Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

mtbr member
    Probably nothin new but here it goes: my bike is around 11.5kgs with RaRa on Gordos, Hope X2 brakes. That's 2.5kgs more than my previous bike (One9) but I can honesty say I didn't notice the weight difference. It took about 3sec to feel comfortable on this bike, I wasn't used to higher bar position but no problems here. Cr-Mo frame defintely felt more 'alive', rear end takes out small bumps but don't expect suspension-like function. I guess Eriksen seatpost has something to do with it, too. Truss fork tracks great and precise but not harsh. I try to understand the difference between Ti and Cr-Mo like different windsurfing masts act: more carbon % and the reflex is faster- at the same stiffness as lower carbon % mast. That's why I'd love to have a Ti truss in front and frame (not that I'm complaining now).
    Otherwise the ride was fast, quiet, Bushnell works perfect. I have to get used to J-bar. It was comfortable but I felt like I have to use other muscles in my torso while climbing. It'll stay on for a while, probably it's just me because this was my first SS ride in months. I'll also try 80mm stem (now 90mm) and Salsa 17deg flat bar just to experiment some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Tai"-Jones-img_8227-1.jpg  

"Tai"-Jones-img_8230-1.jpg  

Funkyzeit!

mtbr member
    Any more thoughts on these diamond frames or on the unicrown forks? I've got them on order. Parts are starting to arrive this week, frame should be next week. I went with the fat front. The wait is just about killing me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Me Too!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i think the Jones bike will always have a love-hate relationship with the public because of the price he set them....many would always say for his price you can get better from other builders, with watever shapes and geo you want...

If that's the case then go with it, buy others....but if you think that you like wat you see in his design and willing to forgo the fact it is on the high side of moolah, then I think his bikes ride great...

I have his Mones and i like it a lot....and the black beauty of the steel is very nice too...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak
    i think the Jones bike will always have a love-hate relationship with the public because of the price he set them....many would always say for his price you can get better from other builders, with watever shapes and geo you want...

If that's the case then go with it, buy others....but if you think that you like wat you see in his design and willing to forgo the fact it is on the high side of moolah, then I think his bikes ride great...

I have his Mones and i like it a lot....and the black beauty of the steel is very nice too...

True , true, true.... so tis ah next project for u??
    [SIZE=4]Time Doesn't Wait for No One, Have A Nice Day!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    has anyone tried to race the space frame in either Steel or Ti version, whats it like climbing with gears?

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maman72
    True , true, true.... so tis ah next project for u??
    I think Razak is going baaa...baaa

hehe

I wouldn't mind a steel diamond Jones myself, actually!

Whether it's built by Jeff Jones himself, Merlin, or by a factory in Taiwan - his frames are executions of his design and riding philosophy. He wants more people on more of his bikes, and going the Taiwan route helps him achieve that.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Pretty much a given, if you know a little history about the 45, the Colt 1911 in 45 ACP, is what started it all, semi automatic pistols.

No worries, I knew what you meant. Now if you'd said kind of like comparing a Luger to a 1911... well, it's pretty clear which design, 100 years later, is still in production.
    Holy crap, thats not even close to correct.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Holy crap, thats not even close to correct.
    I know. I wasn't willing to pursue it in a bicycle thread however. I had done enough damage as it was.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Go ahead...
    Myself, I would'nt mind being edumacated about firearms history...

Powered by ice cream.
    Our trails have dried out and I think I have enough time on this bike to give my honest opinion:

The only change I have made from previous set up is lower gearing by 10%.

I have ridden it on mild, moderately fast, swoopy, loose singletrack.

I have ridden it on the most technical, slow speed trialsy rock crawling stuff we have in these parts.

The handling is spot on in tight, slow switchbacks, and spun out cornering on gravel.

This is the best rigid bike I have ever ridden. Period. Ultimately, for me, the important thing about a bike is that is sort of disappears under me. It should do what I want, the way I want, without a lot of monkeying around on my part. It should bring a smile to my face. It should not have characteristics that annoy me. At the end of the ride, I should want to call all my friends and proclaim: "I love riding this machine!"

I have had several bikes that treat me that way: Lenz Behemoth and Milk Money for example, but never a rigid that had the certain something I was looking for...until now.

I highly recommend this bike if it fits you.

Build notes:

Jones diamond frame and truss fork
    Front Speedway 135 hub, rear SS King laced to Flows by Mikesee
    Bontrager FR-3 tires
    Mr. Whirly cranks 31X21 gearing (Surly SS cog)
    Gravity Dropper 4" Turbo
    Koobi saddle
    Azonic World Force Bars
    Thomson 50mm stem (to be replaced by Syntace Superforce 60mm some time)
    Avid BB7 mechanical brakes 180f/160r

I will update in the future, but at this point I don't ever see selling this thing or really changing much of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Agreed with the above, I love my Jones 24" diamond ti.
    I wish someone could build a 29er full suspension bike that felt and fit as good as my Jones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I will update in the future, but at this point I don't ever see selling this thing or really changing much of anything.
    Pretty glowing review. I hope I like mine as much. I have the fat front with unicrown fork though until June or something when I hope to get the Ti truss. I still don't have mine together yet though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    But then we would have the hassle of maintaining all the moving parts while we Jonesriders don't!
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Pretty glowing review. I hope I like mine as much. I have the fat front with unicrown fork though until June or something when I hope to get the Ti truss. I still don't have mine together yet though!
    I've got a diamond frame with the unicrown and fat front coming too. Just waiting for Jeff to build the front wheel and send everything out. I have all the other parts sitting in a box, and I can hardly stand the wait!! It doesn't help that whenever I call, Jeff gets me even more excited about it!

What wheel/tire are you going with in the rear?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis
    I've got a diamond frame with the unicrown and fat front coming too.
    What made you go with the unicrown instead of the truss fork...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    What made you go with the unicrown instead of the truss fork...?
    Budget.

I got a bonus this year, and was given the green light to purchase a bike. I did not want to affect our monthly budget with this purchase, so I had a budget of about $2100. I was initially going to build a Kona Big Unit with a Niner carbon fork. But once I realized that the steel Jones/unicrown could be within my budget, I started to reconsider.

There were several factors to consider:
    The Jones is $750 frame/fork, but requires a new wheel using a special hub and rim
    The Kona/Niner would be about $1000 frame/fork, but I could use my existing XT/Gordo wheelset
    Fat front vs. standard 29er
    Steel vs. Aluminum
    EBB vs. Sliders
    Suspension-corrected vs. Non-corrected
    Heavy vs. Light

I've been interested in the fat front idea for a while, and am committed to riding a rigid/ss. The phone call with Jeff sealed the deal.

I'll be able to use my XT/Gordo rear with the fattest 29er tires available, and should be able to sell my XT/Gordo front without too much trouble, I would think.

Excited doesn't even begin to describe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The fat front is great - you'll love it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    I think Razak is going baaa...baaa

hehe

I wouldn't mind a steel diamond Jones myself, actually!

Whether it's built by Jeff Jones himself, Merlin, or by a factory in Taiwan - his frames are executions of his design and riding philosophy. He wants more people on more of his bikes, and going the Taiwan route helps him achieve that.
    agu, dat guy, dat maman72 is the one going baa baa...his sheep will line up besides my Mones next month...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    has anyone tried to race the space frame in either Steel or Ti version, whats it like climbing with gears?
    +1.

Also, I'm looking at the Diamond but admittedly would love the ti Truss. Is this a XC racer in anyway, worried about the weight and climbing ability, especially seated climbs? I'll never run a fatty on the front, never doing big drops or rocky technical, and it'll be a SS. I'm on the east coast in Chattanooga area, with flowing singletrack, some technical and rocks, but mostly just deciduous/pine laden mountain tops. Not out west on the submarine or chicken rock trails, so any thoughts about riding here? Also, did I read that correctly that the standard fork requires a special hub setup?
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB
    Also, did I read that correctly that the standard fork requires a special hub setup?
    Yes, it requires a 135mm wide front hub. Jones makes one, Paul makes one, and I think Phil Wood makes one. Check it out here

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis
    I've got a diamond frame with the unicrown and fat front coming too. Just waiting for Jeff to build the front wheel and send everything out. I have all the other parts sitting in a box, and I can hardly stand the wait!! It doesn't help that whenever I call, Jeff gets me even more excited about it!

What wheel/tire are you going with in the rear?
    For now I'll use an old one I haven't used in a long while. I think it's a Flow rim and Hope hub. I'm going to run it 1x9 with a 36th cassette and probably a 28th ring.

Congrats on your purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    +1.

Also, I'm looking at the Diamond but admittedly would love the ti Truss. Is this a XC racer in anyway, worried about the weight and climbing ability, especially seated climbs? I'll never run a fatty on the front, never doing big drops or rocky technical, and it'll be a SS. I'm on the east coast in Chattanooga area, with flowing singletrack, some technical and rocks, but mostly just deciduous/pine laden mountain tops. Not out west on the submarine or chicken rock trails, so any thoughts about riding here? Also, did I read that correctly that the standard fork requires a special hub setup?
    I haven't tried to race mine-but it does climb very well, which is what I'd expect since it's a rigid bike :P Put this way, it's no worse than any of the other bikes that I consider to be somewhat comparable (cotic soul, various stumpjumpers) My spaceframe is set up geared, with the fat front wheel, it weighs around 30 pounds-to use a cliche, it feels a lot lighter than it is to ride. I could take a lot of weight off the bike by using a normal front wheel and lighter tyres, probably about 4-5 pounds...

mtbr member
    its fine to race. by and large racing means lots of effort, and that often means you stand to climb. i s'pose in the states you'll have longer hills so may need to sit for some, but the rearward weight bias is good in that it alternates muscle group use between sitting and standing pedaling.

the only issue i have had racing the jones for long (10-12 hour) races is if the courses are ultra hard and bumpy, in which case the rigidity of the truss fork can lead to a bit of beating you up, otherwise its a great bike to race on.

go to it!