Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stubby Stems

mtbr member

Stubby Stems

I'm talking about 70mm reach and under stems.

This trend has been building for a while and I still haven't jumped on. I actually have a couple of short stems laying around so I guess I'll have to throw one on a bike and see for myself how it rides.

But up until now I haven't done so because I assume that it's going to make the bike climb poorly and steer too quickly. At least on the steep stuff. Seems like it would make for a light front end that didn't track as well.

I just read through most of that Chromag thread and noticed that they seem to be all about really short stems and that vid of the guy riding one that starts with gong across the rr tracks is certainly running a short stem. But then basically the whole video only shows him going down stuff. Which could be said of 90% of the videos out there. They are almost always about going down rather than up. My point being that maybe people really like going down hills a lot more than going up so that is what they build for and then suffer the ups.

Personally I like going down hills too but my favorite thing to do on a mountain bike is cleaning a really technical super steep climb that is hard enough that you don't always make it or at least it takes a few tries the first time until you get it dialed, but you are always on the edge of not making it unless you are really on.

Also on that same Chromag thread one guy said he wanted a long top tube so he could run a short stem. Why is this better than a normal top tube and a normal stem? Or is that just one opinion?

Then the other thought is that bike trends emerge and grow at times like fashion. Everybody starts buying something because everybody else is buying the same thing and it becomes a given where there really isn't much behind the decision other than Johnie has one and he is a good rider so I want one too. Sometimes function and fashion go hand in hand because it really seems to be a better way to go. Like tubeless or wider bars.

So for those who have thought their decision through and have tried different stem lengths and have settled on a short stem as their final choice how did you arrive at this decision and how does it work overall, not just on the way down?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    I'm talking about 70mm reach and under stems.

... my favorite thing to do on a mountain bike is cleaning a really technical super steep climb that is hard enough that you don't always make it or at least it takes a few tries the first time until you get it dialed, but you are always on the edge of not making it unless you are really on.

So for those who have thought their decision through and have tried different stem lengths and have settled on a short stem as their final choice how did you arrive at this decision and how does it work overall, not just on the way down?
    I had always run a 110mm stem and then about 4 years ago I started to tackle steep, rougher descents and it was pretty clear that a short stem would help, however I did not want to compromise too much because I really enjoy the technical ups. I bought a cheap 50mm, 70mm and 90mm stem to see what worked best for me. I found that with a 70mm stem my technical ups and downs both improved. On truly technical climbs a short stem allows you to lift the front over trail obstacles much easier than the 110mm stem does.

Harmonius Wrench
    A lot of the short stem/longer top tube thing is about weight distribution. Getting your weight back over the rear tire more has obvious benefits for gravity oriented stuff.

In 29"ers, it allows for a more easily lofted front end, if that is important to you. One thing that a short stem will also do is it will un-weight your front wheel slightly, so going too short may be a detriment on an XC/trail bike used primarily for single track.

Slack head angles, (sub 70 degrees), long travel forks, and down hill oriented bikes will be best served by a short, stubby stem. Some 29"ers may also benefit from that if the riding style prefers an easily lofted front end, otherwise a bit longer stem would be better for most trail riders.

That's all a generalization, and exceptions exist, but that's how I understand it.

mtbr member
    The only time I ever had a real bike fitting when buying new was for a Blur in the end 90 was the right length for that bike.

When I built up my first 29r I choose to try a 60 it just looked right for the bike. I liked it right away. I have it inverted on my Gunnar and I am quite happy with the set up.

I can climb fine I feel it's all about getting the right balance. Moving the body back or forward at the right time traction vs getting the front wheel up and over something and then getting my body weight forward once the front wheel is up.

And I feel much more confident on drops, and that used to be a weak point for me.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    .... Sometimes function and fashion go hand in hand because it really seems to be a better way to go. Like tubeless or wider bars.

It would appear that you have, like many 29" riders, decided that wider bars work better because of the greater leverage for the bigger front wheel. If you are using a wider bar, you will automatically be leaning slightly forward. To compensate and to get your upper body in the position you like a shorter stem is required.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Not smart enough to shift
    I love the effect that a shorter stem has on my bikes. I actually put a short (read sub 90mm) on my first 29er and first single speed. It was a 75mm stem and it just made the bike some alive. Since then all of my 29ers have had around a 70mm stem. My custom built Black Cat wears a 70mm stem and 750mm wide bars. It is a fantastic upgrade in my opinion. 29ers like to be leaned more than steered per say, so the short stem helps quicken them up. Everyone that I know that thought 29ers in general were slow handling and not playful feeling changed their tune after trying a short stem.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,
    Andy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I just read through most of that Chromag thread and noticed that they seem to be all about really short stems and that vid of the guy riding one that starts with gong across the rr tracks is certainly running a short stem.
    Chromags rep is based on winning events like the Samurai of SIngletrack races- 10k' up to FR descent stage races, 2-3 days of that. Crazy to do that much climbing in a day with a 50mm stem? Even crazier to tackle some of those FR descents on a hardtail!

Riders like that demonstrate that climbing ability is all about technical skill and fitness. Stem length has little to do with it.

I'm running short stems & wide bars on all my mountain bikes and totally prefer the handling. It did take me a while (many years ago) to adjust- you rely more on core strength to hold your torso up, less leaning on the bars. No problem on tech climbs.

Just my .02c

mtbr member
    I went from a 90mm to 70mm stem on my Tallboy. I prefer the 70mm in almost every way, better stability, agility, smoothness and control. It just feels like I can manhandle technical trails a little easier.

However, I have to endure more saddle rape to make it up climbs that were easier with a 90mm stem.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Ronnie and FM are right, bar and stem have to be considered together and have less to do with climbing than technique and fitness do.

A wide bar on a long stem feels pretty awful to me, a narrow bar with a short stem is just as bad. So just switching one will likely not put you in the sweet spot.

Narrow bars and long stems obviously work since we have been locked to them since the early 90s, but short stems and wide bars are being discovered as having the same correct feel but with much more leverage over the front wheel and better handling going down.

Going shorter and wider might not work on your current frame size. It could cramp the cockpit and put you over the back of the bike, which will have other repercussions. I have gone from Med to Large frames now that I am fully committed to short and wide.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have always used sub 70mm stem on my DH bikes, but then got into XC and used 120mm stems and narrow flat bars for years... For the first time ever I have gone for a wide Salsa Pro Moto with 17deg sweep which feels great. The problem is my 100mm stem is too short as my hands are almost in line with the steerer, effectively a direct mount MX stem! The bike fits me, but I'm not too sure how to get around this, I don't want to put a 130mm stem on to get my hands in the right place. Luckily my On-one has a long TT, but I think Ritcheys 10D might be the solution. What do you guys run with your big sweep bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

Going shorter and wider might not work on your current frame size. It could cramp the cockpit and put you over the back of the bike, which will have other repercussions. I have gone from Med to Large frames now that I am fully committed to short and wide.

JMH
    That was kind of what I was thinking. I usually ride medium frames at 5 10. I did buy a large Canfield Jedi because I wanted the longer top tube since I was setting it up for cross country. I run a long stem upside down on that bike to compensate for the high headtube and 180 fork. It actually works pretty well for everything short of serious downhill. If I was going to go to a park I would change things around. I run a wide bar too. However on med xc bikes I'm afraid that the short stem might do just what you are saying and a new bike is not in the budget for a while.

But with so much positive feedback I'm going to have to try it. Unfortunately to really test it out I'm going to have to wait until spring.

mtbr member
    I tried a 100mm, 90mm, 70mm and 65mm on my rigid bike and found that the 65mm stem and a nice wide bar works best for me. It takes a lot of weight off of the hands and makes the front of the bike easier to lift over obstacles. My hands and arms don't take as much of a beating now.

The front end is a little light on the climbs, but I think that the trade off is worth it for this application.

If I ever switched back to a suspension fork, I would consider a longer stem. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My 29er had a 90mm stem on it and I always felt my hands getting sore after a short while. I swapped it out for a 60mm stem and my hands feel much better - presumably due to the slight shift in weight distribution. It has also quickened up the steering a lot.

Powered by ice cream.
    I arrived at the decision by trying it.

I liked it, found zero problems climbing the same tech stuff, so I stayed short & stubby. It works fine.

Short stems like wide bars though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    I really like to understand the reasons behind the feelings so let's see if this makes any sense in defense of the short stem/wide bars and bigger frame idea.

Ok.. so with a shorter stem the relationship of where your hands are compared to the front axle will be farther back and that should help with lessening the tendency to go over the bars on a steep downhill. That is fixed.

The wider bars put your center of gravity a bit farther forward but the axle is still farther in front of the bar center than with a long stem.

Everyone says that wider bars are pretty much mandatory and along with putting your center of gravity farther forward they will also slow up the steering somewhat because you are having to move the grip farther to get the same result at the stem. I don't know what the mathematical relationship between bar width and stem length is for steering response but let's say that going from a 610mm bar to a 710mm bar may be the same as going from a 110mm stem to a 80mm stem. (710/80 = 610/110) Just a guess.

People are also saying a jump up in frame size is a good idea so if you throw in a large vs med Yelli Screamy the effective top tube is 24.5 for the lrg and 23.75 for the med. That's going to be roughly 20mm added to the effective stem length in relation to the cranks/saddle/rear axle with the large.

So if a 110mm stem with 610mm bars feels about the same as an 80mm stem on 710 bars and a large frame adds another effective 20mm to the stem length in the end you could say that a 710 bar on a large frame with a 60mm stem should feel about the same as a 610 bar on a med frame with a 110 stem. In other words about like a normal mtbike in pedaling, climbing and steering but with a more confidence inspiring relationship to the front axle to keep you from going over the bars as often and more leverage for steering from the wider bars.

Of course that relationship to the front axle will affect things a bit too but maybe not too much and people are saying the trade off is worth it.

Does that make sense? Maybe some of the brainiacs will join in.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    A wide bar on a long stem feels pretty awful to me, a narrow bar with a short stem is just as bad. So just switching one will likely not put you in the sweet spot.
    Right!

I found that a short stem and a narrow bar (typical XC race bar) on all of my bikes just made the front wheel kind of flop from side to side, rather than turn. But I like bars in the 640-660mm width range with 105-120mm length.

BB

Plays with tools
    For 80% of people stem length is about fit. The other 20% either don't know any better or are DH'ers/huckers. and are more concerned with handling than the last bit of cockpit length

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    For 80% of people stem length is about fit. The other 20% either don't know any better or are DH'ers/huckers. and are more concerned with handling than the last bit of cockpit length
    I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, but people here aren't recommending compromising proper fit just for certain handling characteristics. What most are saying is that "fit" is a multi-faceted concept where stem length needs to change when bar width changes in order to still fit properly. Stem angle, stem spacers, bar rise, etc all factor in to what the "correct" stem length is too. There isn't just one single correct fit for a given person on a given bike.
    Last edited by boomn; 02-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.