mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Suspension Setup

Hello, I would like to set up my mountain bike properly for all mountain, but more downhill than CC. I have a 2017 Diamond Back Recoil Comp 29er, all stock. It has disc brakes, Suntour forks and a rear fox shocks air something or other. Should I take it to a bike shop to get it set up or just fiddle with it myself? Also whats the recommended PSI in the tires? Or is it just personal preference? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I would start by reviewing mfg recommendations. You have a newer bike so there should be online info for your specific bike, fork, and rear shock. Most have info regarding how to set sag, how much air pressure to use based on rider weight, how to adjust compression/rebound, etc. That's your starting point. There's no magic to it and many variables...rider preferences and weight, how aggressive you ride, terrain differences, air temperature, etc. Start with recommended settings and 'tweak' to your preference. If you have compression and rebound settings, experiment and see where it feels best for you. Lots of You Tubes on proper setup as well.

I strongly encourage you to do it yourself and learn how to make adjustments as needed...what's good for a day on XC trails will not be as good for a day of downhill riding. Eventually it will be easy to make quick adjustments prior to ride or during ride based on what you feel.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...