mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Stumpjumper vs. Camber vs. Trance X

I need some help picking my next bike. I have no ability to test ride any of them but need to pick one. The closest I could get to a test ride was an Epic and I didn't like it. I liked the 29" wheels but other than that it felt harsh to me - almost felt like a hard tail. I ride in AZ, lots of rocks, rock gardens, boulders, hardpack, etc.

Specifically I'm looking at the Trance X 0 29, Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29, and the Camber Expert Carbon.

Has anyone ridden all three or variants of all 3? My LBS also sells Pivot as well but I got burned buying from a smaller manufacturer before so don't really want to go down that road again.

Price isn't really an issue as I'll be buying from the LBS and 2013 models so very little discounting will be happening.

Thoughts?

Your Best Friend
    IMO the Trance X0's rear suspension design will outshine either of the Specialized models in the chunk and climbs great as well. The 0 has a very nice wheelset too, hard to beat. Very nice build all around. Has my vote if you can't tell.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You said you ride in AZ, lots of rocks, rock gardens, boulders, hardpack, etc.

I own the Camber and love it for what it is, but for true chunk duty, pick the Stumpy. The brain in back gives it a LOT of range.
    Last edited by kosmo; 12-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the STJ FSR 29 Comp and love it, but I would also check out the Satori from Kona and the Horsethief from Salsa.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've had my STJ FSR 29 Elite (medium) for since Oct. The bike is awsome! The stock avid brakes suck and I switched them out to Shimano XT. I also had the LBS switch the 125mm drop command post to the 100mm drop, otherwise I couldn't lower the seat enough when the post was in the high position. I usaully run the talas fork in the lower position; I like the handling better than in the tall setting. Brain shock is also great. The bike is super fast, plush, and climbs great. I test rode the 2013 Trek Superfly 100, nice bike and the Rumblefish, didn't like it at all. I also rode the 2012 Camber 29 and it was ok.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    IMO the Trance X0's rear suspension design will outshine either of the Specialized models in the chunk and climbs great as well. The 0 has a very nice wheelset too, hard to beat. Very nice build all around. Has my vote if you can't tell.
    Have you ridden one or do you ride one regularly? The only thing that scares me a bit is I read some reviews about the front coming off trail pretty bad on climbs. That was the only real complaint in the review but lots of commenters did chime in and say they've run into the same issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    On the STJ, I have never had an issue with the front end coming up off the ground during climbs. I do run the fork in the lower position almost all the time.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Are all these in the same price range? How much are you looking to spend?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Have you ridden a Stumpy? I think the FSR suspension is one of the best at eating up the chunky stuff, hence why it bobs a bib without the brain. I would go Stumpy hands down when it comes to the chunky technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Stumpy with the brain, I also added a fox 34 talas to it and run it in the 110mm setting 90% of the time and it climbs almost as good as my epic did. It also has carbon havens for wheels and gravity dropper. The fsr system kills it in the chunk to me, but to each his own.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you have lots of chunk and rocks - and Im guessing some good downs - you should look at the Kona Satori and Yeti 95

personally i believe th Satori is one of the hands down best values out there - and it flipping rocks - does everything real well - and simply eats up the chunk without a flinch

Ive demoed the stumpy - not bad, I own an Anthem29 and love it - but to xc and short on the legs to go really fast on chunky downhill

Satori and Yeti did everything really well and nothing I've ridden compares to either of em when the going gets steep and deep

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Are all these in the same price range? How much are you looking to spend?
    They're all pretty much in the 4-5k range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    If you have lots of chunk and rocks - and Im guessing some good downs - you should look at the Kona Satori and Yeti 95

personally i believe th Satori is one of the hands down best values out there - and it flipping rocks - does everything real well - and simply eats up the chunk without a flinch

Ive demoed the stumpy - not bad, I own an Anthem29 and love it - but to xc and short on the legs to go really fast on chunky downhill

Satori and Yeti did everything really well and nothing I've ridden compares to either of em when the going gets steep and deep
    I've heard good things about both of those but plan to buy from a LBS and while there are bike shops in Phoenix that sell them, none would qualify for local where I live (far NW part of town).

My only real LBS options where I'm at are Giant, Specialized, and Pivot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY View Post
    I have a Stumpy with the brain, I also added a fox 34 talas to it and run it in the 110mm setting 90% of the time and it climbs almost as good as my epic did. It also has carbon havens for wheels and gravity dropper. The fsr system kills it in the chunk to me, but to each his own.
    I'm leaning towards the Stumpy at this point. I just don't know if the Camber would be enough travel for me. When I rented the Epic 29, I really liked the 29" wheels in general but I badly missed the 150mm of travel that I'm used to on my current bike.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by byrtch View Post
    They're all pretty much in the 4-5k range.
    If you can get your hands on a Transition Bandit 29 in your area it would be worth a test ride. I have a 26" Stumpy FSR with 5-1/2" of travel and recently built a Bandit 29. It's a 29er with 5" of travel and the specs are within 1/2" of the 26" Stumpy. I haven't been on a serious trail ride yet but I've heard great things about the versatility of this bike and can't wait to get her dirty.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    If you can get your hands on a Transition Bandit 29 in your area it would be worth a test ride. I have a 26" Stumpy FSR with 5-1/2" of travel and recently built a Bandit 29. It's a 29er with 5" of travel and the specs are within 1/2" of the 26" Stumpy. I haven't been on a serious trail ride yet but I've heard great things about the versatility of this bike and can't wait to get her dirty.
    Same problem as the others....in fact there isn't even a bike shop in Arizona that handles this brand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Stumpy brain and talas 34 140 fork and u get the best of both worlds.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The spamming on this forum is absolutely ridiculous and out of hand.