Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surly Ogre?

I Ride for Donuts

Surly Ogre?

There are a few bikes on my list of 'next commuter/tourer/backroad bomber, and they are all Surly Ogres. I'm not finding much in the way of reviews. Anyone with any experience on here?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the Ogre because I have not even seen one in person, but the geometry is very similar to a Karate Monkey. I have a first generation KM, which is a little beefier than the current KM, so mine might be similar in ride to the Ogre. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I have had my KM for about seven years. it has never been my "main" bike, but it has seen quite a few miles and even a little racing. I find the geometry of my KM very comfortable. My riding style tends more towards "race," and I find the KM feels fast but not twitchy. I suppose it rides a little stiffly, but it's a rigid frame and fork, after all. My KM has been used SS, 2x8, 1x8, and is currently 1x9. I have used it for general trail riding, dirt roads, snow riding, road rides, and as previously mentioned, even successfully raced on it. I think an Ogre would be great for the type of riding you describe.

Surly makes great frames for reasonable prices. I have never met an unhappy Surly owner (I am sure someone will pipe up that they don't like theirs, but I have not met that person). If you have the itch, go for it!

mtbr member

I test rode one at my LBS. Looks great. If didn't have a new 29er HT frame build already rolling an Ogre would be very tempting...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I think i'm gonna drop my Kona Dr, Dew in favor of a new Ogre frameset. Every part will convert over between frames and i'm not really happy with the Dew's harsh alloy ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    My current commuter is an Access 29er with drop bars, discs, and fenders. It works, but I love the versatility of the Ogre. I can see setting it up in several ways, and I'd love to have something with that many options. I've done a 450 mile tour on the Access, which was a major 'shakedown' of what I would want in the next bike that I would do something like that on. The Ogre seems to fit the bill perfectly. I'd like to do more backroad/dirt road touring. I also have a singletrack option on my commute, and lots of fairly mellow logging road/rail trail types of riding around here. It would not be the primary mountian bike, but it would see minimal trail use for sure. It just seems like the perfect bike for what I want to do.
    Just looking for any real world experience with it....

thanks for the input!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would totally be getting one if I wasn't in the process of paying for a fancy full squish bike. I have a Pugsley which has been my main mtb for the past year, and I have a Long Haul Trucker, and love both dearly.

Very, very good bang for the buck. That Ogre frame is super versatile. There's a good amount of info in the Surly forum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    I think i'm gonna drop my Kona Dr, Dew in favor of a new Ogre frameset. Every part will convert over between frames and i'm not really happy with the Dew's harsh alloy ride.
    The Ogre is a stiff frame/fork. The big soft 29er rubber helps a lot to smooth out the ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    EDIT: Appologies. I am wrong because I read the actual and not the effective TT measurement. Seems a perfect length.
    Last edited by MagicCarpet; 02-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have chimp arms, so a downhill stem and traditional drops may be just about perfect...

Vikb, how tall are you and what size is that? Top tube does look on the short side..

Ariolimax columbianus
    just built my 18" ogre frame up for commuting, dirt/road touring. rode it into work today, it was fun, smooth, and easy rollin on varied pavement. the fit and finish was a lot nicer than i expected. the frame didn't really feel that heavy either. went together real easy. i pulled the bottom bracket out and chased the bb shell this afternoon cause it was a lil rough on the initial install and i have the tools available. runnin an old school square taper crankset off my brothers old 90s stumpjumper. i teach high school and we have a full service bike shop class with a highly experienced mechanic as the teacher. now i wanna another crosscheck. i think i just feel back in love with surly, just make sure you buy the right size.

gotta sweet deal on mine cause i did some work at my lbs on a huge weekend sale. frame bags or racks? salsa anything cages? that's the burning question, i have both, it's nice to have options and w/all the brazeons it'll be easy to shuffle racks on and off. fenders might be a little tough to run due the dropouts, i'd like to here some more rider feedback about that. gonna build up a new wheelset soon and try and get a brooks saddle. really though, feels real comfortable just fiddlin around the yard and ridin in today, maybe i'll get it out on a longer rider this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Vikb, how tall are you and what size is that? Top tube does look on the short side..
    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and long arms. The bike I am sitting on is an 18" custom built complete so not the same spec as the Surly Ogre Complete.

If I was to order one I'd likely go with the 20" frame for the longer TT and live with no standover clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Marty at the Prairie Peddler is on the cusp of getting in the new order of Singular Gryphpons.
    I'm doing my commuter/dirt tour/ singletrack machine build with this frame.
    The only compromise IMO is the lack of eyelets on the fork for fenders, but this is easily overcome.

The ogre was also on my list, but the geometry was not a good match for my preferences - way to steep in the head and seat tube (harsher offroad) and a really long top tube, especially if you are considering drops.
    Might also look at the Salsa Fargo.

With shorter arms, a shorter ETT and higher frame "stack height" is vital IMO. .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Would love one of those, but i have 8 bikes already so not sure the wife will go for another bike.

mtbr member
    I have one on the rack right now, it is going to be my town bike. Over kill but should be sweet with the 8 speed IGH and some dirt drop action.
    I'll report soon. I am waiting on a few parts. The rear brake cable is meant to be continuous and that has messed up the build via this connected to that and under the tape and whatnot more than I would have expected.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i can post some pictures of mine later. i have a 32" inseam and the 18" is perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Ogre is perfect with a dropbar, IMHO

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Talk to me about sizing.. I'm torn because I can get a 20 or a 22, and my current bike is a 21. Looking at the charts, it's really right there in the middle... Should I go 20 and use a slightly longer stem, or go 22? My current stem is pretty short...

Ariolimax columbianus
    i think vik said it in the ogre build thread. go by top tube length. if your gonna run drop bars you might like the extra headtube length on the larger size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

love it. wellllll needs a truss or faith fork...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ Talk to me about sizing.. I'm torn because I can get a 20 or a 22, and my current bike is a 21. Looking at the charts, it's really right there in the middle... Should I go 20 and use a slightly longer stem, or go 22? My current stem is pretty short...
    Compare the TT lengths. It sounds like you should go 20. You can always buy a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Your bike is

Just beautiful.

mtbr member
    I'm also contemplating the Ogre as my next bike (more precisely frame). I intend the bike to be a general use mtb and off road tourer.

You might notice that I'm the OP on the "another Fargo vs Gryphon" thread, but after contemplating how easly those "v-brake" drop levers break (and how specific are them) I'm now considering flat bar options.

The bike yould be setup with 2x9 gearing (22-36 front), wide flatbars, etc.

However, currently have a Singular Swift, and I'm afraid that the ride quality will suffer a downgrade with the Ogre. The new generation Swift frame is also an option

mtbr member
    Another question: I run BBB allen key skewers on my wheels. Will this be strong enought to keep the wheel from moving on the Ogre dropouts?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Total ride time on an Ogre: less than 5 minutes.

Total time spent counting bottle cages on THIS PARTICULAR OGRE...significantly more.

I Ride for Donuts
    OP here... built one, love it. I have plans for rebuilding it in several configurations already

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast