Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by chromagnus
    yeah sorry about that. I didnt figure that you had the unicrown, but your last post is telling if you think it feels better than any other rigid fork. good enough of a review/comparison for me. Nice to see a review of the frame.
    I would not say it is better than any other fork. It feels different from every other fork I personally have tried. It is much more rigid when standing on the front wheel. There is none of the fore-aft resonance that is often seen under braking on a rigid. I would say it rides harsh, but I think all rigid forks pretty much ride harsh and am certainly no fork snob. To me rigid is rigid.

I would like to try a Niner carbon because it is super light and seems to be designed to alleviate the same fore-aft thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

get down!
    where is the geo posted?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks great Enel!

I should have mine with a basic fork in the next few weeks I suppose. Looking forward to it!

Powered by ice cream.
    I think I am adapting nicely:

Jordan would be proud.

I got out for a more woodsy ride this afternoon with the spawn. He noticed the "Jones" sticker sparkled in rainbow colors in direct sun, but I never saw it. Apparently it glows in the dark also:

Nice touch.

I didn't get much up to speed, but climbing felt like pretty much every bike, and the few times I got up to speed descending, it was super predictable with lots of front end grip. When the front lost traction, it was easy and predictable to manage it. Tire pressures are too high and I got a bit of a beating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Flows.
    thanks, I know JJ has his own branded 135 front hub now.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I'm not, at least not for the price he's asking for them. You'd think they were still being built in a little one man shop by Jeff himself for the price he wants.
    $750 is a lot of money for a frame & fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @ Enel - Do you think you will notice the difference in the wider hub compared to other wheels you've ridden, or do you think that will be too hard to discern due to the truss fork?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    @ Enel - Do you think you will notice the difference in the wider hub compared to other wheels you've ridden, or do you think that will be too hard to discern due to the truss fork?
    I don't think I can tell. Theoretically it should be a stronger, more durable wheel, but I can't remember the last time I killed a front.

mtbr member
    Nice banana yellow gloves

mtbr member
    It'd look betterer with the ti truss fork on.

If only someone had a used on for sale.

WNC Native
    I would like to try a Niner carbon because it is super light and seems to be designed to alleviate the same fore-aft thing.
    I think the Niner Fork on your ByStickel will be a very noticeable difference over the On One Carbon.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 02-12-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

MTB B'dos
    To answer the first question, Yes I ride a Paradox, MSRP is $600 for them.

As to the cost of the Jones, no I guess when you have other steel frames in that price range (not that I'd pay that for any of them since you can get a custom steel for about $800), but that was not what was being thrown about when they were being talked about, much, much higher. Also, then you have steel frames & fork for under $500 like the KM, so also, yes it's a lot. The there's the biggest BS of only being in one size, I mean really, now all of a sudden a 5'6" person should ride the same size bike as a 6'2" person? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by chromagnus
    Dont you ride a paradox? Those are 600$ and the Jones are 750 for frame and fork and bushnell bb. Doesn't get spendy until you add a truss fork then it is 1100.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    $750 is a lot of money for a frame & fork?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I think the Niner Fork on your ByStickel will be a very noticeable different over the On One Carbon.
    And it comes tapered

WNC Native
    And it comes tapered
    Yep, I've thought about getting one for mine at some point as well. Now if only it came with 15mm axle option too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Yep, I've thought about getting one for mine at some point as well. Now if only it came with 15mm axle option too.
    I think Ragley is working on something like that.

Despite the fork, the Bystickel and the Jones are on opposite ends of the stiffness spectrum of bikes I have owned. The Bystickel feels a lot like my Zion brand steel frame or an On-One Inbred. A bit flexy, and I can wind up the rear, but man it is comfy. The Jones is close to the Simon Bar: mega stiff, punishing, and precise. A Karate Monkey would be in between. The stays on the Jones dwarf the Zion/Stickel stays. This thing is pretty overbuilt. That's probably why Aqua hasn't broken his yet.

I don't think there is a right answer for how stiff is just perfect, and how stiff is too stiff but I think riders will definitely have their preferences.

Stiff=more punishing
    Flexy= slightly less punishing

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thought that - looks as stiff as the Paradox out back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    To answer the first question, Yes I ride a Paradox, MSRP is $600 for them.

As to the cost of the Jones, no I guess when you have other steel frames in that price range (not that I'd pay that for any of them since you can get a custom steel for about $800), but that was not what was being thrown about when they were being talked about, much, much higher. Also, then you have steel frames & fork for under $500 like the KM, so also, yes it's a lot. The there's the biggest BS of only being in one size, I mean really, now all of a sudden a 5'6" person should ride the same size bike as a 6'2" person? Give me a break.
    Custom steel bike for 800? Comparing to a KM (which is a POS IMO)?

As to being only one size, if it doesn't fit, don't buy it. 750 for a frame and fork is not that much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Get a fatty on the front

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Custom steel bike for 800? Comparing to a KM (which is a POS IMO)?

As to being only one size, if it doesn't fit, don't buy it. 750 for a frame and fork is not that much.
    But it's not a 'custom' frame is it? It only comes in one stock size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    But it's not a 'custom' frame is it? It only comes in one stock size.
    Didn't say it was. The guy I was responding to said that you could get a custom steel bike built for 800 bucks. I was just questioning that.

mtbr member
    Well thank you Enel. Now it really so much easyer to wait till the end of month... Aargh! (Chewbacca cry)
    Funkyzeit!

"Its All Good"
    I was not out on my Jones today, but I did see 2 steel spaceframe big front wheel Jones on there maiden ride. A father and son combo that I see often and have talked loads about my Jones have purchased them. One was black and on was blue.... Geared though. They looked sharp... To be honest, I am not a fan of the big front wheel....

Enel, bike looks mean.... Sucks we dont have the hard core techy terrain like Aqua does etc....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"