mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Taking a dip in a FS bike opinions? Giant Trance X 29er 0, Stumpjumper FSR Elite

I've ridden a old hardrock for the last 8 years and I finally decided to start shopping for a new FS bike.

Since it's near the end of the 2013 product life cycle I can get a really good price on a Trance X and a Stumpjumper FSR elite. The FSR elite was 100 more. Comparing the two it seems the elite has lesser components overall especially the brakes but it has the brain system which I really don't know anything about. Also it seems the brain is just another system that can go wrong.

It seems though that people don't keep their full suspension bikes as long on these forums so would resell value be a consideration? I was told at the shop that FS bikes are like computers and people upgrade every few years. Would a stumpjumper hold better value over a trance x in a few years?

I also got a good price on the standard stumjumper fsr comp 29er as well and I'm considering just going that route and possibly adding the dropper post to save several hundred dollars and not worry about the brain system as well. Also at my skill level I'm not sure if I would even be able to tell the difference on the trail.

Any thoughts? I know there are a lot of threads asking these type of questions but I'm seriously torn right now. Also even though I have the financial capability I've never purchased something this expensive before other than a car. Anyways thank you all for your time.

mtbr member

Re: Taking a dip in a FS bike opinions? Giant Trance X 29er 0, Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Damn. You make me feel bad. I've ridden a Rockhopper for the last year, and I already want a FS bike. 8 years? You deserve a new bike.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about not keeping FS bikes as long as hard tails. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. I'll pass an opinion on the brain though: I didn't like the brain equipped bike I rode. I could feel things changing, and it didn't seem natural to me. A simple, well designed, working, progressive feeling suspension is just there, it's predictable and it works. I haven't ridden a Trance, but I have ridden other Maestro equipped bikes, and I can tell you it's one of the best suspension designs I've ridden. So I'd put the Trance way above the FSR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another thing with the Specialized, not only does it have the Brain, but it has that yoke on the back of the shock.
    I looked at upgrading my shock on my SJ and couldn't because of that proprietary shock connection.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat26 View Post
    Would a stumpjumper hold better value over a trance x in a few years?
    Nope. The re-sale value of all bicycles drops like a stone, unless the bike has some extremely unique history (like it was ridden to a gold medal at the Olympics) than expect it to go down rapidly. This applies to any bike, road, mtb, bmx, whatever, it's a machine and it depreciates rapidly.

Re: the bikes you list, you can't go wrong with Giant. Specialized market very aggressively, but tend to be quite expensive for a given spec and use proprietary parts that can be a pain to repair/replace should the need arise. The Giant will be easier to live with over a number of years.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yeah, the Brain is over-rated and the high-maintenance will be a buzzkill to your wallet. As mentioned, the Maestro is sweet; Giant's take on dw-link, with incredible feel and efficiency. Follow the Maestro....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have not ridden many 29er's and havent ridden the spec 29er so take this for what its worth but I was pleasantly surprised after riding the trance 29er at a giant demo. I am coming from an overbuilt full coil 160mm 26" AM bike. The bike climbed like crazy. It was surprisingly nimble and I felt comfortable on it after the first few turns. I was impressed overall with the bike. I have not ridden the specialized but I would choose the giant any day over the specialized because I cannot stand how all specialized shocks are proprietary and I personally feel the fox air shocks are severely lacking. If you dont like the rp23 (or whatever the hell it is) on the trance, you can easily replace it with and RS, xfusion, bos, etc...

Demo if you can!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you for the input guys. Yeah I'm not exactly sure about the whole replacing the bike every few years bit. Ideally I want a bike to last me like my hardrock for at least 8 years. I think my significant other would be driven mad with me obsessing over bike research every few years and dropping that kind of dough all the time.

Also yeah I'm not sure if the price difference really makes much sense for the stumpjumper elite over the regular just for the brain and a few small upgrades after comparing the spec sheets. I do like the dropper post on the elite though but I rather add that after. Like I said with my skill set I don't think I can tell the difference between all the gear components. Also if it had the XT brakes on the elite over the regular I would have considered it more. I hate the avids on my old hardrock right now and I keep reading about the issues on the avids on these stumps.

I found a shop that has a giant trance 29er for a day rental so I'll take it on the trail. It is really hard to gauge a bike taking it around a flat parking lot. Can't find anyone around here that rents out specialized stumpjumpers. Only reason i'm thinking of the lower end stump is because the sticker shock is slightly negated by 900 dollar difference over the giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat26 View Post
    Thank you for the input guys. Yeah I'm not exactly sure about the whole replacing the bike every few years bit. Ideally I want a bike to last me like my hardrock for at least 8 years. I think my significant other would be driven with me obsessing over bike research every few years and dropping that kind of dough all the time.

Also yeah I'm not sure if the price difference really makes much sense for the stumpjumper elite over the regular just for the brain and a few small upgrades after comparing the spec sheets. I do like the dropper post on the elite though but I rather add that after. Like I said with my skill set I don't think I can tell the difference between all the gear components. Also if it had the XT brakes on the elite over the regular I would have considered it more. I hate the avids on my old hardrock right now and I keep reading about the issues on the avids on these stumps.

I found a shop that has a giant trance 29er for a day rental so I'll take it on the trail. It is really hard to gauge a bike taking it around a flat parking lot. Can't find anyone around here that rents out specialized stumpjumpers. Only reason i'm thinking of the lower end stump is because the sticker shock is slightly negated by 900 dollar difference over the giant.
    Keep in mind without the Brain the SJ will ride completely different. I had a SJ Comp, it was ok, but after riding a Tallboy, I sold it. The VPP climbed better to me in full open than the SJ did with pro-pedal on.

I haven't ridden a Giant yet, but based on everything I read, I think for me it would be a better climber than the SJ.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

MTB B'dos
    While these are two good bikes, have you by chance got access to TREK? Couple guys down here just got Rumblefishes and I was very impressed by how well they pedaled and how plush the suspension felt. Have set up a number of bikes recently, Giant AnthemX, TranceX, SC Tallboy and Rumblefish Pro & Elite, and will say that of all of them, I like the geo and feel of the Rumblefish the best. Now I ride a Banshee Prime that both pedals efficiently as hell and also is plush as all out, with slack geo that feels so sweet, easy to pop the wheel up, easy to switch direction, a real pleasure to ride and the RF was the closest in feel to the Prime, the others felt a bit more XC and was hard to pop the wheel compared to the RF.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics