Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Would a Cannondale Lefty 29er fork work on it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Would a Cannondale Lefty 29er fork work on it?
    There are Lefty conversion kits for the Pugsley etc so I imagine it would, one way or another

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Bike looks fantastic. Just wondering what frame, fork and wheelset will weigh...
    Also,how much and availability?
    I would venture to say that if weight was a real concern, this is probably not the bike for you.

That said, this looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    There are Lefty conversion kits for the Pugsley etc so I imagine it would, one way or another

Yeah, it should. P321 or Mendon Cycle is selling/making some Pugs Fatbike Lefty clamps for Lefty Max (clamped on, not bonded steerer clamps) forks. IIRC, Mendon (not affiliated, other than receiving awesome service from him) has some Lefty Max 140 alu forks with PBR dampers at a good price to go in those clamps. You just have to build the correct offset on the front wheel, and limit the travel of the Lefty Max fork so the tire doesn't hit the crown.

The forks are normally 140mm of travel, minus whatever it takes to clear the tire. For a regular 29er tire, the safe reduction is 30mm, leaving 110mm of travel.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-24-2012 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AshKa View Post
    Me too, just because !

Will (does) it fit a KM front fork ? Please Surly say yes !!
    KM fork is about 90 mm wide and a Knard tire has 3" = 75 mm. Height should be about 15 mm more an the KM fork has about 50 mm room. So it will fit without problems So I will build a Knard/Rabbithole frontwheel for my KM as soon as the parts are availiable
    Last edited by DerBergschreck; 07-25-2012 at 12:40 AM.

mtbr member
    You wish your bike was this fun.

I had a huge.....er....smile......the entire time i rode it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hurry knard!

Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    KM fork is about 90 mm wide and a Knard tire has 3" = 75 mm. Height should be about 15 mm more an the KM fork has about 50 mm room. So it will fit without problems So I will build a Knard/Rabbithole frontwheel for my KM as soon as the parts are availiable
    Me too!

Phat Cat Customs - Brown Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I would venture to say that if weight was a real concern, this is probably not the bike for you.

That said, this looks awesome.

Yeah, it should. P321 or Mendon Cycle is selling/making some Pugs Fatbike Lefty clamps for Lefty Max (clamped on, not bonded steerer clamps) forks. IIRC, Mendon (not affiliated, other than receiving awesome service from him) has some Lefty Max 140 alu forks with PBR dampers at a good price to go in those clamps. You just have to build the correct offset on the front wheel, and limit the travel of the Lefty Max fork so the tire doesn't hit the crown.

The forks are normally 140mm of travel, minus whatever it takes to clear the tire. For a regular 29er tire, the safe reduction is 30mm, leaving 110mm of travel.
    IIRC Mendon once said he could fit gazzis easily with the stock clamps.
    Still need ot reduce travle but other than that... maybe Mendon will drop by and confirm!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm just curious as to whether or not it would be worthwhile to try to fit a Knard on the stock Alex Adventurer rim of the Ogre... if it did fit, i wonder if it would be too narrow a rim to even take advantage of the tire.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    As well they should considering both Surly and Salsa are owned by the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    One of those has never been within a country mile of my shop nor my bikes, so I have no clear idea.

But I'd guess yes. Especially going forward--we all know Salsa will hop onto Surly's bandwagon and capitalize any way they can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This news just in:

from Surly HQ, the OD of the Knard is 30.4", about the same as a BFL, and will fit in a Pugs.

That 30.4" is basically measured from the ground to the top of the tire, so those who wonder if it'll fit your existing bike just need to measure up from the ground to see if your bike has the clearance.

Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread

Pat

Did I catch a niner?
    I asked this on Milltowns FB page but I wonder what this wheel/tire could do for the fat front crowd like my self. I would even love this rim with my studded rear tire to see what it could do.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

MTB B'dos
    Really interested to hear the price on these tyres and rims, hoping that it's more reasonable than what Fatbike stuff costs, i.e. aroundabouts your avg decent rim like a Stans around $70-80 and hopefully less than $70 for the tyre.

I've received some stupid, negative NEG rep and comments before (normally not signed by the loser), but this one for my reply to the thread below just absolutely amazes me - guess someone doesn't like me Normally a good sign you're being honest and forthtright

Quote Originally Posted by Loser
    Don't think they ship these to the third world. Not to peckerheads like you, at any rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Most definitely sign me up for at least one of these Knard tyres when they're available, most definitely want one to put on the front of the KM with 2.55" WW LT outback
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    As well they should considering both Surly and Salsa are owned by the same company.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, really Quality Bicycle Products

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Surly bikes I have owned, 1x1- check, KM-check, Pacer check, Cross Check x3-check check check. Krampus- coming soon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was being sarcastic, I've my share of Surly and Salsa stuff. Although it just occurred to me that maybe the Surly/Salsa/QBP thing isn't common knowledge. But it certainly is known by Mikesee

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Side note, it is interesting to see the coming together of Fatbikers and 29er heads in this thread ...not that the two are mutually exclusive, but still

artistic...
    Really interested to hear the price on these tyres and rims, hoping that it's more reasonable than what Fatbike stuff costs, i.e. aroundabouts your avg decent rim like a Stans around $70-80 and hopefully less than $70 for the tyre.

I've received some stupid, negative NEG rep and comments before (normally not signed by the loser), but this one for my reply to the thread below just absolutely amazes me - guess someone doesn't like me Normally a good sign you're being honest and forthtright
    well.. anyone who judges other people by what they can afford should be dealt w/ harshly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Considering that everyone is all amazeballs that they had the mold to make this tire, I'm guessing it's going to be closer to fatbike tire than normal tire. I'm figuring $100 USD and if it falls within $20 higher or lower, so be it

middle ring single track

Fatbikes are...

Side note, it is interesting to see the coming together of Fatbikers and 29er heads in this thread ...not that the two are mutually exclusive, but still
    ...29ers as far as tire OD is concerned! Here's an experiment I'm trying with my Pugsly; "Half-fat Doggie-style":
    Photobucket
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    This is the revenge of 29ers...
    ...silencing the 650B shouting...

Pee in who's Koolaid?... LOL

Go Krampus, go TwoNynePlus

Gotta find even "BIGGER" Rocks to crush now!

mtbr member
    Considering that everyone is all amazeballs that they had the mold to make this tire, I'm guessing it's going to be closer to fatbike tire than normal tire. I'm figuring $100 USD and if it falls within $20 higher or lower, so be it
    The low volume will drive the price high. A cheap fatbike tire is $90 and a bling one is $150. If they offer the Gnard in 27tpi and 120tpi versions they probably be priced along the same lines.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

tl1
    Bicyclist
    I'm not a mind reader nor do I play one on TV. It just seemed like kind of sharp edged anti-Salsa comment to me about how they jump on whatever bandwagon Surly develops. I think they're both great companies that happen to share a common owner. Maybe Salsa doesn't give Mike new free stuff to test like Surly does or something and it makes him sad? I don't know exactly the genesis of the Salsa slap.

Originally Posted by mikesee
    One of those has never been within a country mile of my shop nor my bikes, so I have no clear idea.

But I'd guess yes. Especially going forward--we all know Salsa will hop onto Surly's bandwagon and capitalize any way they can.
    I was being sarcastic, I've my share of Surly and Salsa stuff. Although it just occurred to me that maybe the Surly/Salsa/QBP thing isn't common knowledge. But it certainly is known by Mikesee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    I'm not a mind reader nor do I play one on TV.
    So why are you playing one on MTBR?

Did Salsa pay you to post that?...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

MTB B'dos
    Whole heartily agree and never do, I'll ride with anyone, riding on anything as long as it's safe. Not quite sure which way your comment was meant to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    well.. anyone who judges other people by what they can afford should be dealt w/ harshly.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast