mtbr member
    May 2013

Suntour SR forks - no "rough trails"

I'd like to get an entry level bike, and I notice thay all have the Suntour forks. According to the Suntour page, these forks aren't for rough trails. What exactly constitutes a rough trail?

Level 5 Rider!
    I don't know but I am pretty rough on mine and it's doing fine so far. Doesn't do it as well as a different fork would, but what the hell would you need a fork for if not for rough stuff?

I am guessing that rock gardens at speed would be a bad idea... if you're an entry level rider than a entry level bike will work just fine for what you need.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    May 2013
    no rock gardens for me. But my crystal ball does show some wooded trails with lots of roots.

Level 5 Rider!
    Giver until it craps out on you... doubt they can be sold for much anyways. That's what I plan on doing with mine anyways.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    Giver until it craps out on you... doubt they can be sold for much anyways. That's what I plan on doing with mine anyways.
    This. Entry level SRs are throw away forks as the bushings typically wear out first and are not replaceable. They become pretty much a rigid fork at that point.

Rough would be bigger drops/jumps such as 2'+, rock gardens at higher speeds as mentioned, really rooty North Shore kind of stuff.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For entry level they are a great option. They're exceedingly low maintenance unlike the higher level hydraulic forks that require the fluid to be changed every 30 hours and seals every 60. Downsides - the lockout is of flimsy design and easily breaks. However it does not affect the dampening. They are not easily tuneable as air spring are. My ultimate suggestion has already been given, but ride one until it dies and then upgrade. Ultimately nothing can replace time in the saddle. Go ride and fine tune to your liking as your preferences change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    how do you know your fork is dead? when it turns into a rigid fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The problems will include 'pogoing' if you ride over multiple bumps, rocks, roots and chatter at speed. The fork has no adjustable rebound damping. You get bounced all around.
    It's will flex more as it goes over bumps, etc. so your sense of control will suffer and your wheel will not track where you point it exactly.
    One spring is available. You may be below or above the target weight.
    As the bushings fail dark grey greasy gunk should show up on the stanchions.
    'Floating along" behind your house is what they designed it for. They know what it is. They make it.

Nick offers the Raidon upgrade for 189+10 ship about 200. A BD GravityPoint 1 is 450 so 650 gets you a bike for trails. The fun stuff. If you want to stick with the oem fork I'd upgrade to SLX brakes from Bluesky, you'll need really good brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is good ole' lawsuit prevention talk. Ride it like you stole it.