mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Tall Boy pivot lube

I have a Tall Boy Carbon and I've noticed that when I inject grease (using the supplied grease and gun) into the zirk fittings the displaced grease only seeps out of one side of the pivot barrel. This concerns me, as I wonder if the entire bearing (bushing?) surface is getting lubed. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Same here.
    The only thing that gets lubed is the axle imo.
    The bearings are sealed, grease won't get in but it prevents dirt to get in too.
    That's what counts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would be much more comfortable if I saw fresh grease oozing out both sides. I try to grease after every ride that involves water, so lately I have been greasing it a lot. I really think one side of the pivot must be very dry. I don't like it.

Trail Junkie
    This is not true. The bearings get pressed into the link. The bearings do not have a dust shield on the inside, so as the greas

Quote Originally Posted by Dikkie View Post
    Same here.
    The only thing that gets lubed is the axle imo.
    The bearings are sealed, grease won't get in but it prevents dirt to get in too.
    That's what counts.
    This is not true. The bearings get pressed into the link do not have a dust shield on the inside, so as the grease gets pumped in, it gets pushed through the bearing.

Periodically I pull the old bearings and take out old grease so that when I do pump more grease in through the zerk fittings, it reaches the bearings correctly. Since the bearings and suspension hardware have a lifetime warranty, it is also a good time to check to make sure everything is in order. The great thing is that if anything is not right, you can give SC a call and they'll send you new parts pretty quick!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES