Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strava changes

mtbr member

Strava changes

Anyone noticed they stopped posting leader board results for many segments? They say its due to dangerous terain. In my area strava even blocked a 1.1 mile climb... How is a 6 mph ascent dangerous? I personally like Strava as a training tool. Motivation to climb a section faster than before combined with a peer comparison was valuable. A simple map with a route timer is meaningless. In fact there are other aps that are much better if segment data is truly gone.

I get the dangers of guys riding out of control. Just seems crazy that the aps key feature is disabled due to a few idiots. Haters pile on here...

mtbr member
    If I never hear anyone yell Strava! again, it won't hurt my feelings. If I do hear it again, I might do the same thing I did last time, situation permitting. I yelled back "up hill traffic" (and I was, they were riding down) and kept going. They were so surprised I didn't yield the trail, they stopped on the low side of the trail, and tried to put their low side foot down as well. They fell over and rolled off the side of the hill about 15 feet....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If I never hear anyone yell Strava! again, it won't hurt my feelings.
    Wait, you mean you've actually encountered someone who yells "Strava"? WTF is wrong with people I regularly engage in shooting for KOM's, but I always shut it down at the first sight of another person.

Love the story about ditch dude. Priceless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't like this Big Brother/policing/lets-make-the-world-safer stuff going on with Strava.....

mtbr member
    I am blessed to never have heard an idiot yelling Strava, expecting me to jump out of his way as he races toward glory. It would not go well.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I don't like this Big Brother/policing/lets-make-the-world-safer stuff going on with Strava.....
    Tell that to the family that sued Strava when their son died trying for a KOM...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GasX View Post
    Tell that to the family that sued Strava when their son died trying for a KOM...
    Well if that's the case maybe we shouldn't have segments and leaderboards at all, not even private ones since we humans can't be trusted to do anything in a safe manner. **** we may as well not even have bikes anymore, too dangerous. Or even cars..... or even run marathons. WE may as well not do ANYTHING for the sake of what COULD happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Does this only affect 29ers?
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What do you think about a new game, a mt. bike version of Marco Polo where the response to anyone yelling "strava" is "douchebag"? I'd love to try it but I imagine it will seem to rude in real life and I'll just keep my mouth shut. I'll sure be thinking it though.

mtbr member
    He died while riding his bike in an out of control manner. Why is Strava liable?

Formerly of Kent
    Are you in some way implying that Strava is at fault here?

It was his choice. No one but he, the user, made it for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    He died while riding his bike in an out of control manner. Why is Strava liable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Are you in some way implying that Strava is at fault here?

It was his choice. No one but he, the user, made it for him.
    They're not... but they still have to spend lots of money defending the charge and lawsuit.

And, with our jury system inclined to buy a slick lawyer's argument and remove any responsibility for having common sense and looking to the deep pockets to pay, they may wind up shelling out a lot more if it goes to court.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Formerly of Kent
    I could have sworn that one already got thrown out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If I never hear anyone yell Strava! again, it won't hurt my feelings. If I do hear it again, I might do the same thing I did last time, situation permitting. I yelled back "up hill traffic" (and I was, they were riding down) and kept going. They were so surprised I didn't yield the trail, they stopped on the low side of the trail, and tried to put their low side foot down as well. They fell over and rolled off the side of the hill about 15 feet....
    Idiots are everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    They're not... but they still have to spend lots of money defending the charge and lawsuit.

And, with our jury system inclined to buy a slick lawyer's argument and remove any responsibility for having common sense and looking to the deep pockets to pay, they may wind up shelling out a lot more if it goes to court.
    Or they pay more due to loss of revenue caused by the decision to reduce/remove the best feature of there product.

mtbr member
    ^ Hard to lose revenue when most of your users don't pay to use the app.
    Signature

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I am blessed to never have heard an idiot yelling Strava, expecting me to jump out of his way as he races toward glory. It would not go well.
    I cant say the same as I have heard someone yell STRAVAAAAAA! I'm damaged goods...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Hard to lose revenue when most of your users don't pay to use the app.
    I am sure they are pitching the ap based on the future ability to monitize the user base. This can happen via advertising, data sharing, or fees. A decline in the user base or frequency of usage will result in a lower "value" for the company.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    Does this only affect 29ers?
    Yeah, leaderboards still show up for those with 26", so you're ok and free to yell Strava all you want...

...j/k.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Basically the world is filled with morons who blame everything on everyone else..... I love ripping down segments on the edge of a whipe out..... Isn't that my choice? A app didn't force me to make those decisions so if I die its my fault and that's it... It's just like the commercials putting disclaimers at the end..... if someone try's to backflip there truck...then the world is prolly better off without them .... To much nerf padding on the world...... I saw one of my friends fracture his skull and go into seizures when I was a kid..... He almost lost his life but it taught me a valuable lesson....life is short...accidents happen....be as careful as possible......but don't live scared of everything....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I am sure they are pitching the ap based on the future ability to monitize the user base. This can happen via advertising, data sharing, or fees. A decline in the user base or frequency of usage will result in a lower "value" for the company.
    This is, of course, completely based on the assumption that enough of the user base will be as offended as you for something so trivial. The option to randomly and anonymously flag segments has been around since day one, yet they continue to grow. This really is no different.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can see why several of the segments I've seen flagged around here are that way. One is a fairly sharp downhill with a blind corner at the bottom on a 2-way trail. I'm always apprehensive about approaching that one even without knowing some ***hole with strava is flying down it trying to better his time. Another was a road segment with a steep downhill and a stop sign in the middle. I realize that people probably aren't going to come to a complete stop, but again, having someone trying to better their time on that one is stupid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    Basically the world is filled with morons who blame everything on everyone else..... I love ripping down segments on the edge of a whipe out..... Isn't that my choice? A app didn't force me to make those decisions so if I die its my fault and that's it... It's just like the commercials putting disclaimers at the end..... if someone try's to backflip there truck...then the world is prolly better off without them .... To much nerf padding on the world...... I saw one of my friends fracture his skull and go into seizures when I was a kid..... He almost lost his life but it taught me a valuable lesson....life is short...accidents happen....be as careful as possible......but don't live scared of everything....
    Grabbing life by the balls and kicking it in the ass is all good - as long as it's done without endangering for others.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senorjax View Post
    What do you think about a new game, a mt. bike version of Marco Polo where the response to anyone yelling "strava" is "douchebag"? I'd love to try it but I imagine it will seem to rude in real life and I'll just keep my mouth shut. I'll sure be thinking it though.
    /thread
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Before I used Strava I would always ride on the edge of my limit and sometimes over. I am a firm believer that if you never crash as a beginner then you aren't going to get any faster or break through any boundaries. After I found Strava I do the same thing. I am actually riding within my limits more now as I am getting a better idea of where that limit is. If I ever see other trail users I have always shut it down in favor of safety.

So,....again how is Strava a bad thing? It seems to me that jerks were jerks before and after Strava, they just have a new word in their vocabulary.

If someone was screaming by me while I was climbing up a hill I wouldn't be happy or care whether they were using Strava or not, I would probably push them off the trail as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast