Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stump Jumper Comp EVO 29 vs. Scalpel 29r 3

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  NSPF1 
#1 ·
I am looking to go full suspension. The 2 bikes are the Specialized Comp Evo 29 and the Cannondale Scalpel 29r 3. I am currently riding a Giant hard tail and I am getting beaten up. I lam an intermediate rider and like drops, jumps, climbing, and short downhill. I am looking to do some longer rides and multi day ride trips and would like opinion on comfort and durability. Please advise...

#2 ·
Check out the New Giant Trance 29er. I just got one and absolutely love it. I am a 45 year old ride and an appreciate the benefits of full suspension.This bike allows me to ride faster and smoother than my old 26 inch stumpjumper and I come home without any aches and pains...

#3 ·
Seems that it is about a grand more in cost but open to consider. I am looking for ride quality and it seems like you have found that. very helpful...looking for additional thoughts as well. Thanks for taking the time to reply!! By the way I am approaching 44 so that hits close to home.

#5 ·
Scalpel vs Stumpy...

As a fellow 42yr old, the Full Suspension is key especially on the longer rides. The main diff with the 2 is the Scalpel is razor sharp (like the name implies) with less travel (more of an Ultimate XC Race Bike). It will handle most terrain you're speaking about with ease as it's unique suspension seems truly bottomless. It's almost magic how a 100mm travel can feel so plush and not have a harsh bottom.

On the other hand, the Stumpy will have alot more travel at 130mm. Is an inch of travel really going to make that much of a diff? Depends on your weight and how high the drops?? The stumpy will handle well as it's designed around a very low BB and short rear stays.

From a recent ride on the new Camber 29'r, I felt like I was sitting too much in the back seat. I had the Auto Sag set correct for my height/weight (6'6''/210), but it still felt like the handle bars where high compared to where my weight settled when seated and pedalling. Dont' get me wrong, even the Campber with less travel still climed and gobbled up the downhills like I was playing Steve McQueen in Bullit.

Personally, if you're into handling and carving and weight is a factor, go with the Scaplel. If you're thinking more aggressive drops and need the travel do the Stumpy. I don't believe you'll regret either ride. Both are awesome bikes.

#6 ·
I have been riding a 2013 Stumpjumper carbon comp FSR 29er for a couple of months now. It is an extremely versatile bike, have been on three rides of 50km with my group, mostly XC in the forest. Had one very technical outing of about 30km, steep and rocky. Have been on the bike on my local trails 2-3 times per week as well.

The bike rolls really well, I note that I pedal less than the group riders to go the same speed. It climbs better than my old HT 26 incher which includes a short steep section in my local trails that I now clear every time which was never the case before.

Downhills are a pleasure, the bike flys, the suspension is really well sorted out. I find myself looking further down the trails than I used to, setting up for turns early, point the bike in and it just holds its line, almost feels like being on a motocross bike again (which I haven't done since 1979!)

The Evo leans a little more towards the AM spectrum than the rest of the Stump 29 FSR line, if most of your riding is truly in the mountains then it is an excellent choice, if not the rest of the stump line might be the better option.

#7 ·
46yo here and tested the Scalpel versus the Epic, not the Sj. And my road bike is a Spesh Tarmac; my Tri bike a Cannondale Slice. I chose the Scalpel. IMO Scalpel is more of an XC flow ride versus the AM cruiser on the Sj, so riding style will drive this decision, but when I took the time to learn more about the Lefty, it was a big factor for me. The new upgrades on the lefty fork are a big deal, so insist on a 2013 or else the decision is even tougher. Hard to go wrong with this decision. Happy trails.

#8 ·
The Scalpel was on my test day a better bike as it felt lighter, nimbler & the only other bike I would consider is the Scott Spark now also in 29.

As the last reply the new 2013 bikes come with a better lefty fork adding to the travel. If its comfort you want these bikes will add more to the deal. Just change the saddles as the originals were what pained the most ;)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.