Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 1,001 to 1,022 of 1022

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All the years I've been looking at Jones pics, I can't remember ever seeing dirt drop bars on a Jones. Wonder why that is? Because the Loop bars are in a similar ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    All the years I've been looking at Jones pics, I can't remember ever seeing dirt drop bars on a Jones. Wonder why that is? Because the Loop bars are in a similar ballpark?
    I suppose the taller riders can pull that off, but the ETT is too long for me for dirt drops.

mtbr member
    I've thought about this too since, at 23"', the TT is pretty short for my 6'2" tall frame, but just about spot on for my road bike TT length.

Love,peace and baby geese
    Sep 2008
    Do you hit the front tire with your toes?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
    Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    None for me with 10.5 shoes. Plenty of fork rake.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by treesmasher View Post
    Do you hit the front tire with your toes?
    Occasionally, with the 29+ front, when my size 12 feet aren't sitting properly on my flat pedals. As long as I'm situated properly, no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've fitted some out of curiosity. Felt OK initially on road but added nothing to the bike really, didn't get as far as riding it off-road on anything tricky as 1st impressions were enough to know that it would be lame, bike felt like it had one arm tied behind its back. Loops do a way better job for every aspect of riding apart from road riding into a headwind and there's better bikes for use with drop bars if they're important to you (imo).

Powered by ice cream.
    My Tai Jones is still killing it.

This is why I prefer a very rigid front end that does not tuck under me. The Jones diamond frame with truss fork provides extremely high for-aft rigidity due to traditional diamond shape, long rigid specific head tube and truss fork. It doesn't coddle you, but it doesn't flex much either when you need it to stay solid and predictable.

Couple freeze frames below.

I need to ride it more and I need to ride more in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Raced the SF today! No podiums but ton of fun!

"Tai"-Jones-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453646598.679283.jpg
    "Tai"-Jones-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453646630.952219.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi all Jones Lovers and Owners
    We now have a Jones Thread for all Jones

Jones (Jeff Jones)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is anyone interested in selling their Tai Jones?

I've posted in the Classifieds, but figured I might get lucky here. I also have a few 29+ frames, if you're interested in a trade.

Thanks
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    "Tai"-Jones-gr001-1994_jones-1024.jpg

Into the fourth year with my Jones - I replaced the 120tpi Knard with a 60tpi Dirt Wizard, replaced the rear Ardent 2.4 with a Goma 2.4, and built a new rear wheel using a WTB Asym i29. The Goma does have better climbing grip than the Ardent (even before moving to the wider rim) and the wider rear rim makes the whole bike feel more stable in slow technical terrain. The big change was the Dirt Wizard in the front. It's heavy but gives much more confidence in loose corners and tackles rocky downhills without bouncing as the Knard tended to do.

"Tai"-Jones-motoe2-20160523_rm-jones-1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Well at last (almost) finished my new Jones Diamond bike.
    1st ride this afternoon

Huka Falls, Taupo, New Zealand

Son28 and Paul brakes

Pete

Kiwi Pete from the Singletrack

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Kiwi Pete,

Looking forward to details on your build and how the ride compares with the Jones Plus.

Dennis

mtbr member

My new Jones Diamond set up with a new Shimano XT FD-M8000-H side swing front derailleur worked out great with a few single cable mounts thanks to Jeff Jones for having the two upper bolt mounts ☺
    The Side Swing front derailleur shifts so much better than an old model front derailleur.

Kiwi Pete from the Singletrack
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 06-04-2016 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just ordered a diamond frame with unicrown fork and am starting to order up parts. Can someone tell me what size/number of headset spacers I need?

Thanks, Dennis

mtbr member
    Standard 1-1/8" spacers, as many as you need to get the bars up where you want them. Best to put a couple of extra above your stem, in case you want to raise your bars later.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmd View Post
    I just ordered a diamond frame with unicrown fork and am starting to order up parts. Can someone tell me what size/number of headset spacers I need?

Thanks, Dennis

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question. I will be using a Thompson stem, and need to know the total distance from the headset that I need to fill with spacers, since I don't have the frame yet.

Thanks again, Dennis

mtbr member
    It's up to you. The fork comes uncut at (probably) 300mm. Maybe 350mm. If you don't cut the fork, then the number of spacers you need is:

fork length: 300mm?

stem clamp height: ~40mm

headset stack height: ~35mm

head tube length: not sure

Add the bottom three numbers up, subtract that from the steerer length, and that's the maximum amount of spacer you will need. Less if you cut the fork.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmd View Post
    I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question. I will be using a Thompson stem, and need to know the total distance from the headset that I need to fill with spacers, since I don't have the frame yet.

Thanks again, Dennis

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi guys, thinking of getting a Spaceframe 29 frameset, was wondering if I could just use my current rear wheel from my El Mariachi. I have a Hope 2 Pro Evo on the rear 135 QR. Will this work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi Yes.
    The Hope hub can be changed with just axle end caps.
    The Steel Spaceframe is 135mm and will just fit in.
    The new model Ti Spaceframe is 142mm so you will need the 142mm Hope end caps

Happy riding

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So the steel spaceframe take QR? Cool, thanks a bunch! Looking forward to getting a Jones

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021