Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Diameter should rise up to around 30 mm - it will rise the front about 15 mm and will be also 15 mm in the fork.

This makes it very interesting as a front tire for a Karate Monkey. Rising the front should make the steering angle about one degree slacker so it would run a little more stable on decents.

Because also the seat tube is a little more slacker I would use a seatpost without setback an the body centre is moved to the previous position for still good climbing.

BTW: On the Krampus pics there is much room between the tire and the seatpost - so it must have very long chainstays and should not have this quick steering like a Karate Monkey.

We will see, when the frame geometry charts are published...
    Yeah, a well-fitted KM with 29+ front wheel would turn into a bit of a dual-slalom type of bike that will still climb well. Or one could make the bike fit that much more easily with a drop bar setup. I would like to suggest trying a 47mm On-One or Redline Flight fork on the KM, to compensate for the slackening of the head tube angle, (although the redline is a longer fork in itself, hmmm) and make the KM (or other 72 HTA 29"er) a bit more like the Redline Flight or, ultimately, Genesis 2.
    If suspension forks can be found to clear the brace, just reduce travel to prevent bottoming and you're set.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I am absolutely in love with this new bike and may just pull the trigger on one. I really wish Surly came out with a 650B monster, though.
    Surly doesn't need to do the "yeah me too" stuff like 650B, they made their own new genre. Again.

Besides, the Troll fits 650B easily doesn't it?
    Last edited by JAGI410; 07-22-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Surly doesn't need to do the "yeah me too" stuff like 650B, they made their own new genre. Again.
    Indeed. Let's not forget the Karate Monkey is the first 29" Singlespeed, the KM fork the first rigid one to fit 80mm corrected, and the frameset the first on the market in all of 29", if the Supercal 29 with Marz doesn't count. That was crazy expensive, BTW, the KM a steal.

If riding 26x3 Gazzalodis already made sense to some people, how about a 29+ tire half the weight?

Will someone beef the tire up with a layer of kevlar or whatever and build a (relative) short travel DH bike around it? Some DH forks are bound to fit it already.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    I'm just happy that the tyre will fit in my Salsa CroMoto Grande fork.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very cool idea, half way to a Fatty, Been thinking about a Fat tired bike but this has peaked my interest.

Beer Me!
    Surly deserves respect for being a brand to just make bikes that are freeking fun, regardless of trends. All I hear these days is "650B this and 650B that" and they come out with something different and interesting. As a proud Karate Monkey owner for 8 years, I have faith that this bike will be a blast!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Recovering couch patato
    Once a few of those Krampi are wandering our Earth...
    Especially if they become one-and-only bikes for folks, or maybe only bike to take on a trip...

What about a road rim/tire standard to complement the 29+ bike? Regular 29" slicks would drop the BB. Maybe not such an issue on the road, but even a 2.35" Supermoto already drops it like one inch, certainly when using 50mm rim, if that works at all for 2.35's.

Enter: 32minus tires. Not quite 32" as one would expect.
    32" is the standard I've been proposing for quite a few years now. Probably since around the time I proposed 29x3.0 (shortly after I learned of Surly's shocking Pugsley 26x3.7 project)

29+3" (a sound full size increment, nothing half-azzed) makes for 698mm bead seat diameter. Rim outer diameter 711mm.
    Make the first batch of rims them 27mm wide, to work with both modest (up to 2.4") knobby tires, AND 35mm or so slicks to be used in 29+ bikes as road wheels. 36 spokes, of course. I prefer more actually.
    Now 711mm is dead-on 28 inches. Yes, 700c/622/29" rims are 25" when you put the ruler to them.
    Add some 2.5" for the 35mm slick tires, and you get 30.5" just like 29+. If you need only 23mm rims and 28mm tires, more power to you. It will be quite light and the BB height will still work out for the type of riding (asphalt) you'd typically enjoy with it.
    Imagine a bike that fits you perfectly like a favorite MTB, which has road wheels which are significantly bigger than a typical 700c setup. As are your 29+ trail wheels. If the bike has the tire clearnance, you could even take it a step further, with 2.1" knobbies to make for 32" in diameter. Only .75" taller for your BB over 29+.

Remember 26x2.1" WTB nanoraptors, and the difference +10% made to arrive at 1999 29x2.1" Nanoraptors? That was huge.
    Now, add ANOTHER 10%. Yes, it works out that way nearly to the third digit. Imagine that. The feel of that not-so-special Nano, as it was in 26", as it improved for 29", and then increased 10% once more. Then imagine your favorite 2.1" tire. Maybe a Conti Twister, maybe a soft compound Schwalbe Jimmy, maybe still that smooth rolling Nano.
    And it just MIGHT fit your krampus bike, if surly is as generous as usual with tire spacing. Main concerns are seat tube, BB yoke and seat stay bridge. Fork is fine.

Seriously, think about it. 32" is getting closer and closer in terms of our everyday riding reality.
    For Surly, I am sure one day it will be a dedicated model. It may be a half inch taller or smaller than I propose that time around. But if Krampus doesn't fit 32" and 32-, then soon one of its offspring will.
    And making that rim and tire will be much easier than the Rabbit Hole/Knard combo. Don't underestimate the work this must have cost Surly. They likely took all their knowledge and balls, and still lost baths of sweat of this project. They once told me how hard it was to do the Pugsley, technically and financially. What they did here is huge, but 32" is now a piece of cake in comparison.

Your crampus bike and wheel sets:
    29+ main wheelset for trail use, whatever that means to you
    32- semi-skinny or real skinny road slicks to ride with the missus, or frustrate the local roadie peloton.
    32" traditional 2.1" knobbies. Not looking for volume or mad grip, just something to make a dull trail a challenge, and still get nice flow and float. 32" will likely do better on the beach than 26x3.0 Gazzas.

A 30-35mm 32" rim and suited off-road tires 2.0-2.5" is the next step, and is at least as worthy as a stand alone project as is Krampus. Pick your favorite 29" rubber and setups, and extrapolate that 10% bigger. Yes, size L frames and up, it will not be easy to fit an M rider, sorry.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Single Speed Junkie
    I recall a several years back during frostbike riding my 26er and trying a 29er for the first time. A good friend brought it to the show and I was able to try it out in the snow. It had so much more float over the 26 conti explorer pro wide 2.1" tire I was using (yep I just dated my self a bit). Then this really funky bike showed up. Welds were not all that clean and it was just raw steel that looked as if it was finished the night prior. Thing was rolling 36" tires that we played in QBP parking lot that day. Kept bashing it into curbs, with the snow and large tire diameter it felt as if we could roll over anything. Next year or year after the Pug was introduced. I was lucky enough to be able to grab my friends 29er trying to follow them on the trails. As long as you kept moving on the 29er you were good. Stop and you sink right thru the crust. The pugs kept on moving.

Blending the two a 29er and wider tire like the pug I am really excited seeing how it will ride. Now if I could order one with 16" Chain Stays keeping the wide tire and side wall with a narrow BB that would be ideal. Although I think it would violate one of the basic laws of physics.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    Once a few of those Krampi are wandering our Earth...
    Especially if they become one-and-only bikes for folks, or maybe only bike to take on a trip...

What about a road rim/tire standard to complement the 29+ bike? Regular 29" slicks would drop the BB. Maybe not such an issue on the road, but even a 2.35" Supermoto already drops it like one inch, certainly when using 50mm rim, if that works at all for 2.35's.

Enter: 32minus tires. Not quite 32" as one would expect.
    32" is the standard I've been proposing for quite a few years now. Probably since around the time I proposed 29x3.0 (shortly after I learned of Surly's shocking Pugsley 26x3.7 project)

29+3" (a sound full size increment, nothing half-azzed) makes for 698mm bead seat diameter. Rim outer diameter 711mm.
    Make the first batch of rims them 27mm wide, to work with both modest (up to 2.4") knobby tires, AND 35mm or so slicks to be used in 29+ bikes as road wheels. 36 spokes, of course. I prefer more actually.
    Now 711mm is dead-on 28 inches. Yes, 700c/622/29" rims are 25" when you put the ruler to them.
    Add some 2.5" for the 35mm slick tires, and you get 30.5" just like 29+. If you need only 23mm rims and 28mm tires, more power to you. It will be quite light and the BB height will still work out for the type of riding (asphalt) you'd typically enjoy with it.
    Imagine a bike that fits you perfectly like a favorite MTB, which has road wheels which are significantly bigger than a typical 700c setup. As are your 29+ trail wheels. If the bike has the tire clearnance, you could even take it a step further, with 2.1" knobbies to make for 32" in diameter. Only .75" taller for your BB over 29+.

Remember 26x2.1" WTB nanoraptors, and the difference +10% made to arrive at 1999 29x2.1" Nanoraptors? That was huge.
    Now, add ANOTHER 10%. Yes, it works out that way nearly to the third digit. Imagine that. The feel of that not-so-special Nano, as it was in 26", as it improved for 29", and then increased 10% once more. Then imagine your favorite 2.1" tire. Maybe a Conti Twister, maybe a soft compound Schwalbe Jimmy, maybe still that smooth rolling Nano.
    And it just MIGHT fit your krampus bike, if surly is as generous as usual with tire spacing. Main concerns are seat tube, BB yoke and seat stay bridge. Fork is fine.

Seriously, think about it. 32" is getting closer and closer in terms of our everyday riding reality.
    For Surly, I am sure one day it will be a dedicated model. It may be a half inch taller or smaller than I propose that time around. But if Krampus doesn't fit 32" and 32-, then soon one of its offspring will.
    And making that rim and tire will be much easier than the Rabbit Hole/Knard combo. Don't underestimate the work this must have cost Surly. They likely took all their knowledge and balls, and still lost baths of sweat of this project. They once told me how hard it was to do the Pugsley, technically and financially. What they did here is huge, but 32" is now a piece of cake in comparison.

Your crampus bike and wheel sets:
    29+ main wheelset for trail use, whatever that means to you
    32- semi-skinny or real skinny road slicks to ride with the missus, or frustrate the local roadie peloton.
    32" traditional 2.1" knobbies. Not looking for volume or mad grip, just something to make a dull trail a challenge, and still get nice flow and float. 32" will likely do better on the beach than 26x3.0 Gazzas.

A 30-35mm 32" rim and suited off-road tires 2.0-2.5" is the next step, and is at least as worthy as a stand alone project as is Krampus. Pick your favorite 29" rubber and setups, and extrapolate that 10% bigger. Yes, size L frames and up, it will not be easy to fit an M rider, sorry.
    This is an excellent post and lot of thinking on your part...
    ...I commend you, very interesting reading!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    This is an excellent post and lot of thinking on your part...
    ...I commend you, very interesting reading!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts!
    Don't flatter me, it'll cost you rep points.
    I am a poor man, otherwise I'd have launched 32" just to be able to ride it myself. And 29+ all the same.
    If you are not really short, there is some fun or even advantage to be had with 32".
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

swag ho Administrator
    There's a bunch of photos here.

New Surly Krampus (Not a 29er, Not a Fat Bike – 29+) | Mountain Bike Review

Our very own photo-john rode it and he's still giddy.

fc

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

New Surly Krampus (Not a 29er, Not a Fat Bike 29+) | Mountain Bike Review

fc

The heck with John, ship it to me.

jl
    climb
    Time to start a new forum... I'll log in tomorrow to see where this thread ends up.
    Last edited by jl; 07-24-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I built a 29er (170mm hub) rear wheel for my Mukluk. I run a Specialized Control 29X2.3 in back and a Surly 4.9 BFL in the front. With my other modifications, this half fat hybrid weighs 28.3 lbs in XL size. I'm hoping the Kanard fits in the rear of the mukluk frame (it might not). If it does, it would be the ultimate set up for most rides I do.
    Paul...Palm Springs, CA

mtbr member
    We all can speculate about this and that. Let's all ride the beast and make a honest assessment of the bikes capabilities on the trail.

I do commend Surly for have the balls to create another unique bike.

MTB B'dos
    Most definitely sign me up for at least one of these Knard tyres when they're available, most definitely want one to put on the front of the KM with 2.55" WW LT outback
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR
    he Knard 293 weighs in at 820 grams and is available in 120tpi folding
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think the Knard will fit in the p-35 rim but id worry it blows off the rim at the wrong time (technically there is no right time for a tire to roll off the rim )

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I will contact Surly to see what they say about the Knard on a Karate Monkey.

This is going to be much better than adding a 490mm fork. I had a 490mm and ended up sticking with the KM fork. I think I will be trying the 29er+ setup myself. Right now I am running tubeless WWs.

Dinner for wolves
    I'd love to know if the Knard/Rabbit Hole combo would fit a Salsa Enabler fork. I am guessing yes. Much respect to the Surly for repeatedly making enormous contributions to cycling culture.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I'd love to know if the Knard/Rabbit Hole combo would fit a Salsa Enabler fork. I am guessing yes. Much respect to the Surly for repeatedly making enormous contributions to cycling culture.
    I thought the front was going to be 100mm spacing. Isn't the Enabler 135mm? Would you just lace the RH rim to a 135 hub?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I run a carver carbon fork on my Mukluk. It's basically the same size as the Salsa enabler. There is lots of room with a standard 29er rim and a 2.4 tire (about 2.5 inches to the side of the crown). This tire is bigger but it can't be more than an inch taller than a standard 29er.

Now all we need is a suspension fork!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Bummer, not arriving until March. At least I have plenty of time to pile up my pennies for the purchase.

One of the hottest bikes at QBPs SaddleDrive event is the new Krampus. A 29er fat bike with 3 inch tires. Complete bikes will be available around March with an MSRP of $1950.
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

New Surly Krampus (Not a 29er, Not a Fat Bike 29+) | Mountain Bike Review

fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by messofzero View Post
    Another picture from Facebook:

I want, but don't know why I want.
    I have no use for a bike like this. I ride on pavement or gravel. Really this bike has no practical appeal for me.

I still want one.

Here's why:

I built up a Surly Ogre over the winter. I built it up as an urban bike, and as I did parts selection I specifically chose parts that wouldn't break over parts that were high performance. My motto was "I'm not building a bike that goes AROUND things. I'm building a bike that goes OVER or THROUGH things.". It's an awesome bike. This bike is my ogre, turned up to 11.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I thought the front was going to be 100mm spacing. Isn't the Enabler 135mm? Would you just lace the RH rim to a 135 hub?
    The front of the Krampus, i.e. its fork, will be 100mm. The Salsa Enabler is 135mm. The Knard is a tire. THe Rabbit Hole is a rim. The tire and rim can be built onto any size hub you want. I realize this thread is about the Krampus. But the Knard begat the Krampus.

By the way, WTF is a Knard?
    Responds to gravity

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    By the way, WTF is a Knard?
    One of the two things in your sack.

Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast