Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er 2x10 gears?

I am in the market for a stout cross-country/light all mountain bike. I have narrowed it down to the Trek Rumblefish and Stumpy FSR Comp 29er ($3k is my limit). I am coming off my 2008 FSR Comp 26er and have been real happy with it. One thing that does concern me is the 2x10 drivetrain up front on the new Stumpy.

Climbing is something I actually enjoy and one of my better riding facets so I do not want to compromise with that part of my biking. Are the 2 rings up front inferior to the three of the Rumblefish? Why set it up like this? Granny is important to me. If anyone has any testimonials to share that would be great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the same concerns but I've just about convinced myself the Stumpy will be OK. The 2x10 is not the issue so much as the lowest gear ratio. The Stumpy Comp goes a little lower than some of the other 29ers with the 22-36 in front.

I have a chance to pick up a new 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp Carbon for $3k but I haven't been able to demo any of the others I'm considering like the Trek Rumblefish Elite and the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. Is the Stumpy Carbon a no-brainer for that price or should I consider the others with the Aluminum frame?

mtbr member
    I test rode a Medium 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp at my LBS today for $2700. I have been riding a 2008 Large 26 in wheeled, Stumpy FSR Comp and I really liked it the new 29er. I like the extra bottom bracket clearance with the 2x10 and the granny gear felt super low, which is good. Didn't have much of a chance to wind it out but I rarely used the big ring in my old Stumpy anyway. I think the Stumpy is better considering the extra travel you get and auto-sag rear shock is nice. I think I am gonna drop the hammer on it come pay day!
    The geometry seemed optimal and handling wasn't as much of an issue as other 29ers I have ridden. I think going down a frame size is going to help. I'd say test ride both before you decide. I seemed to like the Stumpy better but that is just me.

mtbr member
    ..and I test rode an aluminum frame. I would say go aluminum and throw some better wheels on and go tubeless if you wanna save weight. If you have the extra cash then go for it. I sure don't =). I do think the Stumpy FSR Comp is considerably lighter than the comparable Rumblefish and has more travel. Some good videos on are embedded on their FSR Comp page. Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am currently riding a 12 SJ.... After riding a 2x10 all season, I can't imagine going back to a 3x9. IMO 2x10 is the ideal setup. The shifting range seems to be perfect. I've been able to climb as steep as my legs will allow, and I've yet to spin it out. I'm sold on 2x10..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I tried out the same bike last weekend and liked it. I'm mostly trying to decide if the 2012 Comp Carbon at almost the same price as the 2013 aluminum is too good a deal to pass up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

stumpy 2x10

Go for the 2012. I think a few components on the 2013 have been down graded. Brakes, I believe they went down to Elixer 5's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The 2012s have Elixer 7s. I'm not sure about the shocks. The front fork is FOX Evolution on both but the 2012 adjustment lever does not have 3 distinct positions like the 2013; it is continuous. The 2012 rear shock is called a Triad II and the adjustment dial has three settings. The 2013 is not called a Triad but it looks the same. The adjustment dial on the 2013 has 3 distinct clicks and the 2012 has two clicks and a 3rd position that does not click in place.

mtbr member
    My LBS is out of 2012's already. You should be able to get an FSR Comp for considerably less than $3k though.

mtbr member
    I test rode the Stumpy with 2x10; from my point of view that's a great gear range. 22t small ring is pretty damn small up front; I did several long singletrack climbs and was never in the smallest gear. One thing to look for in 2012 vs. 2013 is the use of a clutched rear der. I'm not a huge fan of the "dangler" plastic chainguide gizmo Spec. puts on the chainstay, but I think with a Shadow Plus or Type II rear der. you'd have no problem. That's a major advantage of the 2X10: you can use a shorter-cage rear der. and you have less chainline variation, so you're less likely to drop your chain on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have 2012 Stumpy Expert and honestly it is an awesome bike. It pedals so EZ I have been thinking about making it a 1x10.

Buy it, you wont be sorry.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just switched to the Stumpy in July. It is a FANTASTIC trail bike and I have yet to find an area where it struggles. The factory wheels and tires are tubeless ready and the bike should come with the stems. Just toss in some Stans and you're good to go. The only additions I have made and were a dropper post, slightly shorter stem, and some larger tires (Purgatory 2.3 are great). One of my favorite things about this bike is the 2x10. I don't know about you, but I never used every gear on my old 3x10. The 2x10 is much easier to use and you never find yourself searching for that right gear. I couldn't imagine ever going back to a 3x10 and my next bike will most certainly be 2x10 or converted to it.

mtbr member
    You guys got me salivating at the thought of a new FSR Comp 29er. My 2008 SJ 26'er has been a great bike so I am stoked for this too! Might have to just stare at it all winter in my basement though =(

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    My LBS is out of 2012's already. You should be able to get an FSR Comp for considerably less than $3k though.
    The 2013 29er FSR Comp is a few hundred less than that at my LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playtowin View Post
    The 2013 29er FSR Comp is a few hundred less than that at my LBS
    Drop the hammer on it! Stimulate this economy a bit! haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just went from a 2012 Trek Mamba 3x9 to a 2012 Spec Epic 2x10 and the differance is amazing to me. I never ever used the big ring on the Trek so it was a waste to me, having the 2 rings up front on the Epic makes way more sense to me in the long run.

When you get into something steep the 2x10 seems to be easier to get into the right gear right away then back into the big ring once you are on level ground or downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I probably will but I'm leaning towards the 2012 because I can get the Carbon for $3k

Keep on Rockin...
    I have a 2011 Stumpy Comp with some upgrades, like wheels. That year came with a 22, 33t up front and I really like it. Love the bike. It is a sit and spin climber though, so the lower gearing works well.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I just picked up a 2012 SJ , HT tho. This is my first ever 2x10. I eat hills that I feared before. You know why I can eat them now, cause I can hit them in the right gear. I was constantly searching for the right gear or just staying in the wrong gear cause I couldnt be bothered. Honestly its great. I think the gearing is actually the best part about my new ride. I'm a bit of an amateur tho, and your price range is more then double what I paid for my SJ, so I imagine your a league above me but for what its worth 2x10 gets it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by playtowin View Post
    I have the same concerns but I've just about convinced myself the Stumpy will be OK. The 2x10 is not the issue so much as the lowest gear ratio. The Stumpy Comp goes a little lower than some of the other 29ers with the 22-36 in front.

I have a chance to pick up a new 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp Carbon for $3k but I haven't been able to demo any of the others I'm considering like the Trek Rumblefish Elite and the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. Is the Stumpy Carbon a no-brainer for that price or should I consider the others with the Aluminum frame?
    Price won't matter if you don't like the bike. Trust me, I have a almost new SJ for sale because I bought it without a test ride and a few months later took a demo ride on a Tallboy.

I order the Tallboy after the ride.

Ride as many as you can before you lay down that kind of money.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I bought my 2012 Stumpy FSR 29er last October, and I love it. I like the 2 x 10 also.

Like you I had it narrowed down to a 2011 Rumblefish (closeout bike from lbs test ride fleet) and the 2012 Stumpy. Both are really nice bikes. I would have been happy on either. 2 x 10 is fine for climbing. I got what I felt was a really good deal on a new Stumpy.
    E

Keep on Rockin...
    Something else I'd like to add regrading gearing is that I'm riding this bike with a 650B out back. That is with a 22-33t rings up front as I I said above. The smaller wheel effectively lowers the gearing. I have the bike set up moto style with a fatty 2.3 Nevegal out back and the same rubber in a 2.2" 29er up front.

With the above set up, when I'm in a 22x36 gearing the bike can climb pretty much anything. The suspension is extremely plush and active at all times, even under power when climbing, but again, it is not an out of saddle climber. It is definitely a sit and spin climber. So, point is, even with super low effective gearing... all is good.

If you we're to set this bike up more xc oriented, then the gearing might be a bit low with 22-33t rings, but you'd spot on with the 36t up front.

I've found is bike so good and so versatile I have considered picking up another of the same bike and making it a dedicated xc ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I pulled the trigger on the 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp Carbon 29er yesterday. I rode it this morning and the initial set up was much stiffer than the 2013 I demoed last weekend with the same factory recommended shock settings. It's going to take some experimentation to dial it in just right. Hopefully, the performance of the 2012 vs 2013 shocks is comparable.

To the OP - You won't have to worry about climbing with a 2x10 and the gear ratios on this bike. Especially if you lock out the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm about as out of shape as they come, the 2x10 setup on my Scalpel 29er is AWESOME. Granny gear is just as low with 24/36. I LOVE the "big" ring up front at 39T. The first ride out I noticed a drastic reduction in shifting looking for the right gear. Big fan of the 2x10.

I do wish I had slapped some form of bash gear on before taking it out. I introduced the outer ring to rocks in a serious fashion on the first ride out.

ac

mtbr member
    I am 44 years old 210 lbs and I bought a 2x10 stumpjumper last month... Not really in the best shape and the 2x10 has not affected my climbing ability at all... The bike however has made me look pretty darn good going up Ill say.. I prefer the 2x10...

Actually I wish I had a 2x7... I don't need 10 rings on my cassette...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast