Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmaag View Post
    This tire is bigger but it can't be more than an inch taller than a standard 29er.
    How much you wanna bet?

Now all we need is a suspension fork!
    This rim/tire combo *barely* fits a few existing sus forks. Barely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool! Then it will be excellent as a fatbike tire alternative for dirt riding!

I was thinking about a suspension fork like the German Answer fatbike fork.

JB

Wikipedia is Wrong!

When I ride too hard after a big meal, I get Krampus.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmaag View Post
    I run a carver carbon fork on my Mukluk. It's basically the same size as the Salsa enabler. There is lots of room with a standard 29er rim and a 2.4 tire (about 2.5 inches to the side of the crown). This tire is bigger but it can't be more than an inch taller than a standard 29er.

Now all we need is a suspension fork!
    Whatever the tallest rear tire you've run, consider that the difference with Knard's 30.5" need to be halved for loss of clearance. I bet lateral clearance will be fine, vertical might be a bit of a squeeze. Suppose the tallest you've run is ONLY 29.00". Tape a 0.75" block to it and see how it goes round.

A thing that sortof disappoints me in my mix-matching dreams, is that I don't think I'll get this to work with V-brakes. I'd buy 3.0" tire / 50mm fork compatible V's+Levers if they existed. Maybe in the Fat Bike forum someone runs a home made solution.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    A thing that sortof disappoints me in my mix-matching dreams, is that I don't think I'll get this to work with V-brakes. I'd buy 3.0" tire / 50mm fork compatible V's+Levers if they existed.
    My guess is it's better for your health if that dream does not come true. The stopping distance might be a little more than you dreamed of...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A thing that sortof disappoints me in my mix-matching dreams, is that I don't think I'll get this to work with V-brakes. I'd buy 3.0" tire / 50mm fork compatible V's+Levers if they existed. Maybe in the Fat Bike forum someone runs a home made solution.
    I've used a Tektro 857AL (110mm arms) with a 26" 47mm rim (on a unicycle) and there is clearance for a Duro 26x3.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy View Post
    I'm just happy that the tyre will fit in my Salsa CroMoto Grande fork.
    Have you confirmed this????

Mikesee- can you tell us if it fits in a Salsa CroMoto Grande Fork??
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    I've used a Tektro 857AL (110mm arms) with a 26" 47mm rim (on a unicycle) and there is clearance for a Duro 26x3.
    That's very interesting, thanks! The Knard doesn't look very tall for a true 3.0.
    Would canti post spacing not be an issue?

And Jeroen, you know me well enough to understand that I would even skip a front brake from a build I would think I go that minimalistic. Stopping distance is irrelevant with unlimited grip.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

I'm Lazy.
    Do want to ride this.
    - 2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    - Octane One Zircus
    - Soon To Be Fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I read Knard as canard:

a : a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report b : a groundless rumor or belief

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Surly

If you are listening, and I read in another thread that you are. Produce twice as many tires as you planned to in the first run. For if they fit in the front of a rigid fork, many are going to want one, just because.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    Surly

If you are listening, and I read in another thread that you are. Produce twice as many tires as you planned to in the first run. For if they fit in the front of a rigid fork, many are going to want one, just because.
    Me too! Just because. I want two. And a Krampus.

You surely need an old bike wrench as a test pilot. I am available!

mtbr member
    So much winning. Kinda wanna trade my KM for this
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Will the Kanard fit a Carver O'Beast FatBike fork?

Whatever the tallest rear tire you've run, consider that the difference with Knard's 30.5" need to be halved for loss of clearance. I bet lateral clearance will be fine, vertical might be a bit of a squeeze. Suppose the tallest you've run is ONLY 29.00". Tape a 0.75" block to it and see how it goes round.

I uploaded a picture of the Carver O'Beast fork for FatBike with a 2.3X29er tire. Sure looks like the Kanard should fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_20120724_100016.jpg  

Professional Crastinator
    Yeah, but is the 29er yoke for the BOB Yak trailer big enough?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Surly

me too!
    dont have the money at the moment for a complete build..but I guess I surely would like to try the wheel /tire combo on my rigid fork..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    alright mikesee, since you seem to be chilling on this thread more'n the other.
    in terms of traction, I'm assuming this compare smore favourably iwth hudu's than nate's?
    I've still got gazzis, so not in a rush to lose traction for weight. (although it WOULD be luvverly!) which is why I was originally waiting for the nates to get more widely available before i got a fatbike.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

tl1
    Bicyclist

Krampus?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    When I ride too hard after a big meal, I get Krampus.
    Dang near Killedus.

mtbr member
    I love the idea of big volume 29er tyres. 2.3 gatos are monsters (for me) and great for mud and wider on my p35s than 2.4 ardents. My jones has bags of clearance up front for more and I'm game for bigger. Starting to think about a fat front but I think this sounds much better. I'll wait and see if they would fit/work on the rims - too narrow? Interesting chat above regarding geo changes/tyre height.

Ultimately I reckon the Knards might not be absolutely right for me tread wise but I love the overall size being 'birthed'.

Think surly are a very interesting bike company, very creative. I won't be buying a Krampus but I think it looks like a great bike, looked at it a lot . I look forward to hearing the ride reports.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mr. Jones, meet Mr. Knard and Mr. Rabbit Hole. Gentlemen, we'll be spending a lot of time together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Surly

Me too, just because !

Will (does) it fit a KM front fork ? Please Surly say yes !!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Mikesee- can you tell us if it fits in a Salsa CroMoto Grande Fork??
    One of those has never been within a country mile of my shop nor my bikes, so I have no clear idea.

But I'd guess yes. Especially going forward--we all know Salsa will hop onto Surly's bandwagon and capitalize any way they can.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    A short video of Adam from Surly going over some of the highlights:

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's very interesting, thanks! The Knard doesn't look very tall for a true 3.0.
    Would canti post spacing not be an issue?
    I don't have a 29er fork with cantis to compare but the brake posts on my unicycle frame are 94mm c-c.

Really I am that slow

MT likes it

First ride: Surly's new Krampus, a '29 plus' with 3-inch tires | Dirt Rag Magazine

this thing just looks what the honey badger would ride
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast