mtbr member
    Apr 2013

StumpJumper HT size dilemma

Hey folks,

Potentially silly question here but I'm rackin' my brain trying to make a decision so I figured what's the worst that can happen from posting? Maybe some trolls will call me an idiot. I can take that.

I'm just shy of 6'. I need a new MTB. I'm looking at a hardtail 29er. I've tried a bunch (2011 Trek Superfly, Specialized StumpJumper, Giant XTC and some others). The best feeling bike for me on a test ride was a medium (17.5") StumpJumper.

The dilemma is this. It felt comfortable to ride out of the store but I haven't tried it on the trail. The people in one store said it was probably too small for me because of how high I had to have the saddle. That said the large gave me almost no standover clearance. Not none but not much (maybe a bit more than 1") - and I am a guy.

Food for thought: My current bike: Trek 8500 felt big initially too (it was a frame warranty - guess they changed their geometry) and I've come to really like it.

The other bikes simply didn't feel as peppy. I'm open to any advice/shared experiences.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have an S-Works HT and am just a bit shorter than 6'. Specialized and two shops said, as a 'tweener, I was better suited to a large frame. I chose the medium and have been 110% happy with my bike and how I fit on it, but I usually like my frames on the smaller side.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

neeeds donation$ for bike
    I am also just shy of 6ft. I am more legs than torso fyi. You make it sound like the stand over is the biggest problem with the large. You are going to be using it from the seated/standing position more then just standing over it which you can manage as stated. As long as the saddle position is not below the bars much or at all i def. recommend you to get the large. good luck to you

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mark - thanks for that. I feel like I'm in the same camp where I simply prefer a smaller bike.

Tyler - Yeah the stand over height is my biggest concern. That's true. I'm more concerned about busting my boys on there than anything. But you're right - you can come off the bike in different ways. If it weren't for that I'd probably just throw a different stem on and give er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you haven't, try a medium Scott Scale 900 series bike before you come to a decision. The geo includes a slacker head tube angle. Spec uses a steeper angle (71.5) than Scott(69.5) and Trek for their 29ers. It shows up riding a Spec on the trail on downhills hitting bumps at speed as lively steering which benefits from constant concentration. As hardtails get used for faster more AM riding with more travel they are getting slacker.
    The 8500 came in a ML 18.5 and L 19.5. Standover is something in a shop flat floor situation. Riding your foot is on a pedal and the other on some angled side of the trail when you get off.

mtbr member
    ^^^^I agree with eb1888 about what he is saying about the steep head tube angle that the Stumpys have. This is partially why they feel like a rocket when you ride one for the first time. BUT....My large Stumpy EVO HT requires a lot of concentration (in comparison) to go fast down hill....It can get down right squirly....I smoothed over that issue with a 70 mm stem, Helped A LOT. I use this bike for all mountain type riding and if I had to do it over I probably would buy a bike with a slacker HTA like the Scott Scale.

I'm 6'1" and the 19 " is a perfect fit, but I tend to ride with the seat slightly lower than most people prefer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So I ended up going back to my LBS and they had a heavily discounted large (19") 2011 Trek Superfly. The bike fit great and was a steal. I know there are issues with the frame but apparently not dangerous and their warranty is pretty incredible.

So - peace of mind about fit and a bit of money saved. Now just waiting for the trails to dry up (I'm in Toronto) and then start riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah the scale definitely has a nice geo setup.

As for the frame sizes, I never payed ANY attention to standover height, what mattered most was the fit while riding it. How did the Large feel while riding it? Were you too stretched out? What is your inseam?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Yeah the scale definitely has a nice geo setup.

As for the frame sizes, I never payed ANY attention to standover height, what mattered most was the fit while riding it. How did the Large feel while riding it? Were you too stretched out? What is your inseam?
    I never actually tried the Scale. Rode the trek, liked it, price was right and I bought it! Looks like a nice bike though.