mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Stumpjumper, Goblin, or Motobecane?

I am looking at three different HT 29ers right now in the XXL or 22-23" size

Motobecane Fantom 29 X7 - $900
    Original Airborne Goblin - $950
    2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29 - $1,500

The prices above are with shipping and/or tax as applicable.

In comparing the specs between the three bikes, all are very similar with the only major exception being the Rekon TK fork on the Motobecane vs. the Reba RL on the other two.

I have done all my own wrenching on my bikes for 10+ years so ordering a bike online is not a problem for me.

I guess the basic questions comes down to whether the frame on the Stumpjumper is worth the extra $500 to $600. Is it going to be any lighter? Better quality?

Would I be better off spending the $500 difference on upgrades to the Motobecane or Airborne?

mtbr member
    I'd definetely lean towards the Stumpjumper, for being a 2012 model you might get a better deal

A couple of friends got their Stumpjumper Comp and they're stoked, one of them upgraded the rear mech, cassette and chain to XX and set the tires tubeless and the bike's 24.0 lb with heavy SPD pedals and cages (size M)

Test the bike a couple of times and love the geometry, it's pretty race ready out of the box... I don't love the brakes though
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From experience MotoBacon tend to run small

mtbr member
    I am not sure, but I *think* that the Stumpy is tubeless ready out of the box (rims/tires)- just add valve stems and yellow tape -they definitely were for 2012.. The other 2 are definitely not without a Stan's or ghetto conversion. Of the mailorder bikes, I would go Goblin hands down..just looks more like a "real" bike than the Moto. The Specy is a known - plenty of them out there with lots of good reviews. The disc brake noise is the only issue - I solved mine with some different rotors/pads. Your point is a valid one however that for $500 (or less) you can get a set of TLR wheels.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 12-02-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm going to make it even harder for you and throw another one into the mix

Sette Razzo XT 10 Speed 29er Alloy Mountain Bike at Price Point

mtbr member
    I lost the part of the Stumpy as a 2011 model

In that case I'd choose the Goblin, my Niner had that very same wheels and with gorilla tape and valves held tubeless great
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I picked up a 2012 SJ comp HT XXL this year. Its amazing. Its unbelievably light right out of the box. Well to me anyways I.

I will say this tho, with it being a 29er, bigger wheel size and the bigger frame I feel like I'm riding a horse out there. When it gets into really tight, techy stuff it sometimes gets a bit hard. But other then that its amazing.

My buddy is picking up a Goblin over the course of the winter so I cant comment on its quality, but the price is awesome. The only reason I got the SJ was cause I'm from Canada so I could not go to a bike shop and test out the Goblin, and when I went to my LBS they had one SJ in XXL and gave me a smokin deal on it, so I like to think it was destiny hahahaha

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's another I'm going to throw in the mix

Sette Serum Pro XT Carbon Mountain 21in Bike - DEMO at Price Point

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    if you are planning on doing your own Mech stuff... either the Sette or airbourne.. use the $500 to get tools and a stand...

if not so mech inclined, go to the shop and get the Spec or a Trek ,...

I like the Goblin a tad better do to the Sam drivetrain but honestly these days they are about equal, just which type of shifter pod/movement you prefer... Both Airbourne and Sette/Pricepoint are great about service (Both are probably some of the best for a mail order companies) so it's a toss up...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the replies so far! I had not looked into Sette yet but I will now. I guess I'm thankful for more options but damn, it makes it even harder to decide. At least I'm only 6'6" and there are multiple options out there for a guy my size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a green Goblin in May. Fantastic co. to deal with. I paid a little more than you will if you get one. You won't be disappointed. Throw the extra cash towards some wheels and you're set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    Here's another I'm going to throw in the mix

Sette Serum Pro XT Carbon Mountain 21in Bike - DEMO at Price Point
    Too bad they only go up to 21" in the carbon frame. That would have been a good option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You can't beat the price of that Goblin; it was originally $1150, it's only discounted because those are the very last of that model. I bought a black Goblin (the new model) about a month ago and LOVE it. I would have gotten a green one if they'd still had it in my size, so you're pretty lucky. Take the $500 you save over the stumpjumper and get some upgrades (carbon bars, new tires, etc) or a repair stand. You won't be disappointed.
    I intend to live forever or die in the attempt.

mtbr member
    Just to add some perspective;

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago, I narrowed my choice of HT 29er down to either the 2013 Stumpy Comp 29er, or 2013 Motobecane Fly Ti 29er. Ultimately, with tax and shipping taken into account, the Moto ended up being $20 more. I went with the Moto because titanium and XO. I previously had a 2010 Stumpy Comp, which is essentially the same bike all the way throughout the years, including 2013 (they went with Magura brakes for this year). You really can't go wrong with the Stumpy... it's a really fast bike that did everything I wanted and more. I will say that the Moto has a bit higher standover height, which is a pinch high for me (mine's an XL and I have a 33" inseam). I fit PERFECTLY on the Stumpy... but standover aside, the Moto also fits perfectly as well... and let me tell you, it FLIES.

Given your choices, I'd opt for the more expensive Specialized. IMO it's a better bike in the long run and will likely last you through updgrades and part replacements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. I narrowed down my choice the Specialized and the Airborne. I ultimately decided on the 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29. I went this way for these reasons:

- Supporting my LBS and free lifetime adjustments (which I probably won't use but it's nice to have just in case there's something I can't figure out).

- 2011 SJ had an original price of $2,049 and I picked it up for $1,399 plus tax.

- The wheels on the SJ, while they aren't the best, are tubeless ready and weigh in at 1909g. Getting something at that weight was going to cost me at least $200-$300 so that eats into half of the price advantage of the Goblin.

- I was able to test ride the 23" frame and it fit me well. It was a 22" frame on the Goblin. Ultimately it probably would have been fine as the ETT was within 3/4".

- Instant gratification! :-)

- Most importantly LBS agreed to do several things for me as part of the sale. 1) change the front rotor from 160 to 180. I'm just shy of 190 pounds at 6'6" so I felt I needed the extra braking power. 2) replace the tires with another SWorks tire most appropriate to the terrain I ride. 3) switch to a tubeless setup.

I will say that I emailed Jeremy (BigDaddyFlyer) with Airborne several times on this and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I will without a doubt recommend Airborne to anyone looking for a great deal on a bike in the future. I hope I can send some of my friends their way.

Happy Trails
    You made a good call. You bought the best bike within your budget, that fits well, from a bike shop that you'll trade with in the future. That's always a good decision... Should always be plan "A".

Pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my hands on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    You made a good call. You bought the best bike within your budget, that fits well, from a bike shop that you'll trade with in the future. That's always a good decision... Should always be plan "A".

Pics?

mtbr member
    Good call man - don't underestimate TLR rims/tires....worth their weight in gold!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow! I picked up my new SJ today after an early exit from work. It's 70 on December 3rd in the midwest so a quick ride was a necessity.

The ride on this was night and day vs. my former ride, a 2000 Spec Rockhopper Pro. I thought to myself while I was riding that it was like experiencing the joy of mountain biking for the first time again. Fast, stable, smooth and easy to control. I was amazed how much different it felt rolling over obstacles. I haven't downloaded the Garmin yet but it sure felt a lot faster.

Of course it would be hard to base as scientific theory on this as I changed way too many variables.

- 29" v. 26" wheels
    - good bit of weight difference between the SJ and the RH. I weighed the SJ tonight and it's right at 26 lbs set up tubeless with fairly heavy Shimano SPD pedals.
    - Ruby air fork v. well worn Manitou spring and damper
    - Tubeless tires
    - Wide handlebar without bar ends
    - I was riding in the dark toward the end of the ride with a headlight. Strangely enough, this was my first night ride. Cool experience.

That 23" frame is a monster huh? It looks like a "regular" size bike with 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ksujeff99 View Post
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. I narrowed down my choice the Specialized and the Airborne. I ultimately decided on the 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29. I went this way for these reasons:

- Supporting my LBS and free lifetime adjustments (which I probably won't use but it's nice to have just in case there's something I can't figure out).

- 2011 SJ had an original price of $2,049 and I picked it up for $1,399 plus tax.

- The wheels on the SJ, while they aren't the best, are tubeless ready and weigh in at 1909g. Getting something at that weight was going to cost me at least $200-$300 so that eats into half of the price advantage of the Goblin.

- I was able to test ride the 23" frame and it fit me well. It was a 22" frame on the Goblin. Ultimately it probably would have been fine as the ETT was within 3/4".

- Instant gratification! :-)

- Most importantly LBS agreed to do several things for me as part of the sale. 1) change the front rotor from 160 to 180. I'm just shy of 190 pounds at 6'6" so I felt I needed the extra braking power. 2) replace the tires with another SWorks tire most appropriate to the terrain I ride. 3) switch to a tubeless setup.

I will say that I emailed Jeremy (BigDaddyFlyer) with Airborne several times on this and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I will without a doubt recommend Airborne to anyone looking for a great deal on a bike in the future. I hope I can send some of my friends their way.
    I'm a little bummed there will be one less green Goblin out on the trails with me, but good to hear that would got a great deal and you're happy with the bike!

Congrats!