Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

oracle
    Sep 2009
    I have been lurking this thread for over a year now and have been a believer... Now it's about time to be an owner. Anyone here selling or knows someone selling a used Ti fat front Spaceframe or complete bike?
    Laughing at yourself prolongs your life... laughing at me shortens it.

mtbr member
    As Ive said before. I tried fat front,29x50mm rims with Knard in front neither had any durabiltity and the traction was just ok. Chunkey monkeys and Ardent 2.4's on flows where good traction and tublessability wise. Now Ive been on Minion 2.5 tubless exo's
    on Flows and holy crap! Traction is amazing tubless set up is the best Ive used and durability is awesome. Im running 18 lb in front 20 in back The cushion with all rubber is almost as good as the Knard. Pretty much changed what I expect out of a tire. And they actually roll pretty darn good. All things said here is entirely my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    As Ive said before. I tried fat front,29x50mm rims with Knard in front neither had any durabiltity and the traction was just ok. Chunkey monkeys and Ardent 2.4's on flows where good traction and tublessability wise. Now Ive been on Minion 2.5 tubless exo's
    on Flows and holy crap! Traction is amazing tubless set up is the best Ive used and durability is awesome. Im running 18 lb in front 20 in back The cushion with all rubber is almost as good as the Knard. Pretty much changed what I expect out of a tire. And they actually roll pretty darn good. All things said here is entirely my opinion.
    I replaced the Knard with Geax Goma 2.4 and don't really miss the Knard. Running ~20psi, I can rattle my way through almost everything at a good clip.

That said, when the Maxxis Chronicle comes out, I'm buying one.

mtbr member

New color?

Just got the new issue of Dirt Rag and saw an ad for Jones Bikes. It shows a space frame in a really nice yellow. Don't see anything on his site yet though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Check Jeff's facebook page. Several photos of it on there. Pretty cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Just got the new issue of Dirt Rag and saw an ad for Jones Bikes. It shows a space frame in a really nice yellow. Don't see anything on his site yet though.
    He's calling it orange on his FB page.

Also, that Dirtrag ad says: 'Carbon fiber Loop H-bars coming soon. Plus more...'

Interesting!

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenz43 View Post

Good Lordy that is ****ing sexy.

edit: how did this post get ahead of yours? It is so hot it bends the space/time continuum!

weekend warrior
    I've been lurking and reading this thread for a while, always attracted to the Jones concept. When a few months ago a used complete Jones bike with steel spaceframe and truss forks came up for sale in the UK I pulled the trigger. It was bad timing really with a few other projects ongoing, but how often does a Jones spaceframe come up for sale?

So for the build, the wheels and tires are what the first owner specced. I am going to ride it like this and then decide what to do. For the rest of the build I sourced trusty well known bits from other builds/bikes that I think suit the Jones. This thread was very helpful in steering me to a good first set-up. On my other 29er bikes I have more saddle to handlbar drop and a longer reach, but have followed the general jist of the comments here.

So I also thought it fitting to present the bike here first. And here goes:

Oh and I am 6'2" with long inseam.

Enjoy!!
    Common sense was never common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Beautiful set up. Good work.

mtbr member
    Finally got my new (to me) Ti spaceframe and truss fork yesterday. It's the one that was listed on Pinkbike a few weeks back. I've been lusting after one of these for like 10 years, can't believe I finally own one! I fondled it for a while last night, but of course forgot to take pictures! This think is a work of art, so many little details and bends etc. I was a little disappointed that it doesn't have more rear tire clearance, but oh well. Of course, I will be away for the next week and can't build it up yet, bummer!

I actually picked up a 100mm spaced truss fork as well, so I can run my current wheels until I figure out what the final setup will be.

mtbr member
    Bikeny. Congratulations.

One thing you have to try is a fat front. I was so skeptical for a few years but it's on for good.

Jeffs new carbon bars got me thinking. What would a carbon jones do? I'm sure jeff has thought about this. Sure it would be very different - a fat bike or 29+ specific thing?

I'm totally in love with my ti flavour jones, I'd just like to add. No improvements needed.
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    "What would a carbon jones do?"

..look very different to the SF I expect. And with that black SF up there looking so damn good, who'd want carbon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can' see Jeff making a carbon bike, he was very anti carbon (frames) the last time I spoke to him, so I'm quite surprised to see the carbon bars! I'll pick up a pair if they're not prohibitively expensive!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Has anyone tried 650B wheels on their Jones or would that negatively effect the geometry in some way? I ask b/c I am thinking of a second set of wheels for paved and gravel road use. My favorite tires for that purpose are 650Bx42 Grand Bois Hetres. If 650B would work it would make my Jones even more versatile.

I've now had it for about month. It's been superb so far. I've ridden it a lot on my local trails here in Charlottesville and taken it over to George Washington National Forest for bigger rides--anywhere from 4-7 hours of rough east coast singletrack. A few days ago I took out my Salsa Spearfish for the first time since getting the Jones. It's got 100mm of travel in the front and 80mm in the rear. It's a great, fun bike and felt like a rocketship at the beginning of the ride. Part of this is due to overall weight and tires. However, several hours later the feeling of speed and liveliness was gone and I was wishing for my Jones. The suspension was nice, but I've come to really like the rigid Jones.

I've lightened things up a little. I set up the rear Rabbit Hole/Chunky Monkey tubeless. I took out the very heavy tube that was in the there and used a superlight 26" tube and did the split tube tubeless method--aired right up and has been performing flawlessly for two weeks. The fat front had a Vee Rubber tube that was the heaviest piece of rubber I've ever held! I don't have a scale but the thing weighed a pound for sure. I replaced it with an ultralight 26x2.7 Q tube that only weighs about 180 grams. This made a huge difference!

I have a 120tpi Husker Du for the front and a 2.35 Maxxis Ikon for the rear on order to replace the On One Floater and Chunky Monkey. Reducing weight and rolling resistance, I think, will make a big difference.

Happy Jonesing everyone

"Tai"-Jones-jones-rtf.jpg"Tai"-Jones-torrey-ridge.jpg"Tai"-Jones-photoc.jpg"Tai"-Jones-photox.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know that anyone's gone 650B on their Jones yet, so you might as well be the Guinea pig. I don't think the geo will change in a bad way as long as you put the BB in the upper position to account for the lower BB the 650B wheels will cause. I think it could possibly work fine for you as long as the BB doesn't get too low. But since you run gears you can put the BB in the 12 o'clock position, I think it should work. Taller wheels like 650B+ would probably be better (and taller) than the Grand Bois Hetres, but I say go for it and report back.

mtbr member
    I would think the larger diameter of a 700c wheel would work better for gravel & road riding. As mentioned above, the major change with the smaller wheels will be a lower BB, but on the road that's not too big of an issue, unless you clip a pedal going around a corner, that's not pleasant!

I want to go in the opposite direction, fitting some 27.5+ tires on my Jones when they're finally available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I want to go in the opposite direction, fitting some 27.5+ tires on my Jones when they're finally available.
    That's not opposite, just the same idea but fatter. ;-)

I'm actually really interested in 650B+ as well...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts on 650B. I'll ask Jeff to. I've been riding 650B Hetres on paved and gravel roads for several years now and they're just about perfect--ultra low rolling resistance and the big volume of the 42 allows for lower pressures than, say, a 38mm 700c tire. Compass Cycles and Grand Bois are the finest when it comes to wider 650B and 700c tires.

The 650B+ tires look cool too. Having a set of 650B wheels would allow me to run both the Hetres and 650B+.

My current thinking is to keep the Marge Lite/Rabbit Hole combo I currently run for mountain biking and then have a second set of either 700c or 650B wheels for road and light trail use. We have tons and tons of gravel roads I've been exploring for years; with the right wheels and tires the Jones will be perfect for that purpose.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    csmo - I'm fond of my Hetre's as well. Even on some mild singletrack. As someone said, lower BB may be an issue, but probably not a big deal for the road. But I still have to question using 650b on the Jones. 700c can be had cheaper and will re-sell easier. You can outfit with 700x38 Compass Barlow Pass for road/light trail, which ride really nice as well. But it will be interesting to see a Jones set up with 650b.

And just my personal opinion - Having tried the two wheelset/one bike, I hated it. Enough to buy another frame and have a dedicated bike for the specific uses.

mtbr member
    phsycle: The Barlow Pass are on my mind too. I've just become so accustomed to the Hetres! Regarding the one bike/two wheelsets: it might just end up being a bad idea. But it might not. Who knows?! Having a lighter set of wheels than what's on it now (Marge Lite/Rabbit Hole) is really appealing for when I just don't need or want the bulk. Whether or not it really becomes the magical one bike remains to be seen. Lots to think about.

What were you swapping between? What kinds of riding were you doing? Was this on a Jones?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I haven't tried them on the Jones but I really like Resist Nomad 700x45s for allroad / light trail use. They measure about 43mm on a 24mm rim and while they are not a 700c Hetre by any stretch, they are lighter and more compliant than most 700x45 tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by csmo View Post
    phsycle: The Barlow Pass are on my mind too. I've just become so accustomed to the Hetres! Regarding the one bike/two wheelsets: it might just end up being a bad idea. But it might not. Who knows?! Having a lighter set of wheels than what's on it now (Marge Lite/Rabbit Hole) is really appealing for when I just don't need or want the bulk. Whether or not it really becomes the magical one bike remains to be seen. Lots to think about.

What were you swapping between? What kinds of riding were you doing? Was this on a Jones?
    On another bike. Swapped between MTB wheelset and roadie wheelset. Seemed like the wrong wheelset was on every time I wanted to go for a ride. Swapping isn't a BIG deal (brake, derailer adjustments) but it does get tedious and swap time is accentuated when you're wanting to get out the door for a ride. It works for some, but I couldn't take it after a while.

Not certain how the Hetres will do on the Jones' stout frame, as it's kind of like a middle linebacker adorning well broken in ballet shoes, but I'm sure they'll ride fine.

mtbr member

"Tai"-Jones

The Barlow pass are sublime--they measure 36mm in my A23s--but I'd love a true 700c hetre for the extra volume on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pics my friend, I presume you are a photographer?(I am)

I love my ti spacebike still after more than 5 years!
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast