Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Yep. Got it. Common sense, right? Now I'm just looking into a couple different methods.
    Yeah kind of common sense. Some people have tried sticky outside and just let the dirt collect. After a certain point, the tape is nicely coated. I've also heard of coating the exposed tape with glitter. Now that might be cool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Update on my tubeless setup...
    45mi shredder ride 4k climbing in goathead central Tucson Az &
    2 day bike-packing ~40mi on the Black Canyon Trail which has some gnarly tire flattener sections.
    ...still holding awesomely with the 26" split tube setup and no tape!

Also, unless you're doing mega-drops and DH sections, this thing handles about the same as my Kona Unit with a F29!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    did you use any foam under your split tube? width?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robothouse View Post
    2 day bike-packing ~40mi on the Black Canyon Trail which has some gnarly tire flattener sections.

Also, unless you're doing mega-drops and DH sections, this thing handles about the same as my Kona Unit with a F29!!!
    crazy, mine required foam (for floor pump bead seating) and keeps burping at moderate pressures, and I've only set it up tubeless in the front! 27tpi tires. The tires weren't all that easy to get on the rim either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Are you saying you have the split tube right up against the bare rim?
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Where do you guys see this new tire size going? Will there be more offerings or is this going to be it for tire selection? I like the idea of being able to use standard bike stuff and and getting some "fat bike" benefits.

Also,

Has anyone tried running their Krampus with normal 29er tires and wheels? Did you get a lot of pedal strikes? How low was your BB? Got a pic of the chainstay clearance in the rear with the knard and normal 29er tire? I am thinking that this might be just the ticket for a winter bike, if there is enough tire clearance.

mtbr member
    I know I've said it numerous times, but I hope Surly makes a 29x3" Nate

I would like to see a regular 29" tire mounted on the Rabbit Hole. I like the look of regular (2.2-2.4 width) tires on wide rims. I kind of wanted to build up a Karate Monkey with a Rabbit Hole wheelset and 29x2.4" tires to see what it was like if I didn't get a Krampus.

Baby Bear is in the house

Fox fork???

Can we please have a photo of the tire clearance on that Fox fork? What rims are those?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Can we please have a photo of the tire clearance on that Fox fork? What rims are those?
    There are multiple pictures of the fox fork tire clearance in this thread already.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I know I've said it numerous times, but I hope Surly makes a 29x3" Nate.
    Agreed on the face of the idea. However, the Knard is a decent rear tire already, what's needed is a front specific tire, so my vote would be, bring on the 29x3 Bud!!!!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Baby Bear is in the house
    Sorry. I haven't had the time to go through all 29 pages of this thread.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Sorry. I haven't had the time to go through all 29 pages of this thread.
    Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Where do you guys see this new tire size going? Will there be more offerings or is this going to be it for tire selection? I like the idea of being able to use standard bike stuff and and getting some "fat bike" benefits.
    The development of fat bike 26 x 4" rubber gives you an idea of what will happen. Surly ran with one general purpose tire for a few years until sales of fat bikes grew the market. Then they released a 2nd tire and then several tire options. Now you have a at least 1 non-QBP company [On One] putting out a quality 26 x 4" tire.

My guess is that Surly/QBP will want to keep the buzz going on the Krampus/29+ idea so I would expect something new every year. They want the forums, blogs and mags buzzing so that the idea catches on.

That could be a new tire or maybe Salsa will release a lighter AL 29+ bike. Maybe both.

I think it will depend on sales numbers for the Krampus and also for 29+ tire/rims a la carte.

To answer your question the other way the Knard won't be the only tire option in a couple years unless QBP is stuck with a bunch of 29+ tires and rims they can't sell. That doesn't seem likely.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So you are running a split tube without any type of rim strip under it? My Knard and RH should be here today It's going on the front of my rigid SS. Going to try it on a P35 while I'm building the RH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Salsa will release a lighter AL 29+ bike
    wouldn't shock me if we saw that this weekend.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Has anyone tried running their Krampus with normal 29er tires and wheels? Did you get a lot of pedal strikes? How low was your BB? Got a pic of the chainstay clearance in the rear with the knard and normal 29er tire? I am thinking that this might be just the ticket for a winter bike, if there is enough tire clearance.
    Surprisingly enough, the Krampus has a higher BB than a Karate Monkey:
    BB Drop:
    Karate Monkey: 68.0mm
    Krampus: 60.0mm
    Salsa El Mariachi: 60 mm

So with all equal size 29er tires, the Krampus and El Mariachi will have the same bb height, and Karate Monkey will be lower.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    So you are running a split tube without any type of rim strip under it? My Knard and RH should be here today It's going on the front of my rigid SS. Going to try it on a P35 while I'm building the RH.
    Please give a review on how the Knard works with the P35.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry folks, I guess I left some info out on the tubeless setup...

- 120tpi Knard tires (front n rear)
    - no foam or gorilla tape used
    - used Surly's provided PVC 38mm rim-strip
    - used 26" tube split down the middle over Surly's rim-strip
    - 2.5oz of Stan's sealant per wheel... not much, I know... but I'm testing
    - used air compressor to inflate, both wheels sealed bead on the first try.
    - running happily with ~13psi on trail rides, holds air even overnight in sub 32F while bikepacking
    - brings 2 tubes for backup on rides, but am starting to feel pretty comfy with this setup after +100mi

Everyone else I've been reading online use variations including foam, gorilla tape, 24" tubes, etc... these may provide added longevity, but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Could someone with a medium Krampus measure the dimensions of the interior of the front triangle [ie. the size of a frame bag] pls?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks robothouse.

Got my Knard 120 and RH today. Knard weighed 970g and RH was 700g. Don't have spokes or a hub yet for the RH, but I mounted the tire on a P35 and the RH with a tube. At 20psi, the tread width was 74mm and 74.5mm respectively. I was also able to get the tire to easily bead tubeless on the RH with just one wrap of clear package tape using a compressor. Was planning to use a 24 split tube but after this test I think I will mount it with just tape.

At low psi, I think you could get away with running a split tube without a rim strip/tape.

mtbr member
    I mounted the tire on a P35 and the RH with a tube. At 20psi, the tread width was 74mm and 74.5mm respectively.
    Aside from the minor difference in width, is there much of a noticable difference in profile between the tire on the two rims? I mounted a Knard on a P35 and the profile appears quite "eggy" (i.e. tall with substantial drop from the crown to the edge knobs). The pics I've seen of the Knard on a RH look similar, but a side by side comparison would be great.

mtbr member
    miles e, I'll take some pics of the two later this week. I honestly didn't really pay any attention to the profile between the two rims. If I get the RH built before the weekend, I probably won't even try the P35 first.

mtbr member
    miles e, I'll take some pics of the two later this week. I honestly didn't really pay any attention to the profile between the two rims. If I get the RH built before the weekend, I probably won't even try the P35 first.
    Cool. I'm sure the RH is the optimal rim for the Knard, but I have a few reasons for wanting to use the P35 (which Surly did say was okay) so long as it doesn't handle to wonky. Maybe the low pressure will flatten the tire out once on the bike and negate some of what I'm seeing, but it seems like the cornering would be weird with such a tall profile.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Surly Krampus

Just picked up mine...Surly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361332664.163261.jpgSurly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361332678.606772.jpgSurly Krampus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361332700.590640.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So I've just about concluded that tubeless won't work on these. I keep burping my front wheel unless I run the pressure much higher. Last night I lost so much air from losing bits here and there that I got a snake bite in the sidewall and couldn't get it to reseal and had to stick a tube in. I'm thinking the 27tpi tires are just lacking something that nicer folding tires have. I thought the 27tpi would be more durable and work better for tubeless, just with the weight penalty of the heavier, cheaper tire. I'm disappointed, this will be the first time for me running tubes in a few years!

Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast