Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Forgive my noobishness: I have a chance to buy a Jones with a 29er 50mm Rabbit Hole in the rear and a 26" Marge Lite in the front. Would the 3.5 Vee Rubber Speedster (or Black Floyd) in the front work well with a 29er tire in the rear? I ask because I'd like to set the Jones up for pavement/gravel/trail/all arounder without having to ditch the Marge Lite. So, I am looking for a good tire combo that will allow me to do so. Right now the bike has a Chunky Monkey in the rear and a 4.0 Floater on the front; I'm interested in something that will roll faster.

Thanks (and if my question is not clear I can rephrase).

mtbr member
    what about running a 3.8 knard upfront? and a 2,25 ardent on the back?

just an idea for a 'fast rolling/less mud than i have' set up.

as far a chance at buying a jones - yup!!
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    Sorry. Re-red your post. No idea about on the rabbit hole. No room for the 29+ knard. Maybe the 2.4 something big?
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    I think your first suggestion was right on--3.8 Knard up front could be just right. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It depends upon what you mean by "all around". Now if you are including trail/dirt riding in your definition, then the Knard will be capable of road, gravel, and dirt. But for just road and gravel, I'd go one of the lighter tires you were thinking about at first. The wide tires provide a lot of grip, even on those tires with little or no tread, so I'd consider tires that are much lighter and have less rolling resistance.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Thanks--yeah, for now, I am thinking more gravel and some road. I will for sure ride it as a trail bike as well--in fact, the bike will come with an On One Floater. For now, I'm exploring options, learning what's out there, etc. Thinking about a 29 Rabbit Hole or similar for the front at some point too. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    So I have finally made the decision to drink up the Jones Koolaid. And since I don't do anything half-a$$, I'm going all in and getting a Ti Spaceframe and truss fork. So before I order a new one, anyone selling, or know of someone selling one? I know it's a long shot, but you never know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great choice! Had mine for 5 years now, and, no I'm not selling it

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    So I have finally made the decision to drink up the Jones Koolaid. And since I don't do anything half-a$$, I'm going all in and getting a Ti Spaceframe and truss fork. So before I order a new one, anyone selling, or know of someone selling one? I know it's a long shot, but you never know!
    Not mine and don't know him...
    Results for "jones" - Pinkbike BuySell Search
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

My new to me diamond Jones with ti truss

"Tai"-Jones-photo-1.jpg"Tai"-Jones-photo.jpg"Tai"-Jones-jones1.jpgHi All,

I am finally the happy owner of a new to me Jones diamond frame and ti truss fork. Couldn't be happier. I sold my Rivendell Hunqapillar and less than a day later discovered a used Jones--the bike I had wanted to sell my Hunqapillar to fund. I bought it right away and took my first ride today.

What immediately impressed me was the bike's ability to manage very tight turns--turns I'd never been able to make before now come easily; the climbing prowess--I climbed my way out of a wet creek bottom on a slick trail I've never been able to get up; and the feeling of confidence while descending--the combination of no fork dive, the precision of the steering, the fat front, and the stiff fork make loose, rocky descents more of a pleasure. All of these initial impressions are in comparison to a Salsa Spearfish, which has been my only mountain bike the last year and which I really like.

The gearing will likely need to be changed: it's a 26/38 mated with a cassette that maxes out at 32--I need more gears though I muscled my way up everything. The fat front is fun; I was able to ride through a boggy area that's been overlain with logs that I've not been able to ride previously. But it does feel heavy. I'd love to try a 29er Knard.

The build is pretty standard, I suppose.

--Paul WHUB laced to a Marge Lite with an On One Floater up front; a Rabbit Hole laced to a Hope hub with an On One Chunky Monkey in the rear.

Thomson 70mm stem, Jones H Bars, ESI extra chunky grips

On photo has a WTB Speed V the other two I am using a Brooks--not enough setback but so comfortable.

XT drivetrain and BB7 brakes

Here are a few pics. Why do hilly trails always look so tame in photos!? This thread has been really helpful in learning about the Jones.

Gotta pay to play
    Great looking ride Csmo.
    You kind of touched on something that I've been thinking about the last couple of weeks. I've had my own Jones for about a year and a half now.

For various work/family time limitations I've been doing mostly road riding since I can cram a pretty decent work out in an hour long break on the road than I could driving to a trail head and back.

Yet when ever I am on my Jones everything just feels "right". The ride position, the attack position, sitting and spinning, standing and mashing. The bike feels like it was made for me- I'm sure most of you feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Congrats on the new bike; it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by csmo View Post
    The fat front is fun; I was able to ride through a boggy area that's been overlain with logs that I've not been able to ride previously. But it does feel heavy. I'd love to try a 29er Knard.
    Having the Marge Lite rim is a plus but the Floater is a heavier tire than some of the Surly 3.8" options so you could lose some weight by going to a 120TPI 3.8" Knard.

I've been tempted to try a setup like that but the 29x3 Knard / Rabbit Hole front that I built the bike with is still working well for my riding (1 year later).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Also Look at the Vee H-billie it's a 4.25" tire and mine weighed in at 1220g and can be run tubeless for more weight savings.

mtbr member
    It's been a really fun ride so far! Hopefully you can get out on the trail more often soon.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Great looking ride Csmo.
    You kind of touched on something that I've been thinking about the last couple of weeks. I've had my own Jones for about a year and a half now.

For various work/family time limitations I've been doing mostly road riding since I can cram a pretty decent work out in an hour long break on the road than I could driving to a trail head and back.

Yet when ever I am on my Jones everything just feels "right". The ride position, the attack position, sitting and spinning, standing and mashing. The bike feels like it was made for me- I'm sure most of you feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tire suggestions. I'd not heard of the Vee H-Billie; the Knard looks like a great option. I'll do some experimenting--which could get awfully expensive! I do see 29+ in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey, since I didn't get much initial interest in my 29+ MikeC built front wheel I'm selling, I'd be willing to consider reasonable offers. RH/120tpi Knard built to Whub by Mikesee, and barely used. Maybe 150 miles. See ad, and PM me for more info/pics.

Gararge sale: Jones, HBC, White Industries, Salsa, Ergon - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, Csmo, can you post some details on the comparison between the Jones and Hunq? That bike has intrigued me for years. I just couldn't ever pull the trigger due to the cost. They look pretty cool though.

mtbr member
    Sure thing. The Hunqapillar was/is a great bike. The decision to sell it was tough, but there was too much overlap b/w it and another bike and the Hunq had, for me, some limitations. I also have a 2013 Salsa Spearfish which I use for mountain biking and so the Hunq really began to gather dust.

It excelled at gravel/dirt, some trails, and long days in the saddle. It was limited by, for me, rim brakes, having clearance for only 2.1-2.2 tires, a 1" threaded steerer (this was a limitation because I wanted to be able to use bars like the Jones without having to get a quill adapter), and its inability, for me again, to handle rougher singletrack--tough to get the front end up, for instance. I began to see that my 650B bike, which has 650B x 42mm tires could really do most of what the Hunq could do--all, in fact, but loaded touring. So, I began to hunt for a bike that could do all the Hunq could do and more. The Jones seemed perfect. Now, after two rides on local singletrack with the Jones I'm happy.

The Hunq is a great bike; I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it got me back into mountain biking after a long hiatus--my last mountain bike adventure before hitting the trails with my Hunq in the spring of 2013 was doing the Montana section of the Great Divide in 1998!

So, long winded answer. Tastes change; bike interests evolve. That's what happened to me.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Hey, Csmo, can you post some details on the comparison between the Jones and Hunq? That bike has intrigued me for years. I just couldn't ever pull the trigger due to the cost. They look pretty cool though.

mtbr member
    I finally took the plunge! A Ti Spaceframe/Truss fork is on the way, can't wait! Starting to think about my cockpit, and would like some advice. I'm building it up SS, mostly with parts that I already have. Seatpost will be a older setback Moots Ti and bars will be either a set of Groovy Ti Luv Handles, or maybe an Origin8 carbon Space bar, but I'm trying to decide on stem length. I read through this whole thread again looking for stem lengths, and most people seem to be using pretty short ones, like 70mm to 80mm. I have a couple of stems around, but nothing shorter than 100mm. I am 5'10" with about a 33" inseam(book-in-crotch-measurement). Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    If I remember right, Jeff is about 6'0 tall and uses a 90mm stem, though I could easily be wrong about that.
    Yeah pretty sure that is correct on his stem length.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I finally took the plunge! A Ti Spaceframe/Truss fork is on the way, can't wait! Starting to think about my cockpit, and would like some advice. I'm building it up SS, mostly with parts that I already have. Seatpost will be a older setback Moots Ti and bars will be either a set of Groovy Ti Luv Handles, or maybe an Origin8 carbon Space bar, but I'm trying to decide on stem length. I read through this whole thread again looking for stem lengths, and most people seem to be using pretty short ones, like 70mm to 80mm. I have a couple of stems around, but nothing shorter than 100mm. I am 5'10" with about a 33" inseam(book-in-crotch-measurement). Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark
    If I were in your shoes, I'd get a 70mm stem with 6-10 degree rise so that you don't have to stack as many spacers, but that would likely leave you with a pretty upright riding position, which I prefer to keep weight off my hands.

If I remember right, Jeff is about 6'0 tall and uses a 90mm stem, though I could easily be wrong about that.

Obviously riding position is personal so take it all with a salt grain. Maybe you have really long arms for somebody 5'10.

Gotta pay to play
    Jeff might have a valid opinion. I think you should ask him.

I know you already have the bars- but the J Loop bar is so awesome. You are already going big- just get the Ti one!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm 5'8" with a 30 1/2" inseam and Jeff suggested the 70mm or 80mm when I bought my Ti diamond frame. Don't think you mentioned it but what wheels are you going with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman#1 View Post
    I'm 5'8" with a 30 1/2" inseam and Jeff suggested the 70mm or 80mm when I bought my Ti diamond frame. Don't think you mentioned it but what wheels are you going with?
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like something around 80mm would be a good place to start. I will probably give Jeff a call and pick his brain, but I just hate wasting his time! I know he loves to talk about this stuff, but I feel like his time would be better spent designing his next masterpiece. In any case, I will wait until I have the frame in hand, should be early next week.

As for wheels, I am going to start out with the set I already have, Hope hubs & Flow 29er rims. When the 27.5+ tires come out I will see if they fit and decide from there. It will end up with a set of wide carbon wheels at some point, but not sure if they will be 29 or 27.5.

Edit: What are currently the biggest volume 29er tires out there*? Still the 2.4 Ardent?

*That don't weigh a ton!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running a 2.4 Ardent in the rear but if I was buying new tires I'd look at the Ikon 2.35 for the back. This post gives the impression that the Ikon might have a larger casing than the Ardent.

For the front (assuming a Knard is out) I like the looks of the tread and cost of the the On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 (same casing as the Ardent).

Geax has a couple of interesting tires too (Gato, Goma).

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast