mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 input

Saw this bike today at my lbs and gave it a quick ride. Felt very comfortable to me, fit was perfect. Ride was smooth and quick but didn't get to do any real trail riding with it.

Just curious how people view this bike and its capabilities. I found the components a little lacking for the price, but I am certainly not an expert. Mainly curious how it climbs and handles technical trails compared to a 650b (as I am seriously considering a Giant Trance 27.5).

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just got the Comp EVO 29 two weeks ago, and really enjoying it. I could not make up my mind between the Stump and the Santa cruz Solo (5010). I am coming from a 26 hard tail, so it was a massive change for me. I find that it requires more energy to go up the hills, but you get there faster because of the bigger wheels. It really comes alive in the descents: It goes over so much more stuff than a 26 and is much more forgiving if you pick a wrong line or end up rolling on the odd rock that you did not see. I thought the dropper post was a gadget, but I use it all the time now; it really gives you a lot more room to maneuver when descending technical terrain. Sorry I can't help you with the Trance, I have not tried it. Best way to know is to try one out and see if it fits you as well as the stump.
    Good luck!

Crash Dummy In Training
    I demoed the Yeti SB-95 Carbon with X0-1 drive train (MSRP $5,800) amazing bike.

Then that weekend I demoed the Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Carbon S-Works with the XO-1 drive train (MSRP $9,500) Nice bike.

But I really liked the Yeti much better and I would recommend trying the Yeti SB-95 Comp (MSRP $2,900) see how you like it specs are about the same as The FSR.

Check the web sites of both bikes and see if they are having demo's in your area it will be worth your time.

Also Specialized sent me a coupon for $100 off a new bike purchase about three weeks later.

I'm waiting to see if Yeti sends a coupon also.
    Last edited by PauLCa916; 06-06-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That would be the SB-95 Comp. The Enduro is $1000 more.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That would be the SB-95 Comp. The Enduro is $1000 more.
    Thanks fixed it.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Been riding a stump fsr elite since last fall, here are my thoughts.... Much faster once up to speed over my previous fs 26r. Slow twitchy single track takes some getting used to but now it is the same if not better. The big wheels just monster truck over stuff. It does take some getting used to but now I love the bike. It seems that suspension setup is more important in the big wheels but that may just be me. The stump is a great bike and I am happy with my purchase...

mtbr member

Love my '13 FSR 29.

Dealer upgraded to XO Trail brakes after original brakes failed.

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The stumpy is a really good bike with great geo. The components are on par with anything else you'll find the same price range with one exception.... The formula brakes are terrible. Plan on upgrading if you go with that bike. The fsr suspension rides just as you would want a full suspension to.

The trance is also a good option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    The fsr suspension rides just as you would want a full suspension to.
    Lots of pedal bob?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lots of pedal bob?
    No Bob when set on trail. Do you have one?

turtles make me hot
    Not exactly what you're asking, but This is what I can add.
    In 08, I bought an expert Stumpjumper FSR 29. Had the brainshock. Aside from the wheels, the bike was awesome. After a year and a half, I cracked the frame. Speshy set me up with an 09 frame. It came with a Fox shock. I transferred all the parts to the new frame and rode it with the Fox. After a year, I wanted to have the Fox serviced so I swapped the rear thriangle with the 08 stuff and reinstalled the brain. The bike bobs slightly less with the Brainshock. Every year I swap rear shocks and still ride the bike.
    Why I'm chiming in is because as good as I think this bike has been, the newer ones are certainly better with the tapered headsets and improved rear swingarm pivot points.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    No Bob when set on trail. Do you have one?
    Exactly. It needs that platform, cause the Horst link suspension bobs a lot without it. I had one, and the bob didn't bother me enough to make me dislike the bike, but my new RIP9 without any kind of suspension platform feels like the Stumpy in trail mode. A suspension design that doesn't need the platform to help it work properly. Just as you'd want a full suspension to do.

mtbr member

I have the 2012 comp and love the bike. I've rode the trance 29 and 650b. And the stumpy will eat them alive on the decents. They both climb the same in my opinion. If you do get a trance instead of the stumpy get the longer travel sx. It's the only trance that can keep up with a stumpy on the decents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Exactly. It needs that platform, cause the Horst link suspension bobs a lot without it. I had one, and the bob didn't bother me enough to make me dislike the bike, but my new RIP9 without any kind of suspension platform feels like the Stumpy in trail mode. A suspension design that doesn't need the platform to help it work properly. Just as you'd want a full suspension to do.
    I wouldn't be happy with a bike that rode that stiff all of the time. I really like how plush it is on the downhill sections when I flip it over to descend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Oh, it's plenty plush, plusher than the Stumpy I had, I do believe. But pedalling just doesn't activate the suspension as much as it did on the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a 13, and like it quite a bit. Great on the descents, I usually keep it in climb mode though, as there is indeed some bob. It may be that I don't have it setup right, I just used the auto sag feature. I also have a 14 HT that has those same brakes, and they suck. The Avid Elixir 5's are way better. I had to swap them out to XT's.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite