Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Mine were north of 1000 grams each and they were the 120 tpi version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Mine were north of 1000 grams each and they were the 120 tpi version.
    120tpi 4" fat bike tires are coming in around 1250g for comparison [45 North Husker Du's]
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    1st...I do not mean to step on toes about fit-this is a whole new beast. Look at the Surly website-and blog about the Krampus and its fit. The slack head angle and a big sweep bar-like the stock build....make it fit just like a regular frame. The long chainstay will keep the rear sticky up the steeps. I found I could weight the front in turns-a lot more than a regular bike as well-the tire/head angle work very well together. I think as the next few months-and more are avalible and ridden hard-we will find that Surly has it spot on forTHEIR take on the bike is. Now the rest of US-all over the world-different trails and terrain-may find other set-ups are the rad. This is the awesome part-we just have to ride the bejezzus out of our Krampus everywhere we can and keep comparing notes!
    Also-email the Surly boys-they will help you out.
    And trust me-the 1st time you get a big high speed turn under that fatty-it will be love!
    Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    I agree about keeping the notes coming. I'd like to hear from others about their initial thoughts and opinions on the Krampus. I also want to see some more pictures

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I agree about keeping the notes coming. I'd like to hear from others about their initial thoughts and opinions on the Krampus. I also want to see some more pictures
    I have not had a chance to ride mine since I built it up last Monday. I've had family visiting and couldn't get out. I finally was able to get in 25 miles of trail riding yesterday. The Knards, IMHO, soak up the chunk better than the Nates and BFL's I have on my Pugsley and Jones.

The Krampus handles exceptional well on the trails and I did not notice any flex from the rear.

I will post additional impressions once I have more saddle time.
    Last edited by Tripower; 02-03-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I have not had a chance to ride mine since I built it up last Monday. I've had family visiting and couldn't get out. I finally was able to get in 25 miles of trail riding yesterday. The Knards, IMHO, soak up the chunk better than the Nates and BFL's I have on my Pugsley and Jones.

The Krampus handles exceptional well on the trails and I did not notice any flex from the rear.

I will post additional impressions once I have more saddle time.
    Can you tell me a bit about what size you're riding and what size bike you typically ride, i.e., on a pugsley.

If you're riding the "same size" between the two bikes i.e., both are mediums, then the krampus should have a much longer ett. How do you feel about the krampus geometry in the size you got?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Can you tell me a bit about what size you're riding and what size bike you typically ride, i.e., on a pugsley.

If you're riding the "same size" between the two bikes i.e., both are mediums, then the krampus should have a much longer ett. How do you feel about the krampus geometry in the size you got?
    My Pugsley is a 20" and the Krampus is a large. The Pugsley and the Krampus fit me perfectly. I am 6' with 34" inseam.

So far, the Krampus geometry is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Surly Krampus-krampus1.jpg

Here's mine. I've only ridden it on the road so far, as we're deep into mud season here. I could do some snow riding but by the time I got everything put together it was too slushy out.

It's set up as a 1x10 11-36 with XT shifter and derailleur, X.0 crankset and a 28T MRP Bling Ring. No chain guide yet. I have a MRP 1x available but it looks like it might not work with the 28T ring. I thought I'd see if it works without it. Thoughts?

Rest of the build:

Hubs: DT 350 rear, Hope front
    Seatpost: Salsa, not sure which one.
    Saddle: WTB Devo
    Brakes: an older XTR model, IS mount. I had a hard time getting these to fit right, but I think it's going to work out. 180mm rotors.
    Pedals: XT
    Handlebar: Easton Havoc 750mm
    Stem: 60mm Syntace
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: some beat up ODI SS grips, to be replaced with ESI

Haven't weighed it but it seems light for what it is. I was surprised at how quick it felt on the road. I chose the 28 x 11-36 setup because this is slated to be my high altitude singletrack and jeep road bike, but I really wanted to go 1x10. Hopefully this will give me enough range.

American Made!
    Heres mine.

Surly Krampus-front.jpg

Surly Krampus-side-1.jpg

Surly Krampus-back.jpg

]Surly Krampus-tire.jpg

Been on it almost everyday for week.

Size large. Been running 16 psi here in socal without to much trouble.

Been going up whatever is in the way and going down everything I take my FS 29er down..it is scary how much speed this beast carries and once it is up to speed on flow and uphill it feels no different then any other rig I have owned....except its off camber grip is ridiculous lol!

26 1/2 lbs with the I9/Arch EX hoops, almost 28 lbs with the X Fusion dropper post.

1x10 XTR/XO drivetrain 34 front- 11-36 XX rear cassette, XTR brakes, Whiskey Handlebar, King Headset, Thomson Masterpiece post/X Fusion HiLo post and 60mm thomson stem.

I was not expecting to like this bike this much.....

Anyone run "regular" 29 tubes in a rim set up like this? I am currently using the recommended Surly 29 tube.

Thanks!
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krampus1.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	768127

No chain guide yet. I have a MRP 1x available but it looks like it might not work with the 28T ring. I thought I'd see if it works without it. Thoughts?
    I've been running the bling ring on my Jones with no chain guide for many months. No chain drops. But I use a short cage der. with the clutch system, so not a lot a flopping around. Plus, my local trails don't put me in situations where the bike is rattling and bouncing around underneath me a ton. So I don't recommend what I'm doing. Just saying it's been working for me. I've had people recommend I use some tape on the frame in bb area just in case.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I've been running the bling ring on my Jones with no chain guide for many months. No chain drops. But I use a short cage der. with the clutch system, so not a lot a flopping around. Plus, my local trails don't put me in situations where the bike is rattling and bouncing around underneath me a ton. So I don't recommend what I'm doing. Just saying it's been working for me. I've had people recommend I use some tape on the frame in bb area just in case.
    The lizard skin headset protectors work very well on the bb shell to protect chain drop. I've also cut portions of the jumbo chainstay protectors. These can be easier than trying to get tape on the bb shell.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post

Anyone run "regular" 29 tubes in a rim set up like this? I am currently using the recommended Surly 29 tube.

Thanks!
    Why the heck are you running TUBES with Arch EX rims??? Sorry maybe I'm not understanding something here. Stans didn't create Bead Socket Technology rims to run over-weight rubber doohickies that can pop when pressure is run too low.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Here's mine. I've only ridden it on the road so far, as we're deep into mud season here. I could do some snow riding but by the time I got everything put together it was too slushy out.

Dude! Is that white stuff in the background snow? I'd be riding the piss out of that thing before the temps in the morning hit 32! Just saying..

mtbr member
    For all of you who have ridden the Krampus and Karate Monkey, which has been your preference. I am planning on building up a second 29er as a do it all bike. I will commute, train on singletrack, do long gravel grinders, and follow stupid DH guys down rooty/rocky trails on this bike.

My plan is either a Krampus with 120mm fork and normal wheels or a Karate Monkey with a 100mm fork.

Thanks for you help. Any suggestion or comments are more than welcome at this point.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Why the heck are you running TUBES with Arch EX rims??? Sorry maybe I'm not understanding something here. Stans didn't create Bead Socket Technology rims to run over-weight rubber doohickies that can pop when pressure is run too low.
    Yeah, ditch the tubes.

Btw, any more pics where we can see the tire bulge amount? I'm interested in running arch or p35s someday.

mtbr member
    Encountered my first Krampus on the trail today today. A couple inches of fresh snow. I asked him, '"How is the Krampus?" He replied, "It ain't no fatbike!" Both he and his friend were pretty loose in the snow. My friend (Necromancer) and I (Beargrease) were doing just fine. I still want one, but maybe it's not the all-in-one I was hoping for. I say again...I still want one. That is a beautiful frame and the upcoming Surly build is the best excuse I've seen to replace my 1989 Panasonic MC-7500 mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1x1clyde, what's width/height of Knarly mounted on ArchEX, please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dude! Is that white stuff in the background snow? I'd be riding the piss out of that thing before the temps in the morning hit 32! Just saying..
    I didn't finish building it until late yesterday. I'll definitely hit some snow in the morning later this week.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Thanks!
    I haven't see the Knard tires or 29x3" tubes in person, but I got to believe regular 29er tubes would work. I've heard of people regularly running regular 26er tubes in 26x4" fat tires.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    I haven't see the Knard tires or 29x3" tubes in person, but I got to believe regular 29er tubes would work. I've heard of people regularly running regular 26er tubes in 26x4" fat tires.
    True, but most of us run downhill 26 tubes in the fat bikes. Just find a decently thick 29er tube, not a superlight tube.

American Made!
    Honestly I am a bit scared of rolling this steel belted beast of a tire off even with the Stans Bead Socket Technology...it would be painful lol!

I thought at least regular 29 tubes should hold up fine in regards to the Surly tube.
    Plus, I'd feel safer running this tire tubeless on a Flow EX rim, I just had these wheels already so I went for it!

The 21mm ID from the Arch EX to the 25.5mm ID with the Flow EX should be a better grip

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    1x1clyde, what's width/height of Knarly mounted on ArchEX, please?
    The width- from the casing, not the side knobs- is 69mm and the height is 66mm.

One Colorful Rider
    The Finish of The Build
    Krampus 03

The First Ride The Next Morning
    Getting Started

THIS BIKE KICKS ASS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjkyhl View Post
    Encountered my first Krampus on the trail today today. A couple inches of fresh snow. I asked him, '"How is the Krampus?" He replied, "It ain't no fatbike!" Both he and his friend were pretty loose in the snow. My friend (Necromancer) and I (Beargrease) were doing just fine. I still want one, but maybe it's not the all-in-one I was hoping for. I say again...I still want one. That is a beautiful frame and the upcoming Surly build is the best excuse I've seen to replace my 1989 Panasonic MC-7500 mountain bike.
    Can't speak for others but I never thought for a minute this would make a good snow bike. I see it as an fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Normbilt View Post

THIS BIKE KICKS ASS
    Love the x-mas theme!

Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast