Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tai"-Jones

agu
    mtbr member

"Tai"-Jones

Like you guys, I agree that the truss is stiffer compared to the unicrown. It tracks better though.

I've also fitted a set of Derby Rims. Only had one ride so far. Will flog them some more before posting a review.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    Like you guys, I agree that the truss is stiffer compared to the unicrown. It tracks better though.

I've also fitted a set of Derby Rims. Only had one ride so far. Will flog them some more before posting a review.
    Add gears, and that's exactly how I'd have my Jones set up…if I only had the money.

mtbr member

Nice bike! Is that a Hans Dampf on the rear? What is the clearance like between the tire and the CS, room for mud?
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

agu
    mtbr member
    It's a Racing Ralph, 29x2.35. Has a bit of room for mud out back. I also have a RaRa 2.4 but I use that for front duty for "racing". Will try to snap a photo of the rear clearance next time.

mtbr member
    What do you think of the ti truss fork and ti h bar combo? I have the ti truss and plan on saving for the ti h bar for spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

My First Jones

Awesome ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Tai"-Jones-img_2641.jpg  

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    Nice bike! Is that a Hans Dampf on the rear? What is the clearance like between the tire and the CS, room for mud?
    There's 5mm clearance either side of the tire between the chain stays. Slick mud shouldn't be a problem. Thick, chunky mud may get stuck.

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzcheez View Post
    What do you think of the ti truss fork and ti h bar combo? I have the ti truss and plan on saving for the ti h bar for spring.
    The ti h bar I have is the old-school Jones - the one that requires a shim for fit 31.8 stems. There's a bit of flex when compared to a Loop bar (albeit the aluminum variety), but I guess that can be attributed to the smaller diameter tubes.

I wonder if Jeff will eventually offer a ti Bend Bar...

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same thing about the Bend Bar, it makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marv_campanella View Post
    Awesome ride!
    Nice marv. I like the blacked out set up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Nice marv. I like the blacked out set up.
    Thanks phsycle. It's beauty is only outweighed by its handling and stability. Worry free riding with looks to match. Can't beat that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That maybe the baddest looking Jones ever posted.

mtbr member
    Mines a little different now. Swapped frames with Enel. I prefer the Uni fork and after 3 years on my diamond and loving it got this chance at his rarely used space frame . Should be a smooth rider. Plus looks cool IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Tai"-Jones-20131217_075204-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That actually looks pretty cool. Why the preference for the Uni fork?

mtbr member
    I actually like the ride better I find the truss to stiff and somewhat distracting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I see. I believe I read towards the beginning of this thread that the difference wasn't that drastic anyway. I've been enjoying my Uni/Diamond, but do have a wandering eye when I see space frames with truss forks. I just can't seem to justify 2x the expense when they essentially ride about the same.

I put an Ardent 2.4 again in the back (from riding Ikon's all summer), and will be doing some snow riding this week. Knard up front should help pack down the snow some (hopefully).

mtbr member
    I run a Knard on a 50mm rim in the snow . Mostly I run chunky monkeys .They work amazing in 1-2 inches of snow. Ill post a good ride report in a few days .I had no complaints with my Diamond I just have a good buddy with a Spaceframe not getting
    used and said why not.Be different

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey Dan, I really like the looks of that Spaceframe with the Uni fork. I don't think I've ever seen that combo. I'll be interested to read your thoughts about the differences between the two frames.

mtbr member
    I sent Jeff a pic and he said he's always wondered what that would look like. So it may be the first. As far as ride difference it dampened, or slightly less harsh not a huge difference but just a little smoother. I just did a quick lunch boulder bashing.Ill post
    more when it drys out and I can get some speed.

mtbr member
    Looking to get a second set of wheels for my diamond with steel truss. (I'm at 250lbs)

I've got a set of p35's (with chunky's & ardent) on it now, but I think I want to take the fat front plunge and either a dually/rabbit on the rear. Most of the trails around Houston area short punchy stuff that's really tight.
    The P35's would take the big apples for my road wheel set.

Anyone have a recommendation for a fat front? I'm trying to keep my budget in check.

So rim width 65mm or 80mm (looks like 100 would be too much)
    Tires I'm leaning toward the On One floater or a BFL/Bud (but that would really stretch the budget...

There are way too many options now!

Thanks,

WNC Native
    I'd stay in the 50-65mm range on the rims. I've ran 47mm, 50mm, & 65mm in fat front setups, anything wider and you risk rim hits when riding non-snow trails (which is all I've ridden).

On One Floater, Nate, & Knard are good for those rims!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have used a 50 mm and 65mm (Marge Lite) with On One floater and prefer the 65mm as it provides more stability. I can also bring the PSI down to 8 which is just enough traction and suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Before you commit to a fat front, I highly recommend at least trying out a 29x3 Knard. I am running P35's with a Knard (set up tubeless via split-tube) and like it much better than full fat. Fat just felt too sluggish for me, especially on those short, steep, punchy climbs and techy stuff. Some like it (including JJ), but wasn't for me. Once the 29x2.75" Dirt Wizards arrive, I will be grabbing one of those as I think it will work out even better.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys. That would be a cheaper route going the Knard. Are you running the 27 or 120 tpi tire?

WNC Native
    I have used a 50 mm and 65mm (Marge Lite) with On One floater and prefer the 65mm as it provides more stability. I can also bring the PSI down to 8 which is just enough traction and suspension.
    I agree with this too. I preferred the 65mm too as the wider tire profile did allow lower pressures. Only downside to the wider rim in a fat front situation, is the front is eating stuff that will buck that back tire a little more IMHO. Slightly more balanced in that regard of feel with the 47mm & 50mm rims.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    Thanks Guys. That would be a cheaper route going the Knard. Are you running the 27 or 120 tpi tire?
    I was going to go 120, but at the time, the shop didn't have them as they were just too new, so went with 27 by default. But upon reading reviews of the paper-thin sidewalls of 120's, I'm glad I have 27. No sidewall issues for me.

I usually have mine just below 20psi, FYI. Hard-charging downhill through rock gardens hasn't been a problem. At 12psi, had a few rim hits. I weigh 160lbs.

mtbr member
    Im so waiting for the Dirt Wizard! Im going to run it tubless on a flow. My luch has been terrible with the wider rims,I think I said that before. Im kind of just hangin on to my
    Uma 50mm rim with knard for really snowy days which is rare aroung here.
    Oh ya Im so lovin the my new rebuild!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's a good deal. If I weren't satisfied with P35/Knard, I would buy that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    EDIT: I think I got it figured out. But if anyone has a steel truss for they'd like to sell, let me know.
    Last edited by phsycle; 01-06-2014 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone find the Jones bars too narrow? I'm 6ft 3 and whilst i love the shape for normal trails and honking up hills it all feels a bit sketchy when it gets fast and rough, or there are some reasonable sized relatively fast jumps involved. Going to try going back to some normal 750mm wide bars but just wondering if its me and i should persevere or whether others find the same? I've been riding the jones bars for 6 months or so now.

agu
    mtbr member
    Bunzl there are Jones Loop bars that are 710mm wide - are those what you're using?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Agu - No, just the standard bars which i think are 660 but i can't remember. Anyway, my problem with the 710 bar is that the horizontal section that attaches to the stem is no wider. The extra width is created by the bars extending further towards you on the same 45 degree angle. At my height i'm already running a 100mm stem and don't want the bars any further back so i don't think they would work.

By the way, how are you getting on with the derby rims?

mtbr member
    bunzi - im just under 6ft 2". i run a 100mm stem with 660mm loops.

i run the loops 'upside down' which drops the end of the bar an inch lower. have you tried this at all? (i know this doesnt make the bars wider but i find it even more comfortable)

i'd like the option of running a wider bar - im hoping jeff does a 710mm version of his bend h-bar.

as far as im concerned its minor tweaking rather than a full rethink as id plan to still have my levers/shifter in the same place but just with a more extended area for grip options.

agu
    mtbr member
    I see what you mean with regards to the extended grip area of the 710s. Maybe a wide-ish bar with a less sweep might work for you?

With regards to the Derbys I have to say that I am quite impressed with them. A few rock strikes have marred the finish on my rear rim but other than that they have help up fine. Running around 16-17psi on the rear and between 8-10psi on the Knard 29x3.0 up front.

We also have taken delivery of a bunch of Velocity Duallies. I've built up a Dually front for the other Jones, will take it out to dirt tomorrow. Mounted tire is a Vee Rubber Speed-R 2.4. As a reference point the same tire has a 58mm casing on a Blunt 35. On a Dually the casing is 62mm. Will eventually try it with a Knard 3.0.

...photo upload works now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Tai"-Jones-154492_475684245875009_1797546854_n.jpg  

Last edited by agu; 01-13-2014 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great, thanks, tempted by a Derby rear and also a Dually front as an alternative to running the full fat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My favorite set up on my Jones 24" Ti Diamond OG is a Enve DH bar and 70mm stem. I liked the Jones bars for cruising and touring, but just flat out prefer standard bars for general shenanagins. I always felt a bit pinned in on the Jones bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Morandi - I always felt a bit pinned in on the Jones bars. - exactly my thoughts. Great for gentle trail riding but when it gets a bit rough and rowdy they just don't feel quite right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    i'd like the option of running a wider bar - im hoping jeff does a 710mm version of his bend h-bar.
    I recently removed my Loop bars and put a Watson Cycles Parkarino bar on my Jones. 720mm and 31 degree sweep. It would be pretty close to a 710 Jones bend bar. I find the angles to be more similar between the two that I was expecting. However, I do think that bar would be better at 740mm.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Slow Danger: What do you think of the feel of the Watson bar? Does it provide comfort and does the angle work well with a Jones? I was debating about trying one of his bars too, instead of getting a ti h bar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Slow Danger: What do you think of the feel of the Watson bar? Does it provide comfort and does the angle work well with a Jones? I was debating about trying one of his bars too, instead of getting a ti h bar.
    I only have 4 shortish rides on the Watson bar. I like it, and I am pretty sure I'm going to sell off my Loop bars. First, the Loop bars are crazy stiff, so they beat me up a bit. My wrists and thumbs hurt quite a bit after rides. Next, I don't really use lights, packs, or other equipment that I might need the Loop for. Also, those extra hand positions aren't really of use to me. I ride my Jones as a trail bike exclusively, and my rides are short and All-Mountainish with lots of tech. As others have said, the Jones angle isn't the best for the roughest stuff. However, I like the angle of the Jones pretty much everywhere else. I could never afford the titanium Jones bars, so I figured I give a used set of Watson bars a try. My wrists seem to be happier, and I didn't notice any awkwardness from shifting to the lesser sweep. I got my Watson bars used, so a good deal. Carver and another titanium company out of Portland make, essentially, the same bar as the Watson too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Last edited by LBIkid; 01-23-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Bike sold
    Enjoy the ride!

agu
    mtbr member

a few more comparison photos, Jones and Dually

Don't mind the cat...

1. Dually with Vee Rubber Speed-R 29x2.4
    2. Dually with Surly Knard 29x3.0
    3. Jones 72mm fat rim with Surly Knard 26x3.8 vs Dually with Surly Knard 29x3.0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Tai"-Jones-dually-vee.jpg  

"Tai"-Jones-dually-knard.jpg  

"Tai"-Jones-dually-knard-vs-fat-knard.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice pictorials. I felt that after trying the 2.4 (too small) and fat (too big), the Knard felt just right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    agu - so how do all of those different options feel on the trail? ride report?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interesting to see the differences. It seems that Jeff either runs a normal 2.4 on a wide rim or goes for the full fat option, saving the knard for his other development bike. For what it is worth i was looking at this the other day and grabbed some outer diameter data from the surly site. A Bud comes up at 762mm, Nate 750mm, 2.4 Racing Ralph 752mm and a knard at 779mm. Unfortunately with size 12 feet (13 US) i fear i could have some serious toe overlap issues with a knard which probably rules it out for me.

mtbr member
    But what DOES your cat think?

That's what we want to know.

agu
    mtbr member

"Tai"-Jones

Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    agu - so how do all of those different options feel on the trail? ride report?
    Here are a few observations. Original front wheel was a Blunt 35, and I'm a rubber side down, 160# rider.

My other Jones is shod with a Derby rim and Knard 29 x 3.0.

The Dually gives the Speed-R a squarer profile, which to me improves front end grip. Was running 12psi.

I should have another Knard 29 x 3.0 soon, and it will promptly be mounted on the red Jones' Dually.

Personally I think that while fat front tires give amazing grip and quite a bit of cushioning, they're "too much tire" for these parts - I live on the tropics so no snow over here! I'm thinking the Dually/Knard 3.0 combo may be the happy medium. The Derby/Knard 3.0 combo is my other bikes's first choice front wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Let's keep this going.

Snow ride.

mtbr member
    What rim do you have that Knard on? Do you have any problems with washout from it on the front? (I've got a 27tpi on it's way, should have it wed to mount up to my P35)

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast