Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

Flaccid Member
    Enel, you're a curious fellow, but I like your testing methods.

Basically zero chatter from the front end in terms of flex when you grab a big handful of front brake going down something fast and steep, is my take on the truss fork? Is any oscillation even noticeable under those conditions?

Next question is, when are you going to tackle going down, I think it's trail #297 on the Jones? Before the rains? Looking forward to your report on how it feels on that.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Basically zero chatter from the front end in terms of flex when you grab a big handful of front brake going down something fast and steep, is my take on the truss fork? Is any oscillation even noticeable under those conditions?
    No chatter, no oscillation that is noticeable by me. I am sure it is there, but the frequency is high enough not to matter.

It is sort of like going from a single crown to triple clamp suspension fork if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Next question is, when are you going to tackle going down, I think it's trail #297 on the Jones?
    I went plenty fast down Munds Wagon chasing Aqua (who is hella fast!) and I have no concerns for its manners at speed. You do get a beating as the speeds increase though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How tall are you Enel?
    For some reason I was thinking your ByStickel was non corrected....

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    How tall are you Enel?
    For some reason I was thinking your ByStickel was non corrected....
    184cm.

Bystickel is corrected, I just haven't bothered to put a suspension fork on it. That will change soon.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    where is the geo posted?

I would like to know as well.

Powered by ice cream.
    I got this question in another thread and thought it would be helpful to insert and elaborate on the answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    E,
    Are the Stickel and Jones still different enough to not be compared? Kind of like a 9mm and a .40 cal, the same but, different, not better just, different?
    Thangew,
    Isaac
    Ha. More like a 9mm and a 1911

Like a steak knife and a chef's knife.

Or if you are a car guy: a Lotus Exige and a Porsch Cayman.

I purposely took both bikes to Sedona to compare them and rode the Jones in the morning, and the By:Stickel in the afternoon. I only had about two hours on the Jones prior to this ride and maybe 60 hours on the By:Stickel. Imagine my surprise when I rode more comfortably and confidently in technical terrain, and at high speed on the Jones. It wasn't even close.

This sort of move was no problem on the Jones, it would have scared me on the By:Stickel.

This move did scare me. Rideable, but scary/nervous. I was wishing I had the other bike at this moment.

Photo cred: Aquaholic

The difference between the bikes really bugged me, and I have been thinking a lot about the whys since that ride. The main issue was the incredible stability of the front end of the Jones. The By:Stickel in comparison felt like it bounced/flexed all over, couldn't get traction, and in general was not confidence inspiring at all in comparison. Steve thinks it is the fork and I am sure that is the biggest part of it.

Since that ride, I swapped the rather flexy On-One Carbon for an 1100 gm no name steel fork. I had a very short comparison ride today and things are better. Ultimately, I do not think it is possible for the By:Stickel to have the same front rigidity as the Jones without being non-suspension corrected, with a 135 spaced front wheel, and a truss fork. The only thing that would do it would be a 1400 gm dirt-jumpable 29" suspension corrected fork (which does not exist to my knowledge). I am thinking of trying a Niner Carbon fork, but the investment is steep, especially since I don't know if it will help hugely.

Ultimately, the By:Stickel will likely end up with a 100mm tapered suspension fork. It is probably done as my rigid technical bike.

Riding them back to back, the Jones feels much heavier (same weight for both), but somewhat unflappable, like riding a tank. Stiff and controllable, but on the harsh side. The By:Stickel feels significantly lighter and more playful, but less competent/confident when things get serious. I need to get some more back to back rides on them, because I am sure there is such a thing as too rigid up front and the Jones is approaching that point for me. Perhaps with the steel fork the By:Stickel will be that magic combination of comfort and control. If I had a super long ride on more mellow trails, I would take the By:Stickel for sure. It fits me perfectly.

Anyway, the strong/stiff front end of the Jones makes moves like this go from a bit terrifying to actually fun.

That rock proceeds to straight vertical, and then after a bit of a free fall into a 1/4 pipe G-out. It is not hard, you just need to commit, hang on, and hope nothing breaks off the front end. I have done it on many bikes, but it always gave me a bit of pause when I hit it rigid. Honestly it scared me. I hit it three times today and found it more exhilarating than scary. When it counts, I prefer the stiffness up front.

Mrs. Federline
    Hey Enel, that some impressive riding and your Jones is certainly nice, too.
    But why did you decide against the H-Bar? I have a Loop-Bar on my Spaceframe and I feel it is an integral part of the whole Jones-Package.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just a note: a 9mm is a caliber, 1911 a model. But I'm guessing you probably knew that.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Just a note: a 9mm is a caliber, 1911 a model. But I'm guessing you probably knew that.
    Stupid me, I used 1911 synonymously with .45, but if I think about it, that of course isn't true.

Thanks for the correction.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Britney Spears
    Hey Enel, that some impressive riding and your Jones is certainly nice, too.
    But why did you decide against the H-Bar? I have a Loop-Bar on my Spaceframe and I feel it is an integral part of the whole Jones-Package.
    Tried it, didn't like it, wrote it up and converted to traditional bars four years ago and have never looked back.

Mrs. Federline
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Tried it, didn't like it, wrote it up and converted to traditional bars four years ago and have never looked back.
    Thanks for your answer! Your post in that thread is certainly interesting to read.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel

Since that ride, I swapped the rather flexy On-One Carbon for an 1100 gm no name steel fork. I had a very short comparison ride today and things are better.

... I need to get some more back to back rides on them...... Perhaps with the steel fork the By:Stickel will be that magic combination of comfort and control.
    I got a very nice, long back to back rock crawling session yesterday on both bikes.

Steve was right, the On-One fork was causing a lot of my annoyance, pretty much all of it actually

The Stickel is much better with the steel 1100gm Zion fork.

If I were to grade forks it would go like this:

On-One: Not stiff enough.
    Zion: Adequately stiff.
    Jones: More than stiff enough.

After yesterday's ride, I am hard pressed to say which bike I prefer more in this type of terrain. There was no clear winner as far as the frame fork combo was concerned and I found my self more distracted by the ancient, crappy pedals I have on the Jones, and the front tire of the Stickel.

The Jones and Stickel rode comparably, with neither bike having a great advantage over the other. They had their little quirks, but nothing really annoying, or outstandingly better than the other. The Stickel was more compliant, the Jones was stiffer....preferences, but both within tolerable limits. I would say the same about the geometry, both are within the limits of what I would call a great handling bike. Slight differences, easily compensated for.

The FR4 tire on the front of the Stickel really sucks on rocks. I do not like it and can't really recommend it. The FR3 blows it away in the grip department. I am moving the FR3 from the back of the Jones to the front of the Stickel.

I think I can explain my Sedona annoyances at this point due to flexy fork and crappy front tire that I only noticed in comparison to an excellent tire and super stiff chassis.

I look forward to getting them back to back on something higher speed, but everything is pretty muddy right now and will be for a while.

WNC Native
    Cool, I figured that fork was the main hindrance. It's a great rigid fork for XC duties, just not up to par for your needs though!

I think a custom steel fork with thru axle would be the best thing for you. The Zion fork is still in the compliant list IMO. I think the only production forks up for your needs are the Monocog fork(not flight), KM fork, and possibly the steel On One fork.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew