mtbr member
    Dec 2007

stumpjumper fsr 29 as cross country bike?

Any input would be appreciated on this thread.

I have an opportunity to pick up a buddys lightly used 08 stumpjumper fsr 29er ( with the triad, not brain) w/ reba 29er air shock for a decent deal.

I initially wanted an Epic 29er comp but I cant find them for less than 3000 out the door, and even the white ones have parts I dont really want ( hydro brakes, non weight weenie wheelset).

Im coming from a 23 lb rigid geared 29er ( specialized globe pro), i want the lightest/ simplest FS bike I can get without breaking the bank, I dont need handmade or usa made, plus I have all of the XTR drivetrain/cockpit parts already. I dont want to constantly fiddle with the suspension. just keep the chain clean and ride.

Im not going to race, just ride as fast as I can over not very gnarly terrain. Im a finesse rider not a hucker.
    Question is: would I even notice the difference between an epic and a stump FSR?
    Im going to run a fairly aggressive position ( im a roadie at heart) so I will be streched out .

is the epic w/ brain that much better than the stump with the triad?????
    either way Im going with a reba, I have heard they are lower maintainence than a fox.

Thanks for a reply, please dont suggest other brands because its either the stump or epic
    ( resale value is high on specializeds)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I owned a 2009 Stumpy 29er (same frame as 2008) for a few weeks. My pedals were hitting the rocks all day long. I ride rocky trails and am no pro, but never had this problem on other bikes. I did some research and came across the reviews linked below. Discouraged that I wasn't the only one with the problem, I sold the bike on craigslist. It was worth the $400 hit I took. Apparently for 2010, Specialized shortened the wheelbase and raised the bottom bracket. I rented a 2010 version and sure enough the new frame fixed all the pedal strike problems. I bought a 2010 the next week, so I am not biased against this brand or bike. In fact the 2010 Stumpy FSR 29er is an incredible bike. No pedal strike issues at all. The moral of the story is... avoid the Stumpy FSR 29er unless its a 2010 or you don't ride any rocky trails. (But why would you get a Stumpy FSR if you don't ride rocky trails to begin with?) In addition to the pedal strike issue being resolved, steering responsiveness is much improved on the 2010 as well.

Beyond all of this, based on the type of riding you say you do, I wouldn't even recommend the 2010 Stumpy for you. Sounds like you're an Epic or hardtail kind of rider. The Stumpjumper is really more of an All Mountain bike than a Race type bike. It is very versatile, but if you don't ride the technical stuff, I don't see a need for it.

2008/09 Stumpy FSR 29er review.... http://www.29eronline.com/blog/?tag=...ecialized-29er

2010 Stumpy FSR 29er review....http://www.29eronline.com/blog/?p=1246

Solar Scientist
    May 2010
    I bought an Epic Comp 29 a little over a month ago and I love it. My riding is New England singletrack, roots, rocks, hills, some mud, short downhills but no long screaming CA style fireroads. The main thing I've noticed over my previous Ibis soft tail is the ability to make it much more easily up short, steeps climbs and through rock gardens. My only changes so far are a more aggressive rear tire, a fixed seatpost clamp, and a shorter carbon bar. I have no regrets getting this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aireguitar
    is the epic w/ brain that much better than the stump with the triad?????
    either way Im going with a reba, I have heard they are lower maintainence than a fox.

Thanks for a reply, please dont suggest other brands because its either the stump or epic
    ( resale value is high on specializeds)

I have a 2010 Stumpjumper 26er FSR with the Triad and a 2010 Epic 29er as well. I can tell there is no comparison between the brain suspension and the triad. It is sad how much better the brain is and how well it climbs with it. I have ridden the 2010 Stumpjumper 29er FSR as well with a brain and it rides very nice as well. I like the geometry of the epic better but that is more personal preference than ride quality.

I know where two white Epic Comp 29ers are in Oklahoma if you are anywhere near and don't mind driving.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks for the tips, this is what i appreciate about the forums, not flame wars....

Im going to hold out for a epic 29er.

Im not riding over gnarly terrain, but a bump is a bump