Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2728

Thread: Surly Krampus

  1. #2626
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shrouded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18

    Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Don't forget the fork. I think I dropped close to a pound with the White Brothers/MRP fork, and while it's far from the lightest on the market you can often get them for a great price. It rides really well.
    The White Bros fork is great. I took it off to put the Lefty on this week because I'm doing progressively more aggressive stuff with friends. If I hadn't stumbled on a good deal on the Lefty I would have stuck with the White Bros & been happy.

    By the way, if anyone wants a White Bros fork that will hold a Rabbit Hole & Knard, let me know.

  2. #2627
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,169
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Don't forget the fork. I think I dropped close to a pound with the White Brothers/MRP fork, and while it's far from the lightest on the market you can often get them for a great price. It rides really well.
    Good point.

    I'm headed for a suspension fork so I didn't think I'd save any weight there vs. a 2.5lb stock Krampus fork.

    For touring use I'm not interested in a rigid carbon fork when I go rigid. I beat up on my rig too much to feel good about that.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  3. #2628
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    59

    Re: Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by shrouded View Post
    The White Bros fork is great. I took it off to put the Lefty on this week because I'm doing progressively more aggressive stuff with friends. If I hadn't stumbled on a good deal on the Lefty I would have stuck with the White Bros & been happy.

    By the way, if anyone wants a White Bros fork that will hold a Rabbit Hole & Knard, let me know.
    What kind of riding are you doing that the white bros. fork won't handle? I want to go to a carbon fork to have a little give up front and lighten it up a little. Might have a buyer here....

  4. #2629
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shrouded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18

    Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by boogar73 View Post
    What kind of riding are you doing that the white bros. fork won't handle? I want to go to a carbon fork to have a little give up front and lighten it up a little. Might have a buyer here....
    Oh, the White Bros fork handles everything. I'm clearly the limiting factor, not the bike. Yesterday I tried what I'm told are the rockiest steep descents in my area, on my first ride with the Lefty. With the rigid fork I would have needed a lot more skill in picking lines; I'm not sure I'm there yet. With 100mm of travel + knards I was able to barrel through more. A friend test ride it and said it was cheating.

    I do still like the White Bros vs stock.

  5. #2630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    59

    Re: Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by shrouded View Post
    Oh, the White Bros fork handles everything. I'm clearly the limiting factor, not the bike. Yesterday I tried what I'm told are the rockiest steep descents in my area, on my first ride with the Lefty. With the rigid fork I would have needed a lot more skill in picking lines; I'm not sure I'm there yet. With 100mm of travel + knards I was able to barrel through more. A friend test ride it and said it was cheating.

    I do still like the White Bros vs stock.
    I dont think it is cheating, haha. Ride what you like or suits your level. Srs about selling that fork?

  6. #2631
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    157
    Ah, for some reason I thought you were committed to rigid. I have a suspension fork on mine now too, but I'm keeping the WB fork in case I end up doing a long mostly-road ride on the Krampus.

  7. #2632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by shrouded View Post
    I was wondering how much proper tubeless on a lighter rim like the Stan's Hope would be.

    Any guesses how much weight the same frame geometry in Ti would save?

    Let's be honest, though... I just need to get stronger.
    cranks are going to save some weight...pedals...120tpi knards vs. 27...lighter tubes or tubeless...carbon post, lighter saddle...it's going to be little things, piece by piece to get it down.

    I'm not sure how much mine weighs...it's definitely bad though, cost nor weight wise. I'm running mostly XT, duallies, king hub, midweight components, stock fork, 120tpi tires and standard tubes. I'd think by getting rid of the cheap stuff, you'll get down quickly.

  8. #2633
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CCSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    199
    Get rid of the pesky geared drivetrain. You'll save some weight and then get stronger. It's a virtuous cycle!

  9. #2634
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Get rid of the pesky geared drivetrain. You'll save some weight and then get stronger. It's a virtuous cycle!
    +1
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  10. #2635
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,169
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Get rid of the pesky geared drivetrain. You'll save some weight and then get stronger. It's a virtuous cycle!
    My thought with building up a 2nd wheel set was to use Hope hubs that could be run with a 1x derailleur or SS and the original wheel set I have is IGH so I'd have lots of choice.

    On my recent tour the climbs were mostly hike-a-bike and the descents were steep hang on for dear life affairs so I really only needed a level/rolling terrain gear. SS would have worked just fine.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  11. #2636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    18
    I play soccer twice a week and try to ride 3 times a week. I'm in decent shape. Normally I really only use 2 or 3 gears when riding trails here in Ohio and could probably get away with single speed.
    However I just got back form a trip to Oregon and I don't see how anyone could ride some of those trails with a SS. Not just on the ridiculous climbs to get to some of the trail heads (which is why I'm glad I added a 42T before I left), but on the trails I couldn't fathom how one gear could be useful. I'd think you'd be working way too hard either free spinning or grinding away most of the time. But...I've never ridden SS so what do I know? I suppose like anything else you would get used to it if you did it all the time.
    As much as I love my ridgid Krampus I missed suspension at times. I made it out alive, but would have been able to run through many sections much faster with a front shock. Going ridgid does keep you honest on picking your lines though.
    I do have 2 wheelsets: one Rabbit Hole / Knard / ultralight tubes and one Stans / Hope / Schwalbe 29*2.35 tubeless. Love the flexibility of being able to swap them out in seconds for different conditions. Off the top of my head I think the Stans set saves me almost 2 pounds. I'll be going tubeless on the Knards too when I get around to it.
    My L Krampus stock was almost 34 pounds. Now with the Stans it's 26 something pounds and under 29 with the Knards. Just the lighter tubes on the Knards offer substantial weight savings.
    Other than wheels saved a ton of weight with carbon fork, seatpost and bars (although I'm only 160 pounds and keep it mellow when bikepacking). Lesser savings, but cumulatively relevant from lighter cranks, saddle, stem, chain, etc... It all adds up (or down, I guess).

  12. #2637
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shrouded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18

    Surly Krampus

    I'm with kdb71 on the SS option. I'm already having to hike-a-bike on some trails with 32x42 here. SS would kill me.

  13. #2638
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,169
    Quote Originally Posted by shrouded View Post
    I'm with kdb71 on the SS option. I'm already having to hike-a-bike on some trails with 32x42 here. SS would kill me.
    Personally I wouldn't SS it all the time, but on the trip I just completed most of the climbs were HAB anyways so it didn't matter what your low gear was and I don't need to pedal on steep descents so that just leaves/flattish rolling terrain.

    If you build up a rear wheel with a normal hub you can run it SS with spacers or and a 1x dérailleur setup with minimal hassles depending on what the riding at hand was.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #2639
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Sorry for what is probably a duh type of question but I'm looking to swap out my bars on the Krampus for an alt bar to be determined. What clamp size do I need? 25.4 or 31.8?

    I did look at my spec sheet but couldn't locate that piece of info.
    thanks in advance!

  15. #2640
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    31,8

  16. #2641
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    33
    So, for you XL riders, what length stem are you running? I am getting ready to make some upgrades, I am 6'5" and have a 0 degree 90mm on it but I am thinking I might try a shorter version, maybe 70? Thanks!

  17. #2642
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for that info!

  18. #2643
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    59

    Re: Surly Krampus

    Quote Originally Posted by Truman#1 View Post
    Sorry for what is probably a duh type of question but I'm looking to swap out my bars on the Krampus for an alt bar to be determined. What clamp size do I need? 25.4 or 31.8?

    I did look at my spec sheet but couldn't locate that piece of info.
    thanks in advance!
    See surly website for krampus complete parts spec. Non-conformist is correct.

  19. #2644
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    125
    My stock krampus came with a salsa bar that uses 31.8. However, most alt bars use the older standard 25.4. You might have to swap out stems too, not a big problem.
    biker boy

  20. #2645
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,721
    Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29x3.0" tires are now available. Has anybody picked up a set yet? I'd love to see some real-world pics and experience.

  21. #2646
    Chairman of the Beard
    Reputation: hirschmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29x3.0" tires are now available. Has anybody picked up a set yet? I'd love to see some real-world pics and experience.
    Mounted one up, at first it looked like it cleared in my Fox 32 RLC, but it stretched overnight and looks about identical in size to the Knard. I don't have a RH/Knard set up at the moment for comparisons, but here's what I got on the caliper:

    OK, ignore this part now. I took new readings:
    Trax Fatty/RH combo - 2.98" wide, 3.40" from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire - rubs the arch of the fork the same way the Knard did.
    Minion 2.5/RH combo - 2.59" wide, 2.97" from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire


    The Vee has to go back to the store for now, if it don't clear the fork I ain't riding it. Waiting for my Hugo wheelset to arrive before I make any final decisions on which fork to stick with and whether to dremel.

    Let some air out, it shrunk maybe a sixteenth or so, but still not quite clearing anything.
    Last edited by hirschmj; 08-06-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

  22. #2647
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you build up a rear wheel with a normal hub you can run it SS with spacers or and a 1x dérailleur setup with minimal hassles depending on what the riding at hand was.
    yup. i run an avid matchmaker and full length housing on my 1x10, and have two separate chains. allows conversion of my ops from geared to ss in under 15 minutes.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  23. #2648
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29x3.0" tires are now available. Has anybody picked up a set yet? I'd love to see some real-world pics and experience.
    I'm interested, too. At $90/tire they better be at least as good as the forthcoming Chronicle and Dirt Wizard...

  24. #2649
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Mounted one up, at first it looked like it cleared in my Fox 32 RLC, but it stretched overnight and looks about identical in size to the Knard. I don't have a RH/Knard set up at the moment for comparisons, but here's what I got on the caliper:

    Trax Fatty/RH combo - 2.98" wide, 3.40" from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire - rubs the arch of the fork the same way the Knard did.
    Minion 2.5/RH combo - 2.59" wide, 2.97" from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire

    The Vee has to go back to the store for now, if it don't clear the fork I ain't riding it. Waiting for my Hugo wheelset to arrive before I make any final decisions on which fork to stick with and whether to dremel.

    Let some air out, it shrunk maybe a sixteenth or so, but still not quite clearing anything.
    That sounds good to me that's it's around the same size as the Knard. Did you weight it? Which version did you get, folding, Silica, 120tpi?

  25. #2650
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    823


    did anybody else see this? el super nice-o

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •