Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Heres mine.

1x10 XTR/XO drivetrain 34 front- 11-36 XX rear cassette, XTR brakes, Whiskey Handlebar, King Headset, Thomson Masterpiece post/X Fusion HiLo post and 60mm thomson stem.

I was not expecting to like this bike this much.....
    Please let us know how that 27.2 dropper post works out, durability wise. Seems like a natural for the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    just realized today as i looked down at my quickly balding tires(again), that i ride entirely too much to own one of these bikes. the thought of buying three sets of tires a year sounds very expensive.

when i had my puglsy i was that expense as i only rode it on the snow and the tire lasted three seasons. can't see that happening with the knard.

Single Speed Junkie
    The width- from the casing, not the side knobs- is 69mm and the height is 66mm.
    Would be curious if you would have measurements on a Hans Damph on the same rim. Reason I'm curious is that i believe I measured 69mm on a Enve AM rim. Do not fully recall as that was a week or two back.

(Correction - I measured the HD tire last night on the Enve AM rim and it measures 59.5 Wide.)
    Last edited by crux; 02-08-2013 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Normbilt... can you describe your build, please? Thanks.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Please let us know how that 27.2 dropper post works out, durability wise. Seems like a natural for the Krampus.
    I have had the dropper for over a year and had it on a few different bikes....been great for me!

Having the dropper on the Krampus raised some eyebrows until of course you go past the guys looking at the rocky downhill section

Once I load the pix from yesterday to my computer wait and see the latest "addition" I did to this rig!
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member

A little bit more of a review

After some more time and additional tuning on the Krampus I'd like to give more of a review of my experience. I still only have ridden it in the snow (some light mud today) but it hooks up very well. Tire pressure seems to be key, as you'd expect, but it just wants to keep rolling even with low psi. The tires shed soupy mud very well just like snow. I am glad I went with a narrower bar than what Surly puts on the completes. The gearing I chose suits my local trails very well and since this is my first 1x10 setup I'm excited to get more time on it. I still can't wait for warm/dry weather here to see how it will really handle!

My initial build was planned to be very budget-friendly. The original plan was SLX hubs for reliability/rebuildability, BB7 brakes and a Sram X7 drivetrain with other parts being out of my parts bin. I bought the hubs and brakes long before I got the frameset. When I bought the frame I decided to get some nicer parts, but I just stayed with the hubs and brakes for now. Future upgrades include a Thomson seatpost, Hope hubs, hydraulic brakes and converting to tubeless once I get some holes in my tubes.

Main build specs:

Cane Creek headset
    Truvativ Stylo crankset/34t Salsa chainring/Paul chain keeper/Shimano M530 trail pedals
    X9 shifter/derailleur with PG-1050 11-36t cassette and PC-1051 chain
    BB7 brakes/SLX centerlock rotors/Jagwire Pro cable kit/FR-5 levers
    Truvativ Stylo stem/Salsa Moto 2 bar/Kalloy seatpost and Specialized saddle
    120 tpi Knards with those very heavy Surly toobs

Some quick pics from tonight's ride around the backyard trails before it got dark.

Need some hardpack to get rid of these tits!

Soupy mud/melting snow, some spinning on the uphill portions, but overall amazing traction vs. my 1x1

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    I'm 5'9" with a 31.5" inseam and my medium build using a 70mm stem and 720mm bars fits perfect compared to a medium KM I sold a few years ago because it felt too long and handled like a tank. Currently I'm playing around with the stem height but recently raced on it for an 1:15 with about 30mm of steerer tube above the stem and never thought twice about it FWIW.

Best fitted mtb I have ridden EVER! I have raced on SM Salsa El Mar, 18" 1x1, typically think a 17.5" bike is my 'perfect" fit. It was also super easy to setup ghetto tubeless with just the surly rim strip and a 24" tube

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    Please delete this post. I was trying to reply to an earlier post that someone had...

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    I'm 5'8" with a 31.5" inseam and I'm riding a Medium and it fits perfect with a 70mm stem and about 30mm of the steerer tube above the stem. I also tend to ride a 17.5" bike.

DAng it why are my replies to specific post ending up here?

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Large frame - 31.4 lbs
    28 lbs running tubeless for a Medium

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    Hands down the Krampus! I kept my 18" KM a few weeks and unloded it as it rode like a boat

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm about to go for a small krampus, as the top tube measurements are very close to my 17.5" gravity. However, according to my measurements, I'm going to have just over 11" of seatpost exposed!!

I have a 400mm thomson, and there's no problem having the minimum insertion mark inside the frame, but it still seems like a ton of seatpost.

But the ett on the medium seems outrageously long.

I anticipate bending my thomson since its a wimpy 27.2, but hopefully it takes at least a year!

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

Just finished the rear wheel build. Front is laced, but need to bring it to tension and true. Getting closer.

Did green nips, silver sapim spokes, hope evo2 ss rear and evo2 front hub.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by thickfog; 02-06-2013 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    The weight of my Krampus (Large) came in at 31.5 lbs. Not surprised with that weight considering some of the parts that are on it. I'm thinking after I get a lighter seatpost and convert to tubeless I'll be right around 30 lbs.

American Made!
    Well.....some more experiments and lo and behold a Krampus with 120mm's of tasty front suspension!

Fork will be spaced to 100mm once the CTD spacer arrives.

First pix are on the Arch EX rim:
    Surly Krampus-fork.jpg

Surly Krampus-clearance.jpg

Surly Krampus-front-view.jpg

Next pix are on the Rabbit Hole Rim:

Surly Krampus-rabbit-fork.jpg

Surly Krampus-rabbit.jpg

Surly Krampus-rabbit-rim.jpg

I have done 3 solid rides on the Arch rim/Fox combo and it is a blast!! Talk about a runaway train feeling!

Rabbit Holes are laced to a Gold Hope Pro 2 hub in the front with 1/2 white spokes and 1/2 black spokes and alternating gold and green nipples
    Rear hub is a good ole DT Swiss 350 hub with same spoke and nipple pattern.
    Once it is at 100mm it should be real close to the AC measurement of the rigid fork and thus keep the uphill cornering back in control...it liked to wander with 120mm fork but it also gives it a 68 degree head angle!

No mods were done to the fork. I think its just the 15QR is a bit lower then the 9mm dropouts I tried to fit the wheel into!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How is the Krampus on sand?

Peter

Eating Hot Pockets
    Well.....some more experiments and lo and behold a Krampus with 120mm's of tasty front suspension!

Fork will be spaced to 100mm once the CTD spacer arrives.
    have you checked the clearance to the top crown with the fork compressed/bottomed?

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose View Post
    have you checked the clearance to the top crown with the fork compressed/bottomed?
    I just did.
    At absolute compression, the rubber "sag" ring 2mm from the crown, the tire hits the crown. If I compress it that much I think the tire rubbing the crown will be the least of my worries

I've pointed it down some fairly rocky/ledgy trails here in socal as well as some fun bermy and g out action and its all good. The fork "bottoms" out for me about 20mm from the crown.

With the Rabbit Hole rims and about 16 psi now the bike has excellent manners. No more tire squirm or soft feel. It's cornering ability is now just like a regular mountain bike

Not smart enough to shift
    Must be nice TP!

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hola folks!

Just a few words on my initial Krampus build...

Large Frame
    ghetto tubeless w/ 26" split tube and the provided Surly rimstrip
    12-13psi on the trails, down to 9psi in the snow
    XT front / XTR rear hubs
    XT brakes & cranks
    Thompson 50mm stem & Elite post
    Easton Havoc 750mm bars
    ChrisKing InSet7 HS (for future upgrayedd ability) & BB
    Setup SS as 32x20 (usually run 34x20 on my 29er)

Build weight: 27.5lbs

I'm ~175lbs and 32" inseam and my old SS was a 18" Kona Unit... the Krampus fits and rides like a dream!

I am definitely digging the slammed stem & wide bar combo (20mm steer spacer.) This bike's maiden voyage was SSAZ'13... a 45mi romp in the Tucson foothills and it performed awesomely. I'm almost thinking of keeping it SS this summer and tossing the Kona! Changing up the gear ratio was a smart thing due to the wheel size diff... The full rigid did get to me on the multiple waterbar section about 35mi into the ride... might have to investigate suspension options soon! The tubeless held fine, one 5psi burp on a particularly gnarly 3ft drop!

WAHOOOOOOIE!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by robothouse View Post
    Hola folks!

Just a few words on my initial Krampus build...

Large Frame
    ghetto tubeless w/ 26" split tube and the provided Surly rimstrip
    12-13psi on the trails, down to 9psi in the snow
    XT front / XTR rear hubs
    XT brakes & cranks
    Thompson 50mm stem & Elite post
    Easton Havoc 750mm bars
    ChrisKing InSet7 HS (for future upgrayedd ability) & BB
    Setup SS as 32x20 (usually run 34x20 on my 29er)

Build weight: 27.5lbs

I'm ~175lbs and 32" inseam and my old SS was a 18" Kona Unit... the Krampus fits and rides like a dream!

I am definitely digging the slammed stem & wide bar combo (20mm steer spacer.) This bike's maiden voyage was SSAZ'13... a 45mi romp in the Tucson foothills and it performed awesomely. I'm almost thinking of keeping it SS this summer and tossing the Kona! Changing up the gear ratio was a smart thing due to the wheel size diff... The full rigid did get to me on the multiple waterbar section about 35mi into the ride... might have to investigate suspension options soon! The tubeless held fine, one 5psi burp on a particularly gnarly 3ft drop!

WAHOOOOOOIE!

Nice!

I have been thinking SS soon......but having too much fun with the 1x10

American Made!
    Last pix, I promise!

This is the build with the proper rims and I am digging the half white/half black spokes!
    Tires feel much better on the wider rim, it really does rail...cannot wait to try the softer sidewall tires.

Surly Krampus-krampus-complete.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

Last pix, I promise!

This is the build with the proper rims and I am digging the half white/half black spokes!
    Tires feel much better on the wider rim, it really does rail...cannot wait to try the softer sidewall tires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krampus complete.JPG 
Views:	6629 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	769582
    Last pic? Keep em coming please!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quick question for those who built their bikes from the frame up:
    What chris king headset model did you use?
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Inset7 fits fine.

Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast