Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 104 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2723

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So normally I can't ride a skinny if my life depended on it. I ride a curb at the local park just for practice and always fall off it. On my Krampus I can ride the curb end to end about 90% of the time. Plus track stands are much easier.
    Is that due to the relaxed geometry of the Krampus or is it just the wide tires?

mtbr member
    I've been on my Dually wheelset for a few months now, looking to sell off my complete Rabbit Hole wheelset. I've tried to sell locally with little interest. Figured I'd try here next, PM for details!

mtbr member

Just noticed the fabled Dirt Wizard 29+ tire is being listed as a 3.0" instead of a 2.75".

Not that it matters much until you can actually buy one...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Why would someone prefer Duallies to Rabbit Holes (or vice versa) and why would someone prefer Dirt Wizards to Knards (or vice versa)?

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by the other Anne View Post
    Why would someone prefer Duallies to Rabbit Holes (or vice versa) and why would someone prefer Dirt Wizards to Knards (or vice versa)?
    In my case, I went with a non-marked Northpaw for weight instead of the Rabbit Hole and I've also got a Dually which is even lighter, not to mention far, far easier to set up tubeless which gives me a better ride and is yet again lighter.

As far as another tire than the Knard... the Knards wear surprisingly fast, especially when bikepacking and are way sketchy in even the slightest bit of mud. It'd be nice to have options in any case.

meh... whatever

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I've been on my Dually wheelset for a few months now, looking to sell off my complete Rabbit Hole wheelset. I've tried to sell locally with little interest. Figured I'd try here next, PM for details!
    what's the real world, seat of the pants difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Duallies are lighter without cutouts, makes for easier toobless conversions and they're twin walled instead of single walled, which to my mind makes for a stronger rim.

Dirt wizards are knobbies. Knards are kind of semi slicks. Knards are fair tires for "go forward" traction, but really drop off when it comes to braking and cornering. They're not a bad all around tire, but I think this bike is going to be much more capable with a good set of knobbies, which is really saying a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I rode my Krampus for a year with the stock wheel set setup - I decided to invest more recently as I am loving the bike so far.

Upgraded after 1yr to Duallys - Tubeless with 27TPI Knards

IMO - The bike is FAR more nimble while turning, ramping speed, and getting air. Noticeable immediately after cutting the weight of the Tubes and Rabbit Hole rims.

I am testing tubeless with the 27TPI now, and going to try out the even lighter 127TPI soon. My main concern is with rigidity versus weight. I am extremely happy with the weight and durability ratio now.

To answer your Knard vs Dirt Wizard question - Dirt Wizards have better traction on dirt. Knards good traction on dirt but I can still ride it 30 miles down a paved bike path no problem. Personally I don't think Dirt Wizards would be comfortable on faster longer rides, or as a commuter tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-rsz_img_0536.jpg  

Surly Krampus-rsz_img_0347.jpg  

mtbr member
    But if you go with Duallys you cannot do cool things with your rim strip!

Surly Krampus-rabbit.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    I've also got a Dually which is even lighter, not to mention far, far easier to set up tubeless which gives me a better ride and is yet again lighter.
    Interesting my two friends with Dually's found them problematic to setup tubeless.

Anyone setup Knards tubeless on the new hookless carbon rims from LB and similar companies? How did they work?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Chasing my Krampus up sunday river

what a blast. really fast, sometimes scary. ran out of talent a couple of times, but that is half the fun. this thing is more fun evry time i ride it. even for an old fat guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_20140824_142020_115-1.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_20140824_142804_299.jpg  

AOK
    mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Joining the club. Build will probably take a while. I'm not in a hurry as I am currently nursing a broken hand from a bad crash a few weeks back.

Now that my fleet includes a Banshee and a Krampus, I am a little scared to go down into the basement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    what a blast. really fast, sometimes scary. ran out of talent a couple of times, but that is half the fun. this thing is more fun evry time i ride it. even for an old fat guy
    you are a brave man

mtbr member
    i set up 120 tpi knards a while ago on rabbit holes ghetto tubeless with absolutely no hardship. i used conti 26" light tubes (the cores are removable and the rubber is thin, so it ends up being about 75g or so iirc once they are trimmed (i kept the rim strip from surly, but no tape), then used 60ml revo sealant and they set up pop pop with a track pump. no issues since (months/hundreds miles).

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    AOK, can you weigh your frame? Or anyone in the know, what is the weight of the large frame only?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    AOK, can you weigh your frame? Or anyone in the know, what is the weight of the large frame only?
    Bare frame (large) + seat clamp = 2810 grams / 6.19 lbs

Stock fork (uncut steerer) was 1150 grams / 2.54 lbs

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Much appreciated.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hugecgar View Post
    IMO - The bike is FAR more nimble while turning, ramping speed, and getting air. Noticeable immediately after cutting the weight of the Tubes and Rabbit Hole rims.
    Umm, the rabbit hole rims seem to only be 24 grams lighter per rim. That's 0.1 lbs for two rims on a bike.
    Wheels | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    Velocity Wheels

You said stock setup, so does that mean you were running the 3" tubes? If you so, you probably could get near the same weight savings by just ditching them for regular 29er tubes.

mtbr member
    I need a new headset lower cup for my Krampus as I want to install a tapered suspension fork in place of the stock rigid 1 1/8" fork.

Is the Cane Creek 40 bottom traditional EC44/40 1.5" cup the correct one?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That should be the right bottom cups, but if the cups are ok you can just get the crown race. the bearings are the same. You can interchange the forks with different steerer sizes because the bearing surface on the 1 1/8 crown race is spread toward the outside to be in the same place as the 1 1/2. does that make sense? it works well.
    Crown race is around $10. bottom cups almost $40.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    That should be the right bottom cups, but if the cups are ok you can just get the crown race. the bearings are the same. You can interchange the forks with different steerer sizes because the bearing surface on the 1 1/8 crown race is spread toward the outside to be in the same place as the 1 1/2. does that make sense? it works well.
    Crown race is around $10. bottom cups almost $40.
    Thanks.

I built my Krampus from the frame up and I used a different headset so I do need the new lower cup, but good point on being able to use the stock fork with a larger crown race.

I'm not 100% if I'll go back to rigid, but it's good to have an easy option.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Loving my new krampus ops. I've got over 100 miles on it in a couple of weeks riding. We have had a lot of rain lately, the trails are getting rutty rocky and the sand is washing into the low spots. perfect for the big meats. I'm surprised how well it climbs, I'm 62 years old but had no trouble climbing over 4500 ' on it. Didn't seem any heavier than my 29er. Must be that "New Bike"thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Re: Surly Krampus

Thinking about putting a moonlander fork/holy rolling darryl/4" tire up front on my krampus to get some winter riding in some snow this winter. Looking like $600 project. 2 questions: worth it? & how bad will the 1.5" drop in the front end due to diameter diff + squishier tire affect handling? Anyone done something similar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogar73 View Post
    Thinking about putting a moonlander fork/holy rolling darryl/4" tire up front on my krampus to get some winter riding in some snow this winter. Looking like $600 project. 2 questions: worth it? & how bad will the 1.5" drop in the front end due to diameter diff + squishier tire affect handling? Anyone done something similar?
    A ML fork is 1.4" shorter than a Krampus fork and the smaller diameter tire will make for a much steeper front end.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Re: Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A ML fork is 1.4" shorter than a Krampus fork and the smaller diameter tire will make for a much steeper front end.
    Yeah that drop is going to make it pretty brutal. Are we talking a drop of almost 3" overall including ml fork + tire diameter decrease? Sounds like a no go. Anyone have a pug for sale for $700 or less?