Actually, I don't know too much about the TB2c, but for the sake of this discussion I think they could be considered similar.

mtbr member
    Ok, Im ready to get the pike but I have a dilema. On one hand I can order it from Jenson as I have a coupon for a good discount and that way I can get the 51 offset one. on the other hand there is a store here who has one in stock but without a box and all the included stuff that comes in it. I dont know if this one is a 51 offset or not (is there a way to tell?) but the price is very similar, the only advantage is that its here is an easier purchase and dont have to wait. also El castigador did you put more bottomless tokens when reducing to 120mm from 140mm?
    thanks
    Surely there's some fine print somewhere on the fork leg, stating if it's 51 offset?

When I'm spending this much money on a singular item, I want everything to be just right. Like, I'd want all the items that come with the fork. I wouldn't take anything less than perfect, unless that other fork is significantly price reduced to make it worth it to settle for less. my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok, after some thinking I went ahead and ordered the pike online, finally Jenson was selling the 120mm version solo air rct3 51mm offset!!!! so I wont be needing airshafts or anything. Now I need to decide on drivetrain, Is carbon gonna hold my weight fine? Im 240lbs and ride semi agressive XC type trails some enduro trails too. I like the idea of 1x11 for the simplicity and chain control. I was thinking all X01 and xx1 crank so I can get a 28T front ring. The climbing here is long and tough, some climbs are 25-30 % grades. If carbon is too breakable, can I get a light tough crank and use a 28T or something with 11 gears in the back?

thanks

mtbr member
    here are some random thoughts from my research into 1x11.

You can swap out the spider on the xo1 crank to hold a 28 ring too, using the xx1 spider. There are other choices such as RaceFace. Look to see if they list a weight limit, but in general, carbon is just as strong... just don't hit anything pointy.

Pedaling the 28 ring will affect the TB suspension characteristics by chainline. Some will notice, others not. I think optimal is 32-34??? someone can correct me. So always riding the 28t may bother you, may not.

If you look through the Sram forum on here, you will see people complaining about longevity of the 42 gear, and their chainrings. At 240 it's something to consider.

As you can tell, I'm still on the fence about 1x11, because I would use the 42 a lot... I need me some granny gear sometimes, and they are really expensive cassettes. I would want to run a 30t, which would mean even more 42 gear usage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2