Page 45 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2915

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I'm running Velocity Blunt 35's (aka P35) on 27TPI Knards tubeless (split tube). No issues thus far, although it's slowly leaking air somewhere. It will lose all air in about a week's time, so nothing too bad.

I really don't have any steering issues at high speeds. I think the Blunt's are wide enough to help keep the squirm to a minimum. I'd like to try RH's one day, but at twice the cost, not worth it for me.
    Yup, a buddy has a Knard on a Flow EX up front and I'm pretty sure he'd smoke Brian Lopes on a DH right now. OK maybe not but Knard + Flow EX = awesomeness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    i never understood the fascination with mechanical disc brakes. is it a price point issue? i know alot of surly bike owners are happy with them on the completes or opt for them when doing a frame up build.
    why not the deore hydraulics which are very cheap and based on the new style xt/slx brakes?
    not bagging them, just curious
    pretty simple, you can get a pair of BB7 brakes with rotors for $80 and then throw on another $20 for levers. So $100 gets your riding and they do work well, really well. Shimano hydros you are spending $100 per brake and you get the levers obviously but then you still have to fork out $$$ for rotors. My icetech rotors just ran me $60 each. For whatever reason the lower level shimano hydros don't get love as aftermarket products. Seems like people go with xt or above although the latest and greatest slx which are basically xt with one little screw missing, has changed that.

MTB B'dos
    Please post the link to where you can find a pair of BB7s for $80, I'll buy the set right now. USED to be that was the case, a few years ago, but now the cheapest I've found is about $100 for the set, then you need levers, cables, when done you're at $150-160 for good cables, calipers and normal levers, add in the Ultimates and Whabang you're over $300 for the set.

Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    pretty simple, you can get a pair of BB7 brakes with rotors for $80 and then throw on another $20 for levers. So $100 gets your riding and they do work well, really well. Shimano hydros you are spending $100 per brake and you get the levers obviously but then you still have to fork out $$$ for rotors. My icetech rotors just ran me $60 each. For whatever reason the lower level shimano hydros don't get love as aftermarket products. Seems like people go with xt or above although the latest and greatest slx which are basically xt with one little screw missing, has changed that.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Blue sky is the cheapest I have found for complete set. 129.00

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Please post the link to where you can find a pair of BB7s for $80, I'll buy the set right now.
    Ebay is blocked at my work, but here is details for a "buy it now" purchase that I made last June for $81.69. No rotors, cables, or levers, but that was fine with me since I didn't need those parts. Another benefit to mech discs is you can buy just what you need. Cables are cheap, and rotors seem to last forever for me. Levers can be picked up cheap, since they are compatible with many other brake types (v-brakes for mountain, canti's/calipers for road).

Seller: modifiedbicycles ( 604 )
    New 2012 Avid Ball bearing 7 BB7 brake caliper set, front and rear, ships from US
    Paid on Jun-24-12 $81.69
    Free Shipping

UPDATE:
    $78.99 - 2 caliper with original pads, mounting bolts and 160mm IS adapters

$96.99 - 2 Avid BB7 mountain calipers with original pads, mounting bolts and 160mm IS adapters. 2 Avid Heat shedding HS1 160mm rotors. with mounting bol
    Last edited by renegade44; 04-05-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    I'd rather have a quality hydraulic disc brake on a MTB [I put SLX hydros on the Krampus], but I have used BB7's and they aren't bad. What I wouldn't want is cheap disc brakes of any variety because they'll just get replaced quickly and that's a waste of $$$.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Surly Krampus

Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365260132.152615.jpgSurly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365260147.418143.jpg

I just built my krampus back up after a trip to the powdercoater

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

^
    No green sparkle? I thought that was the best part about the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    ^
    No green sparkle? I thought that was the best part about the Krampus.
    +10 - the first scratch in the sparkly green finish nearly made me cry...

One reason I grabbed a K frame when I did was my LBS said Surly might switch to basic black after a certain production run this year and I had to have that green!

Having said that the black does look ninja cool...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I think a bike this outrageous deserves outrageous paint.

I love my ninja black km, but the green on this krampus just rocks.

The White Jeff W

Another Krampus sighting today. Everybody that gets on it smiles ear to ear.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1365369206597.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  38.1 KB
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm going crazy waiting on my mid-june order. Putzing around on my touring cycle looking at every hill and forest...

mtbr member
    After the weather allowed a few real rides this past week, all I can say is the Krampus rips! Handles rocks, roots, creeks, jumps, berms, all with grace.

mtbr member

Krampus in the wild

This bike does not fit me like a glove but it is still a lot of fun and a good proof of concept for the wheel size. Surly Krampus-krampus-100.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    An Aussie distributor has just posted a big pallet of completes that arrived at their docks, so if you're in Australia and are chasing a complete, Dirtworks have them (for an arm and a leg though!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Gold sets off the green nicely
    Enjoying my Krampus a lot at the moment...

mtbr member
    I went with gold accents as well. I did ano gold grip lock rings, seatpost clamp, derailleur jockey wheels and frame bolts. I don't have a picture showing all the gold parts, but those small accents look great without being too overbearing. This picture is just to show that my bars are a bit too wide for my local trail

I'll have to get a picture showing the rest of the gold accents this week.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I went with gold accents as well. I did ano gold grip lock rings, seatpost clamp, derailleur jockey wheels and frame bolts. I don't have a picture showing all the gold parts, but those small accents look great without being too overbearing. This picture is just to show that my bars are a bit too wide for my local trail

I'll have to get a picture showing the rest of the gold accents this week.
    I do think your seat's a bit crooked.

mtbr member
    Picture seems to make it look that way, but it's straight. I raised my seatpost slightly right before I snapped the picture so it's 100% straight in this pic.

The bike is leaning a bit to the left. Notice you can see much of the right side of my bottle and drivetrain and little of the left side of the bike, that's what's making the seat look crooked.

mtbr member

Ok. We don't want any pain in the ass issues!

mtbr member
    Nobody likes a crooked seat! Lol

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Sasquatch-I did gold too! Do Jagwire gold medal housing-I even did the hydro lines.
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz View Post
    Sasquatch-I did gold too! Do Jagwire gold medal housing-I even did the hydro lines.
    I was thinking of that, but decided on gold after I already bought my cables. I've never been a fan of a lot of colored parts, so I think gold housings may have been too much for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Please post the link to where you can find a pair of BB7s for $80, I'll buy the set right now. USED to be that was the case, a few years ago, but now the cheapest I've found is about $100 for the set, then you need levers, cables, when done you're at $150-160 for good cables, calipers and normal levers, add in the Ultimates and Whabang you're over $300 for the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Ebay is blocked at my work, but here is details for a "buy it now" purchase that I made last June for $81.69. No rotors, cables, or levers, but that was fine with me since I didn't need those parts. Another benefit to mech discs is you can buy just what you need. Cables are cheap, and rotors seem to last forever for me. Levers can be picked up cheap, since they are compatible with many other brake types (v-brakes for mountain, canti's/calipers for road).

Seller: modifiedbicycles ( 604 )
    New 2012 Avid Ball bearing 7 BB7 brake caliper set, front and rear, ships from US
    Paid on Jun-24-12 $81.69
    Free Shipping

UPDATE:
    $78.99 - 2 caliper with original pads, mounting bolts and 160mm IS adapters

$96.99 - 2 Avid BB7 mountain calipers with original pads, mounting bolts and 160mm IS adapters. 2 Avid Heat shedding HS1 160mm rotors. with mounting bol

Also

New Avid BB7 Mtn Mountain Bike Mechanical Disc Brakes F R | eBay

Please provide proof of purchase.

mtbr member
    Really digging the wide bar. Very planted, yet playful feeling with how it is currently setup.

My only complaint about the bike is the weight. 31lbs isn't bad for what it is, but I wouldn't mind something closer to 28 or 29lbs. Hoping some lighter components and tubeless will help, but I'm riding it as-is for right now.

Is anybody running regular 29'er tubes instead of the Surly tubes? How're they working?

Page 45 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast