Witty McWitterson

Surly Krampus: Ridden. My thoughts herein! [o]

But ya gotta click through: Find it at Fat-bike.com.

In the mean time, Pictures!
    [img]Surly Krampus/img]

Did I like it? Oh hell yes I did. Can't wait to get mine.

[img]Surly Krampus[/img]

[img]Surly Krampus[/img]

I'd easily call it the most confidence inspiring rigid bike I've had the pleasure of riding. It really, really likes to go fast.
    Just a regular guy.

Glutton for punishment
    Nice write up. I'm really fascinated by this bike and the more you guys post makes me want one!

So, from a riding effort standpoint: How does it stack up to a normal 29er with middleweight rims and Rampages or Gatos? I'd love for this to be my go to bike for everything including 60 milers.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Oh sorry, I thought you said heroin.

My boss is interested in this bike (or the Cannondale Trail SL 29er 3 SS). He's interested in a bike that he can ride trails with and occasionally ride to the beach to go fishing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you ridden any fat front only bikes? If so, could you compare? If not, why not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great write up. I want one.....except I just got the new El marichi SS and love it.
    Tahoe29er

Single Speed Junkie
    Thanks for the pics & link. With the rear tire clearance makes me wonder if there will be an even fatter tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is that 2 x 9? Any issues with chain rub with the MWOD? I'm hoping to set mine up with a double up front.

mtbr member
    Martini, thanks for the write up. I am rolling the dice on this one as my pre-order for a complete has been placed. I am always concerned buying before riding (I was with my Muk but that gamble paid off in spades), but after all the great press this thing has received, I am buying with confidence.
    What tires pressures were you running during that review? As a fellow Muk owner, I know how to play with pressures. But with the Krampus I am curious what a good pressure is for shredding the trails but offering some level of cush on the rooty stuff.

Witty McWitterson
    Lets get to this. Too many questions!
    ScottN: It does roll heavier than a traditional 29er, though if you're running big tires, with say P35's, its somewhat close, but you still get that bouncy fat tire feeling depending on the pressure you run. The Knard tire does roll really well though. There's really not much resistance to it all.

WIWR: I ran my Swift as a fat front all last season. I'm also full fat on a Mukluk. If you're asking if the Knard would run well as a fat front on a 29er, I think it would very well. In combination with as big a tire as you could get in the rear of course. On my fat front, the Nate I used tended to slow the steering of the bike down. Got to the point where I was using less brake, and using the tire traction of scrub speed if the conditions allowed. Once the Knard is available, it'll work well as a fat front option. quite well I 'd think.

chunkylover53: MWOD, no chain rub. Didn't really get a count on the rings, nor the gears. I just rode. The hard part is that the derailuer used is an SLX model that QBP doesn't stock any longer. You need to run a triple to reach the outer ring. You need to cable stop built into the mech as well as the Krampus doesn't have a housing stop.

Bacons: No idea on what pressure I was riding. Just got on and rode. I'd have put a pound or two in the rear if I could have. Hit the rim plenty of times on the trail. No real tire squirm, so that was good. Pushing the tires hard in the corners didn't lead to that squirmy/shifty feeling you can get with really low pressures. My guess is that I was under 15 psi, closer to 12. I bet that 12 to 15 range is the sweet spot for these tires.
    Just a regular guy.