mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Stumpy vs. Trance X vs. Rumblefish vs. Satori vs. ???

So what say you? $3,000 ish. 29" FS trail bike. Stumpy, Trance, Rumblefish, Satori something else? Who's got the best bike? What are the pros and cons? Best spec list? Best price?

mtbr member
    Might want to look at a 2012 Salsa Horsethief in there too. You can get them for about 2k, they have Stan's wheels, X9/X7 parts, Fox 34 fork that is 120mm can remove spacer and go 140 on it. Good riding frame, good parts and cheap if you can find em in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What's the primary use? If it's all-mountain, a Rumblefish is the way to go! Tough, light, agile. The stock rims are not so hot, but that's an easy fix. All great bikes, though.

-Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That salsa looks pretty well specked. Is 2k really what those things are going for? That seems nearly a grand less than the others! Ill have to see if I can find a dealer.

All-mountain? Depends what you mean by that. No downhill really just the ups and downs of the trail. Lots of rocks and roots, and tight technical single track. Some drops and small jumps. I would say a Trail bike is probably the right term.

mtbr member
    I can PM you a link where to get it for 2k if you want. Just lemme know!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Depending on the size you ride, you can also get an Yeti SB95 online for under 3k.

Complete Bastard
    Rip9?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Scalpel 3?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode a rumblefish and a trance x 29er yesterday at a demo. I really wanted to try the Satori, but kona didn't bring any.

I liked the.rumblefish the best, but my very tall friend preferred the trance.

Rohloff
    I own a Trek Hifi 29. I've test rode a Rumblefish, Stumpy FSR 29, and Satori. I haven't ridden the new Trance 29er but I have ridden an Anthem. Of all of them I like the Stumpy FSR 29 the best. It ate ruff trails and cornered the best. The Rumblefish was good. It felt like it had a high bottom bracket. It seemed like it would be good in real chunky, techy terrain. The Satori felt more slacked out and less agile. Based on how the Anthem rode, I'm real curious about the Trance. I'm guessing it might be up there with the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good info there bsdc. I need to get out and test ride a bunch of these whenever I find demo days.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Test rode several 29ers and NEMBA (New England Mountain Bike Assoc.) in August. Loved the Stumpy FSR Carbon. Hands down that was the bike for me.

Everyone is different though so gotta ride them! Good luck.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wonder how the Horsethief would compare next to the other bikes you rode. It looks a lot like the stumpy for geo, just slightly more slack.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    So what say you? $3,000 ish. 29" FS trail bike. Stumpy, Trance, Rumblefish, Satori something else? Who's got the best bike? What are the pros and cons? Best spec list? Best price?
    I chose the Rumblefish due to the DRCV shock and fork technology plus ABP, double thru axles, Trek gives IMBA proceeds from FS bike sales and gives new bikes to Trips for Kids chapters. Beefy, solid frame too I think it's a keeper.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Universal Cycles still has plenty of stock on the Horsetheif
    Universal Cycles -- Salsa Horsethief Complete Bike - 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, that price on the Horsethief is really tempting. After riding a few different "trail" bikes I thought I was settled on waiting for the Trance to get to my dealer, but that won't be till March. I'm pretty sure none of my local dealers have a Horsethief in stock to demo, so this will be a tough decision....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    Wow, that price on the Horsethief is really tempting. After riding a few different "trail" bikes I thought I was settled on waiting for the Trance to get to my dealer, but that won't be till March. I'm pretty sure none of my local dealers have a Horsethief in stock to demo, so this will be a tough decision....
    Yea, I hope I'm not kicking myself for not waiting and buying the horsetheif.... DirtRagMag rated it 1 of the top 10 bikes of 2012.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I picked up a used 2010 RF One last July and really enjoyed it over the summer. Previous bike was an 05 Cannondale F400.
    Replaced the OE bars with Spank 777's and looking to replace the stem with a shorter one. The Elixer 5's are being replaced with XT's also. I am p

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ready for another wrench in your sprocket? This one's pretty killer too
    Airborne's Hobgoblin is also a steal
    Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I wrote a review of my 2013 Stump FSR Carbon Comp 29 on this website. I went carbon frame to have a lightweight bike. I have been riding it constantly since early september, it is truly a bike that can handle anything from all day 60km marathons, to gnarly downhills and god awful uphills, to your favourite speedy single track. It is a complete package.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I will be watching this thread closely, as I am a bit in the same boat.

Keep on Rockin...
    The 2011 Stumpy 29er FSR I've had for 2 seasons now is great. Probably one of the best trail/AM bikes I've owned to date. I've set it up 2 different ways so far... lighter tires in xc mode, and with fat rubber and a 650b out back for more AM mode. It is a killer setup in the latter.

The low BB and its supper plush suspension makes it feel super stable in the rough, and it carves turns like no other bike I've had with the 650b out back. Even with the slackened HTA steering this bike is telepathic - I just think where I want to go and I'm there. Steers great from the hips. On the downhills the bike is incredibly stable and allows me to hit drops, jumps, and burms without much work on my end. My stock Reba 130 TA is due for service this winter and I hear I can bump it up to 140mm which I'd like to try.

The bike in its pure 29" mode is good, but does not make a great xc bike. Out of the saddle pedaling is sloppy as the suspension design, with this much travel, bobs a lot. Throwing the compression knob helps, and I use it alot for steep climbs, but throwing it on and off on the trail is a pain. If I could get a bar mounted lever for the shock.... I might have a perfect bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Intense tracer29 or the spider 29 are great American made trail bikes. The tracer is a little more burley but I love mine. Climbs great and decends even better. I have it set up with a teralogic fork and never have to flip any switches, just do the tire pressure and go. Love it for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The stock rims are not so hot, but that's an easy fix.