Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Actually, air brakes are the best. Just not simple enough for cars, moto's or bikes. There is a reason semi's and trains use them still.
    This is true, but that requires a motor to run a comresssor, and most of them are air over hydraulic.

As to cost the difference is the price of a decent tire for a better part, that will last years.

Attack Position
    My BB7s/FR5 levers with ripcord cables had decent enough feel and power, but needed constant fiddling to keep them from rubbing and the noise was awful.

I switched to SLXs last spring, install and cable shortening was easy enough and since then they have required zero maintenance or adjustment. Silent operation out on the trail and are crazy powerful.

That being said, I would take my BB7s back over any non-Shimano hydro set-ups.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Duplicate post (slow server response)
    Last edited by KLF; 11-04-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Duplicate post (slow server response)

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    It may require a longer bolt but I can see how putting a couple washers under the cable on the end of the lever would help leverage. But, this will also require more lever travel for the same pad travel. I sketched up a pic of what I think he's trying to say...
    But note that adding washers has no effect on the leverage until the lever arm rotates far enough so that the cable is free of the curved cable bed (the shark fin shaped piece that supports the cable before it reaches the attachment bolt).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    It may require a longer bolt but I can see how putting a couple washers under the cable on the end of the lever would help leverage. But, this will also require more lever travel for the same pad travel. I sketched up a pic of what I think he's trying to say...
    Bingo it works good,you can do it to like 3/4 of a inch or 1". I used a proper size 1 piece bushing on one end and like 3 nuts on the other. Shim it out to the point to where you like the feel and power.

I bought these brakes and stock they were not very good, for really technical riding which I do not do I could see some major gripes. I did a review in the review section and explained how I fixed mine. They have some issues stock but are easily fixed, in no way can they match a good hydraulic system but do you need that for a bicycle.Somebody who rides real technical stuff is probably better off with hydro's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can also achieve the same effect by using Avid Speed Dial levers and turning the leverage up (turning the adjuster in to move the cable closer to the pivot).

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey View Post
    Looking for some opinions from those that may have made this switch back to BB7s.

Did you miss the power? Enjoy the simplicity? Effect on your riding performance or enjoyability?

Long time rider that built up my dream bike (Silk Ti 29er) about six years ago and may need to replace my Formula Uno Puro brakes due to wear. Most likely looking at the new XT/SLX brakes. They seem solid. Bling parts are not in the current budget.

But I am having some second thoughts about possibly using BB7s with a set of almost new Avid Ultimate levers I have sitting in the garage. I currently use BB7s on my drop barred Niner MCR. Like them a lot. But that bike is more of a CX bike in build and use then a true XC bike.

I am 210lbs (225+ w/camelback) on mostly Front Range Colorado fireroad and singletrack. Never resort style downhilling, but still significant descending on XC rides. Still an occasional race. (last mtb race was Laramie Enduro) Style is relatively smooth and not as aggressive as I used to be 25 years ago.

Any real world experience or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
    I'm 195# and run two sets of hydros (on two geared 29er's- one full suspension w/ Elixir-CR's and one hard tail w/ Juicy 7's) and one set of BB7's (on my single speed 29er). I have no problem switching between them, run through a good bit of BB height water crossings, mud, dirt, etc. I like hydros better in two particular situations:

In sub freezing weather, mech brakes are a bit sluggish in my experience.

On really long descents I feel like I maintain consistent stopping power w/ hydros and BB7's take an additional amount of effort. Note: it is not enough of a difference that I'm going to throw them away but if I were buying new brakes, I'd tilt toward hydros. Recently installed Elixir 5's on my GF's 29er and they've been stellar. I have no qualms about bleeding brakes and haven't had difficulty with my two sets or installing & trimming the lines on my GF's set.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a set of BB7s/Ripcord/SD7 on two bikes. Same exact bedding procedure, and yet one of them, I could not get the squealing out for the life of me, and that included "resurfacing" the rotor and starting over. However, on the good set, I thought they were awesome, especially for the price. Setup, maintenance, tweaking, etc. was super easy as I had hoped, for my SS/rigid "simple/low maintenance" setup.

With that being said, I recently tried a 2012 XT setup, and was just wow'ed by how they performed. I was hesitant on having to deal with hydros in general, such as bleeding, leaks, etc, but honestly it's really not that bad. The BB7 had easy setup, but constant tweaking to get it just right, while the XT had more of an initial up front effort to setup, but little to no tweaking to get it just right. I will also say
    the XTs perform better than my BB7 setup, but I'll be honest that I probably didn't fudge with the SD7 levers or fine tune the BB7 as much as I could.

I have also tried a set of Avid Juicy 7 and that was the first and only time I endo'ed on a bike...enough said.

If I had to choose BB7 or XT, it would be a tough call, but I'd say BB7, but only because it just seems to fit in the scheme of simplicity of a SS rigid ride. However, since I don't have to choose, I'll probably stick with the XT for the time being.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've never understood the "maintenance" complaint for hyd brakes. I've had a set on my bike i literally haven't touched in three years... (well, aligned calipers once or twice, but that took me all of 5 seconds). Contrast that with the bb5's and bb7's on some riding buddy's rigs that we fiddle with all the time, and I have to say that I wouldn't want mechanicals purely for the maintenance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    I've never understood the "maintenance" complaint for hyd brakes. I've had a set on my bike i literally haven't touched in three years... (well, aligned calipers once or twice, but that took me all of 5 seconds). Contrast that with the bb5's and bb7's on some riding buddy's rigs that we fiddle with all the time, and I have to say that I wouldn't want mechanicals purely for the maintenance.
    For one, there's a misconception/misunderstanding/lack of knowledge about bleeding hydros. You got by 3 years without having to do it, which is quite a long time, so consider yourself lucky. When I set up my XT set, if I had a hiccup while cutting down the lines, I would have to deal with bleeding, right off the bat. From the sounds of it, although it doesn't intimidate me, I can see how it can scare others.

Then there's also the notion that hydros are more "complex". Maybe they don't necessarily require more maintenance, but they arguably can be more "complex" than a clearly visible cable that tugs on the caliper, which then squeezes the calipers onto the rotor (think V-brakes). Maybe the hydro complexity in itself, can add to the scariness of maintenance.

Big Boy
    does anybody know exactly what the weight difference is between the xt's and the bb7 are for a complete set?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

human dehumidifier
    I'm of the opinion that both mech and hydro disc brakes leave a lot to be desired. I never have to fiddle with my BB-7s (and don't understand why people do, but OK), but they feel primitive after using hydros. On the other hand, I've had problems with the hydros I've tried not retracting. The latest "feature" I've encountered with my Elixir-CRs is that they want to activate themselves JRA. I've got no idea what the heck could cause that. Maybe it's time for a bleed, but I'm not clear on how air in the system could force the pistons out when I'm not even touching the lever. It's definitely got me skittish about making an investment in new hydros when BB-7s work out of the box, and if they don't, I can figure out what the problem is straight away.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member

Switching from hydraulic brakes to BB7s on XC bike?

Tex- try weight weenies. I'm on my phone now or would pop up a link. Off the top of my head, the weight difference is not that great, and depending what XT model year you are looking at the XT is lighter. I am still a BB7 guy. I'll take simplicity, parts availability (I can buy a brake cable at Walmart if needed) and don't mind a small adjustment from time to time that I do about every 200 miles.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Birthday Collector
    I've been using BB7's on my Selma, but installed stainless 3/16" tubing with liner, bent to follow the frame/fork to the caliper... The tubing-to-handlebar is Nokon segmented housing - expensive but it does work nice. Feel like hydros, and the braking power is almost the same as well. The same set-up with Ripcord would probably work just as well. While I will concede that a good set of later XT brakes out-perform (slightly) the BB7's, I like the fact that on longer rides, or even tours, I can carry a spare cable and be able to do repairs on the trail in the event of a crash, etc... (Of course, I might have to look around to find a bunch of Nokon segments to put it back together...) For the riding that I do, the BB7's seem to be more than enough for me. If I was riding a FS bike that had a bit more "hit" capability, Shimano brakes would be the only way to go, IMO.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member

Switching from hydraulic brakes to BB7s on XC bike?

Scott- the stainless line thing intrigues me! Pics?

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4