mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Stumpjumper FSR comp or Fuel EX 8

Hi, tested both 29ers and both felt comfortable.
    Considering both as an option to replace my 26 Titus.
    For the stumpy - upgrade brakes to XT.
    For the Fuel - upgrade cranck to XT 2X10.
    Both at the same price range.
    Anyone csn recommend or has any other observation?
    Appreciate your help on such tough decision
    Last edited by Shai Meltzer; 08-03-2013 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i think the fuel is 120mm of travel. stumpy is 130. specialized fsr is an active suspension (without the brain shock). some people may not like active nature of it while pedaling. Me, im not that fussy, ive already got an xc race bike if i want to hammer the hills and all that. Im strongly considering getting a stumpy myself. There is also the camber evo for 2014, which is 120mm of travel and from only reading reviews is said to pedal better than the stumpjumer. guess it all comes down to what you want to do and how much travel you feel you need. The fuel if ups are a little more important and stumpy if you want to giggle a little more on the downs maybe. From reading reviews of the stumpy comp, people tend to give a bad rap to the avid brakes, the hi/lo hubs and the pf30 bottom bracket bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looked at both myself... Chose the stumpy. It had a "lighter" feel to me, I'm sure that it's just some geo, or rolling resistance thing but feel is what you have to go with. Mine should come in this coming weekend got 2013. I did upgraded to SLX brakes with the icetech rotors. Also looks like the 2014's go with a rockshox front and I think formula brakes. Can't go wrong with either, comes down to feel and what you like looking at.

MTB B'dos
    Where you test them, parking lot? I say try to get a proper test on them on a trail, if that's not possible, try them both out climbing a set of stairs of about 5-6 and see how they pedal up and go down, this should give you a good idea of how good the suspension is. Also try hammering out of the saddle in a "wrong" gear to simulate a surprise short climb. Personally, I'd go for the FuelEX. If it pedals any better than the Rumblefish then for sure - have riden a RF and Stumpy, RF beat the Stumpy for me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics