Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Steel vs. Ti

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    but that is exactly the way a bike moves forward. You push on the crank that pulls the chain which turns the cassette which turns the wheel that makes the bike move forward.
    Any flex anywhere through that process results in wasted energy. No?
    I'm not arguing with you, I'm asking a question.
    It gets a little involved...
    Short version is that stiffer may feel faster but it may not be faster.

As for steel vs. Ti, if money were no object I'd go with the latter, it's a bit lighter and it doesn't rust. Ride quality might be a bit better too, but I can't make a 100% fair comparison since the Ti bikes I rode were state of the art custom builds whereas the steel ones were high-end production frames. As nice as they are, it's not exactly fair to put a Kona Explosif or DeKerf Team 853 up against a Seven Cycles Sola SLX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I'm sorry, but I can't explain it in any more basic a way than I already have.
    That's ok Walt. You explained it fine. I didn't mean to completely veer this thread of course but oh well, sometimes that happens.
    I'll just say that a soft bb, crank arm, wheelset, handlebar, stem, etc FEELS like I'm wasting energy. If it was solid and had less give to it when I hit the gas I think the bike would move faster.
    Also as far as studies go, I'd love to see who puts more force/energy into a bike frame, a 250 pound fat ass or a fit 150 racer. I'd put my money on the little fit guy.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i think feel has A LOT to do with it
    if you want a stiffer bike, then it will give you more confidence. allow you to push harder
    if you desire are more compliant bike, then that will give you more confidence

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Also as far as studies go, I'd love to see who puts more force/energy into a bike frame, a 250 pound fat ass or a fit 150 racer. I'd put my money on the little fit guy.
    also consider power to weight ratio
    even if the heavier rider can output a couple % more watts, it doesn't offset the more than 50% difference in weight

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    yeah, I'd guess it isn't just hte power down, but the weight resisting movement. Power down with brakes on will show up frame distortion more than a light weight guy acclerating away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey Walt. How do you feel about stiffness on the chainstay? Like twisting forces esp. I'm just curious, I like the way you think

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3