mtbr member
    May 2012

Superlight XT build of CC

Looking for opinion on Santa Cruz Bicycles Superlight 29 XT Complete Mountain Bike | Competitive Cyclist as a first FS bike
    Granted that they do come back in stock that is.

In short:
    SC Superlight 29er alu frame
    suspensions:
    FOX FLOAT CTD factory 100mm
    FOX 32 FLOAT 29 CTD Evolution 120mm
    Mechanics: All Shimano Deore XT (not many precision) 10 speed
    Mavic Cross Ride Disc wheels (would likely replace)

It seems to be a good deal - i come from road bikes and cross bikes. Used to have a hardtail long ago

Ive googled for these fork a while and its hard to figure out if thats good or not in particular.

(im looking for a decent FS in that price range basically - ie 2k + and I ride rocky terrain, lots of up/down XC stuff, probably many hours of riding each time i use it)

Thanks for any input

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just picked up one of these from CC/Backcountry. Been out a few times on it and love it! $2,199 plus $80 shipping, no tax and activejunky.com was also doing a 15% cashback (I think it's now 12%), so the net was under $2K, amazing bike for the price, especially with a full XT build. .

The bike came with the Fox Float 32 CTD Factory Series fork with Kashima coat, not the less expensive (non Kashima) Evolution that they list on the web site. I think they are all shipped like that even though the description calls for the cheaper fork. They also substituted a different saddle (Fizik Tundra2) and Conti X-King tires instead of the listed Race-King's. Not exactly 'superlight', about 28.7 without the pedals and the fairly heavy wheels.

I think large's are still available, it took about a week between 'back-order' and shipping.

Last edited by pfb; 06-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Indeed I got to chat with support and apparently there isnt any delay on shipping.
    So i went for it. I hope to get the same suspension (ie factory with coating).

Thanks for your help (and yes, its 12% now

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If it comes with the better fork, it is an awesome deal. Still a good deal with the crummy fork.

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Fox four-digit code on my fork is "CLL6", which when entered into the Fox Bike Help Center returns 2014 Factory Series 32 FLOAT 29 120 FIT CTD.

Rear shock was coded CLJG, = 2014 Evolution Series FLOAT CTD. So the rear shock is the non-Kashima evolution series...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    If it comes with the better fork, it is an awesome deal. Still a good deal with the crummy fork.
    Yeah, the only "bad" think about this good deal is the fork. I would still get it though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah superlight 29 is an awesome bike. I've had plenty of bikes and it's my favorite of all time. Pedals with a lot of efficiency, definitely fits in the XC category, but still pretty capable as a trail bike.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh, and as for wheels, I recommend the Stan's Arch or Crest depending on your weight and riding style--Crest being lighter and Arch being more durable. They're available as a complete wheelset or as rim only so you can select your hubs.

I built up Crest rims and it dropped a lot of weight from my SL29 and really made it fly.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    May 2012
    yeah i was looking at either stan arch or chinese LB wheels (w/ novatec) for smthing in the 500-600 range.

im not sure how good the ones coming with the bike are but i suspect the tires are more expensive than the wheels as per usual when buying bikes in the price range haha.

Ill report what fork i got when i actually receive it

mtbr member
    May 2012
    as promised... just got the bike today - so it took approx 2 weeks to build and receive (the online support these they're in stock its just that they need some time to receive the frame and build them, btw. well, at least for mine)

Got the exact same setup with the Fox Float 32 CTD Factory Series fork with Kashima coat, same saddle, tires etc as pfb described in comment 2.

So yay

Had a test ride and it's pretty nice. I'm swapping the wheels but they arent actually all that bad. I'd probably not have bothered to change them if converted to tubeless. They also ship the truaxle adapters for the rear wheel which is nice since im going to ebay them

I'm receiving the LB hookless 30mm 29ers in a few days (they arent listing them yet on the site for that very rim), although i looked at the stans a while too obviously.

Mine weights, stock without pedals 12.9Kg or 28.4 pounds so thats pretty close (and pretty decent too)

Thanks for the replies, btw, you guys rock

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Awesome! Pics?!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Disregard my goofy frame bag and pedals, this is going away I took the pics just now as I saw your msg, but I'll probably make better ones when the sun is up.

Superlight XT build of CC-dsc_0019.jpg

Superlight XT build of CC-dsc_0023.jpg

While I'm at it, the L fit seems pretty good for me. It looked big but after riding/adjusting.. its actually not too big at all (im 5"11) and it handles nicely too. Might put shorter bars tho (as in not as a large), or maybe its because im used to the "tiny" road bars.

I'm also surprised at the difference in cassette weight and brake housing vs the road stuff. Plastic housing and super light cassette. It works just as well tho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sizing seems about right. I'm 5'8/160 and the medium fit is perfect. If I were even 5'10 I would probably need the large. Mine came with 685mm riser bars which didn't seem too big, but I eventually swapped them for 590mm flat bar which steers quicker and puts me in a stronger riding position, although I don't have as much control as with the longer bars. Still a far cry from my 42cm road bars though lol.

Sorry if you already know this as I don't want to harp on details, but one of the reasons the brake 'housing' is different is because it's actually hose and not housing. Those are hydraulic brakes like in a car. Some bikes even use caustic brake fluid like in cars, but I believe the XT brakes might have mineral oil instead.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    yeah i know disc brakes (in fact my road bike has hydrolic disc brakes too)

here's a quick question about the brakes in fact. they're very lose and dont brake all that strong. I found the XT's maintenance sheet (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830611909.pdf)

It seems to me that when they're loose it means there's air in the system. I wonder if its safe to open them and get the air out as per the manual of if i need to buy new fluid etc (which woulndt be cool obviously). Might give a call to backcountry too about this.

(and yes i rode it with the bad braking.. i just had to..)

ps: the brakes are already set to shortest travel by screwing in the setting screw yet they touch the handlebar when i brake. meh. if getting air out isnt enough i think it may need rebleed.

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So I've been riding the SL29 quite a bit lately, 'super' happy with it! I previously had been riding long travel 26 inch bikes (Yeti 575 and SB-66) and was concerned a bit that the 100mm travel 29'er wouldn't handle rougher terrain, but the 29" wheels really do compensate for a fair amount of travel, and it seems plenty quick handling in tight switchbacks... I did go with a shorter 70mm stem on my build. Zero regrets on this one!

I went with the stock wheels, as customizing the bike meant giving up the $300+ cashback, but I'm actually pretty happy with both the tires and wheels. I think I'll convert them to tubeless and call it done...

Pick from earlier today:

[PS: My XT brakes are awesome... one finger, tons of well modulated stopping power. If your pulling the lever back to the bars, definitely get them checked out/bled!]

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Sizing seems about right. I'm 5'8/160 and the medium fit is perfect. If I were even 5'10 I would probably need the large.
    Agree... I'm 5'10", and with a 70mm stem, the large fits me perfectly...

mtbr member
    this black/green superlight is actually a 2012/2013 model if i remember correctly. we have had this sitting on our floor at the shop i work at for the last few years unfortunately as it is a nice bike. just think the one you ordered gave you a 2012/2013 frame due to the colorway and i think they prob just swapped to a newer kashima coated fork/shock to make up the fact the build is a few years old, that is my guess.

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AE Beej View Post
    this black/green superlight is actually a 2012/2013 model if i remember correctly. ... just think the one you ordered gave you a 2012/2013 frame due to the colorway and i think they prob just swapped to a newer kashima coated fork/shock to make up the fact the build is a few years old, that is my guess.
    Yup, the frame is in a previous year color (which looks great, by the way), but with the competitive cyclist-XT version, it's not just swapped in new fork. It's a frame up new build with current-version components, including the fork, shock, wheels and the full XT brake/shifter group. CC is clearly buying bare frames from Santa Cruz and sourcing everything else themselves. Very different and IMHO a much better deal than buying a leftover Superlight 29 with a Santa Cruz X9 build kit.

Continuing on the theme of great value, I just did my first ride with a new KS eTen dropper seat post. It's ~$125 instead of the $250-$400+ for many of the other dropper seat posts, it's a bargain. Two thumbs up so far!

I set up my bikes euro/moto style with the front brake swapped to the right, so I also swapped the dropper from the typical left side to right. When coming up to a big downhill, left hand is selecting big chain ring and trail braking, right hand is dropping post.