Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Suggestions for beginner 29er

Looking for a 29er, my budget is 1000 really can't go over that. I would prefer to buy something new. Suggestions?

the half breed devil
    my personal recommendation:

MARIN BIKES**|** Mountain HT**|**29er **|**Alpine Trail 29er

i've owned a GT MTB before and loved it:

2011 GT Karakoram 1.0 | Mountain Bike Components and Specs

here's a resource i used when i purchased my bike:

Best 29 inch Mountain Bikes. Compare, reviews & ratings.
    Last edited by shekky; 01-07-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I may be a bit biased, but this is a great deal:

Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

Cow Clicker
    This might help: Noob Buyer's Guide
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    This might help: Noob Buyer's Guide
    ^^^yep

Merendon Junkie
    I havenīt bought a bikes direct bike yet but those two look like some pretty good deals for your budget.

$1099
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes

$899
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point4 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    would it be a good idea to get a less expensive 29er like a hardrock sport disc and upgrade the fork? if so, what fork would be suitable enough and also round out my budget, more or less???

mtbr member
    You may be able to get the Trek Cobia for a grand. Mine was just a bit over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ichor20 View Post
    would it be a good idea to get a less expensive 29er like a hardrock sport disc and upgrade the fork? if so, what fork would be suitable enough and also round out my budget, more or less???

It is usually cheaper overall /better value to buy a bike with the parts you want rather than upgrading a lower spec model.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mamba or 2012 Cobia

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you have any interest in a full-suspension 29er, you might take a look at the GT Sensor 29er at GiantNerd.com:

The Elite model, including the site's GeniusBuild service ends up around $1100 with their current discount
    http://www.giantnerd.com/gt-sensor-9...tain-bike.html

Obviously, not a high-end FS 29er, but a pretty decent spec for the price...
    Marzocchi 44TST 120mm air fork (has rebound & lockout)
    X-Fusion O2 rear shock (has rebound & lockout)
    Deore front & rear derailleurs
    Avid Elixir 1 hydro brakes

Again, nothing earth-shattering, but a good, fun ride. I've had mine since November, and it's been a solid beginner FS 29er for me. I'm not a shill for GiantNerd or GT, but had a great buying, and now riding experience.

Best of luck to you,
    Hawk

mtbr member
    Also if you could stretch your budget another 100 or 200 you would have a lot more options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ichor20 View Post
    Price point has some Manitou Tower Pro models at 350 or a 2010-2012 RockShox Reba off ebay for 150-250 would work. It would be useful to go for a used HRock.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    That's a weak group for $1,000. Carbon is nice, but Goblin or Razzo are better choices. Plus, this guy needs a lot of gear. Would be best served with a $700 bike and $300 in gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you live in Europe, I recommend you radon bikes, it's the price nobody can beat. It is a quality German Company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    That's a weak group for $1,000. Carbon is nice, but Goblin or Razzo are better choices. Plus, this guy needs a lot of gear. Would be best served with a $700 bike and $300 in gear.
    At 600 he could get the Airborne Guardian. This would leave him plenty for gear.

mtbr member
    I bought my first 29er used; something I could sell for about what I paid for it. It really helped me decide what I wanted when I decided to get something above entry-level.

If you do want to stay with a new bike, I second the Trek bikes listed above (Mamba & Cobia). With the 2012 closeout, you can get a great buy but you would still lose money if you wanted to sell it in 6 months to a year. If this is something you know you want to keep and not dump a bunch of upgrade money in, then they are a GREAT value.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    At 600 he could get the Airborne Guardian. This would leave him plenty for gear.

Liking that airborne bike! damn, i got alot more reading to do ... thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I bought a Fuji 29er for $599

Fuji Nevada 29er 2.0 Mountain Bike - Black - Sport Chalet

Pretty nice package out of the box if A.) you can deal with it being 31lbs and B.) you need the extra money for riding gear.

Rogue Exterminator
    This sounds like it is a first bike.
    That being said, although some online prices are really good, but I suggest going to a LBS. Not only will they help you find a bike that fits your needs, they will help you find one that fits you, put it together, make adjustments, and usually at minimum give you a free tune up after you break it in. Some will even give you life time tune ups. Not to mention that you can usually ride them before buying them.

For that price point, I suggest going hard tail or even rigid.
    Make sure you have enough for riding gear too.

Cow Clicker
    I still do not have enough information to make a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What region of the country do I live in? south tx
    Where do I plan to ride my new bike? local trail and just trail blazin' around town mix of dirt and road
    Are there any YouTube videos of the trails I plan to ride? no
    How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby? many hrs weekly, i've been running for about a 1 year now, time to tackle mother nature with something different
    What is my previous cycling experience? had an iron horse quantum about 6 yrs ago then it got stolen only had it for about 4 months, to and from campus and local dirt roads and fields.
    Have I participated in other hobbies, sports or activities that may give me relevant skills? running i guess
    What are my mechanical abilities? pretty decent
    Do I currently own a bike? no
    Do I currently own a helmet, gloves, padded shorts, proper shoes, Cyclocomputer, Finish line bike wash, Finishline brush kit, shop rags, chain lube, chain stay protector (I like Shelter), Gloves, good socks, solid tire pressure gauge, floor tire pump, on trail tire pump or cartridges, shock pump, good three way hex, mufti tool, spare bottles, cages, backpack to put all your gear in? unfortunetly no gear
    Why do I want to buy a new bike? Been meaning to get back into since my first one got stolen something i always wanted to get back to but couldn't due to getting married and having two kids now i'm more financially stable and making fitness a key component in my life. Started running and lost 45lbs in a year. now i want to change it up.
    How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want? i know i want to go 29 i've tried one out briefly and felt very comfortable as opposed to a 26
    Do I have friends who are into the hobby? What's their mechanical and riding experience? N/A
    What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride? N/A
    What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? (Full suspension, hardtail, rigid, single speed, geared) a lot of hardtails down here
    Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Do I have savings in the bank and money to burn? got the money to burn
    How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year? whatever is reasonable. i've spent 700 on running shoes so this wouldn't be any different.
    What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby? fitness
    How do I expect my life to be different a year from the day my new bike arrives? 2/3 triathlon ready lol

EDIT: I'm 6'1, 187lbs, 27 yrs young

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Cow Clicker
    Consider these if you're willing to do factory direct.

at Price Point

Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 26&29"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast