mtbr member
    Sep 2005

surly torsion bar - who's got one?

I know many of y'all like the bigger sweep bars. I need to replace my current riser bar (Easton carbon 5 deg) with a flat bar and I'm considering a bar with more sweep. The Surly is 15 deg and made of cromoly steel. Other than the weight difference I imagine that it would feel somewhat like a carbon bar especially compared to an aluminum bar. And its a hecka lot cheaper.

Anyone have or had one? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've got one, but I have only ridden it once. So, it's still to early to give you a definitive yeah or nay. That being said, I like it so far. At my size (260 with gear), I'd rather have a chromo bar than aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Look at some of Salsa's bars too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    The difficulty I had finding the 17deg Salsa MotoAce bars was the exact thing that lead me to the Torsion Bar in the first place. Then once I found out it was steel instead of aluminum, I was all over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I did for sure, but the carbon bars are expensive and I think I'd prefer to stay away from the 'feel' of an aluminum bar. I'm wondering if the folks that have ridden the surly bar noticed the ride quality...?

Witty McWitterson
    Had one for years. Despite its weight, I like it. Its very comfy, though I feel it could be a titch wider. Can't really say much about the ride quality other than its stiff. Ain't much flex happening there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    My favorite bar!

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Best damn underrated handlebar out there.

+1 It's steel baby.

+2 It's got width, mash or spin, doesn't matter, you've got leverage.

+3 It's flat, like all proper mountain bars should be.

+4 Nitto quality, well made, is handsome.

+5 Cost effective.

-1 If you are a Weight Weenie, don't bother. (Worry about your wheels instead.)

-2 All bars break, so don't think this is the end and be all of bars, just close to it.

I think this is one of the best buys out there, and I'm surprised I don't see more riders touting its Trés Cool Kosher appeal. Oh, well, not everyone is blessed with beauty and brains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rides like drunk ostrich
    I did for sure, but the carbon bars are expensive and I think I'd prefer to stay away from the 'feel' of an aluminum bar. I'm wondering if the folks that have ridden the surly bar noticed the ride quality...?
    I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the feel of the aluminum Pro Moto. For me they definitely feel like that have a comfortable give to them.

I haven't tried the Surly so I can't give a full comparison. Although based on martini's comment, the Surly isn't necessarily comfy just because its steel

If you do want the Salsa, check out Universal or Bikeman

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've got a torsion bar on each of my two bikes: one rigid, one with front suspension. I can't say I feel a difference in ride quality compared to aluminum bars, but after breaking an Al alloy bar I feel more confident on the steel. Personally, I'd like a few more degrees of sweep but I can live with it.

anyone else smell that?
    i just got a cro-mo mary (cro-mary?) from across the pond for the whole 'aluminum might break and ruin my day' thing. liking it very, very much. always wanted to try a torsion bar....but i need a little rise in the front end (that's what she said). might have to grab one and just learn to bend over a little further.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

lord of my world
    I run one one my Big Dummy, and it works well!

mtbr member
    I've only ever had straight cross country bars and bar ends and one slight riser so for you guys with these big sweep bars do you run the same length stem as you would with a straight bar so you'll be a bit more upright or do you go a bit longer so you have the same reach but with the angled wrist position?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by komekomegaijin
    I've only ever had straight cross country bars and bar ends and one slight riser so for you guys with these big sweep bars do you run the same length stem as you would with a straight bar so you'll be a bit more upright or do you go a bit longer so you have the same reach but with the angled wrist position?
    I'd run 100mm with a straight bar, I run a 120mm stem with the torsion bar. But really it all depends on the bar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I used a 90 mm with my 5 degree flat bar and Space Bar; went to a 105 mm after making the move to the Surly. I was a little surprised that I needed the longer stem since the 90 mm felt all right with the Space Bar. The Space Bar has more sweep - granted there is the offset of the forward bend - but by eyeballing it I figured the Surly would fit similarly. Maybe it had something to do with the rise of the Space Bar vs. the flatness of the Surly?

Anyway, yes, I did change to a longer stem.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Got two and i love 'em

mtbr member
    I have one. Rides very compliant and you can wrench on it pretty hard on the climbs. However I felt its too much sweep for me and went with a flat 3 degree carbon bar that I dig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Got two and i love 'em

Wow, cromo stem too. That must be smoooooth.