Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This place needs an enema

On the subject of genre busting...

Rode my new bike in Crested Butte last weekend--slogged up to 12,200', camped, woke, rode some more, then blasted back to town.

Rode it unladen on an Ewok-approved trail the next day. So sweet.

Brought it home and changed shoes, then headed out for some wash bashing and dry creek exploring.

Currently poring over maps and thinkering up some places to take this'n. Places I'd not have thought about riding--until now...

Powered by ice cream.
    Nobody seems to get this.

May I ask what rims for the fattys?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now that would be the bike for your infamous "hell ride".

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Nobody seems to get this.

May I ask what rims for the fattys?
    I used Velocity P35's, shooting for a good blend of light and wide. The bike still feels snappy and spirited (nothing at all like a "fat" bike) but it also floats across washes and through sand pits much better than any other 29"er I've ridden to date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So the P35's are wide enough to not make the Knards feel under-rimmed? Very cool. Is the Lenz custom to fit those "shoes"? Very cool. What's you big cog in the back? Seem liks a lot of weight to get up those hights you describe. I run 28x12x36, and that get's tough @ 2000'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't get it. I'm nice, and generally try to be helpful when I post. But I can kill a good thread fast than Copperfield (or whatever his name was/is). Bummer. This thread deserves better. Sorry I jinxed it.

mtbr member
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around camping out of those three small bags.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I don't get it. I'm nice, and generally try to be helpful when I post. But I can kill a good thread fast than Copperfield (or whatever his name was/is). Bummer. This thread deserves better. Sorry I jinxed it.
    that's talent.

mtbr member
    dirt wizards next? ;-)~ cool bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sweet ride, gotta get to CB one of these days. Any details on the bike? Looks like a Mammoth with wide stays? Fatmoth...HA!

So the P35's are wide enough to not make the Knards feel under-rimmed? Very cool. Is the Lenz custom to fit those "shoes"? Very cool. What's you big cog in the back? Seem liks a lot of weight to get up those hights you describe. I run 28x12x36, and that get's tough @ 2000'.
    If all-out float were your main goal, I think the Surly rims would be the ticket. I don't plan to take this bike to places where full-fat is needed, which is why I chose the P35's. And finally, to answer your specific question, I think the P35's feel great down to ~12psi. If I need lower than that I'm probably better off choosing a different route or a different bike.

The rear of this frame is the first of it's kind, but it is also retrofittable to *any* Lenz Mammoth of any vintage. So yes it is custom, but no, it ain't custom.

I'm running a SRAM XX1 drivetrain. 28t up front, 10-42 cluster out back. There were a few times when I wanted a titch lower gear, especially on high, so I've ordered a 26t ring for it. Should see it Tues.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

On the subject of genre busting...

Cool! Mammoth still get the full 5? Any signs of dings on P35 at 12psi? My P35s on my REEB were f'd up visually not functionally after 6 months with 2.4 ardents. I tack it to poor line choice and semi circular shape of rim.
    Lenz going to go fatter I presume one day.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    Cool! Mammoth still get the full 5? Any signs of dings on P35 at 12psi? My P35s on my REEB were f'd up visually not functionally after 6 months with 2.4 ardents. I tack it to poor line choice and semi circular shape of rim.
    Lenz going to go fatter I presume one day.
    Getting better than 5, maybe even 5.5 using a 57mm stroke shock. Might bang the seat tube with the seatstay yoke if I clank it hard, but hasn't happened yet. Spec is for a 51mm stroke shock but I didn't have one in the bin and was anxious to ride, soooo....

No dings in the rims yet, but that's just a matter of time. P35's ding *way* easily, but it doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the wheel. I'd rather have a rim ding than a flat tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great to see this become reality. Looking forward to future permutations and ride reports.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice pictures. My brother in law lived in CB for years, never got a chance to ride there. Really wish I had before he moved.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

oh crap...
    MC - What does the "SS" designation mean? Great looking ride!
    Grow some food for yourself.

transmitter~receiver
    boing!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    MC - What does the "SS" designation mean? Great looking ride!
    Super sweet?

Stupid sick?

So soon?

Dunno, actually. Hard to see it when riding, so I haven't thought too much about it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Super sweet?

Stupid sick?

So soon?

Dunno, actually. Hard to see it when riding, so I haven't thought too much about it...
    Super Size.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you have to mod your fork? I really want a HT with the 29+ wheel... as I think that would give me almost everything I need. (I want FS, but don't need the hassle or added level of stupidness they grant me.)

Did you have to mod your fork? I really want a HT with the 29+ wheel... as I think that would give me almost everything I need. (I want FS, but don't need the hassle or added level of stupidness they grant me.)
    No fork mods.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Super sweet?

Stupid sick?

So soon?

It wouldn't be 'short stay' would it, as in short chain stay? Looks like 1x11 with no tab for a front derailleur (unless I'm just missing it).

That finish is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    It wouldn't be 'short stay' would it, as in short chain stay? Looks like 1x11 with no tab for a front derailleur (unless I'm just missing it).

That finish is killer.
    Nope, not short. Mammoth and FatMoth are XC-aimed chassis', meaning more for the on-the-ground and covering-lots-of-it crowd, whom typically prefer a little extra length for stability and eleventh-hour-forgiveness.

Just back from an evening ride on it. Laced a set of Derby rims a few days ago--really nice to have a *light* wheelset that is also wide *and* tubeless.

This bike is so full of win I can't stand it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nope, not short. Mammoth and FatMoth are XC-aimed chassis', meaning more for the on-the-ground and covering-lots-of-it crowd, whom typically prefer a little extra length for stability and eleventh-hour-forgiveness.

Just back from an evening ride on it. Laced a set of Derby rims a few days ago--really nice to have a *light* wheelset that is also wide *and* tubeless.

This bike is so full of win I can't stand it!
    I just had to change my drawers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mike,

Have you put a Knard in a Pike yet? If so, how was the fit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast