Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Steel AM Hardtail

5K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  PanFry 
#1 · (Edited)
So here is the latest incarnation of my beautiful MCR9

I must say it is a buttery smooth ride and borders on the feel of a short travel FS! For most Local Trails (N.GA), I keep it set @ 95mm. but for more of the rougher N. GA/W. NC I bump the travel to 120mm. and just flow.

LOVE

Check out the previous version:

I love this set-up as well, but needed more of an AM rig for Fall/Winer hence the TALAS & Gravity Dropper (which are both absolutely incredible).

Thanks For Looking!

PF

*I have since adjusted the saddle back a bit, the photo was taken pre-ride..

See less See more
#6 ·
Awesome

especially w/my 35" inseam it comes in handy BIG TIME with decending/cornering.

HIGHLY recommended and as unattractive as some find Gravity Droppers, I personally believe them to be the best.

PF

#4 ·
While you may ride this all over the mountain, and it is a nice bike, it's not what is considered as an all-mountain bike. Maybe if it had a shorter stem, longer travel fork, a slacker head angle, and a stronger frame. Basically you have an XC bike with a dropper seatpost.

#5 ·
really?

Stem-I am 6'5"

Fork- It's a TALAS 120mm. (The AM Niner RIP9 is spec'd w/a 120mm.)

Head Tube Angle- @ 120mm. it is 70dg. The RIP9 is 70.5 w/120mm.

It's a Steel Frame, it's plenty strong.

The SE version of AM might differ from that of out West but I ride it just as hard as I did when I lived on the Front Range (Boulder/Ft. Collins).

Just Sayin'

PF

#12 ·
So here is the latest incarnation of my beautiful MCR9

I must say it is a buttery smooth ride and borders on the feel of a short travel FS! For most Local Trails (N.GA), I keep it set @ 95mm. but for more of the rougher N. GA/W. NC I bump the travel to 120mm. and just flow.

LOVE

Check out the previous version:

I love this set-up as well, but needed more of an AM rig for Fall/Winer hence the TALAS & Gravity Dropper (which are both absolutely incredible).

Thanks For Looking!

PF

*I have since adjusted the saddle back a bit, the photo was taken pre-ride..
Very nice

#16 ·
Kashima

It's the Kashima branding. Seeing as they are a separate company it is only fitting that their logo/brand be on their specific contribution to the fork.

The saddle was adjusted to proper position before riding btw.

PF

#18 ·
Stems too long, and seats too far forward to be considered a 'proper' AM style HT. Go from a 120 to a 100, and slide back that seat. You'll be in the same position, and a better one for going downhill.

FWIW, I'm 6'5" as well, and the above set up is what I run.

oh. And it is a pretty swweet set up. I'd ride it.

#21 ·
Stems too long, and seats too far forward to be considered a 'proper' AM style HT. Go from a 120 to a 100, and slide back that seat. You'll be in the same position, and a better one for going downhill.

FWIW, I'm 6'5" as well, and the above set up is what I run.

oh. And it is a pretty swweet set up. I'd ride it.
The seat as stated @ the bottom of my initial post was adjusted properly before I actually rode it.. I am well aware of proper downhill riding position and saddle placement. Btw, the fork is set @ 120mm. for my version of "AM".

#22 ·
really?

I am sure I would be met with the same ridiculous disdain that some of you have expressed in this thread. I built a solid bike that is completely capable of AM riding and just wanted to share some pics as I love looking @ everyone else's. I, in no way care about fitting into some category or impressing anybody by posting. Promise.

PF

#26 ·
Hey PF, nice bike, bet it rides much different compared to setup with the rigid 470mm fork :D How's the handling feel, does it feel about the same with the greater offset of the Fox compared to the niner or is a tad faster or slower? I'd imagine it's probably a more stable ride, especially on the down, but that your steering precision and quickness hasn't suffered.

Just curious, do you ride it up the hill/mtn and then back down? If so then to me it's AM, although I much prefer a bike actually designed for the purpose with a more robust frame and angles intentionally designed that way, not modified using fork A2C, but if it's working for you, then that's all that's important. Just a thought, if you like it in this configuration, then you seriously ought to consider a frame that was really designed for this type of riding, fork length etc., something like the Paradox, Yelli, Nimble or Honzo.
I can tell you it inspires a lot more confidence to know that the frame was designed for forks in the 120-140mm travel range and that the HT won't maybe fail because you're running one of those forks, I know I set my KM up with my 120 Minute and while I liked how it rode, it was not designed around that long a fork and I constantly worried about the stress on the HT.

#27 ·
Right on

Yeah, it is a pretty smooth ride and I really enjoy the option of having a 70dg. HTA @ 120mm. on some of the steeper stuff I ride up in N.GA/W.NC. Additionally, being able to run it @ 95mm. on some of my faster XC courses is amazing w/quicker steering. I am in love with this fork! My last few forks have been REBA XX and a 2010 FOX 120mm. on my last RIP9 (About to build another w/the 140 TALAS). Honestly though, I love those AM specific HT's but I just really wanted to work with what I had and when the new RIP is done I will likely go back to rigid on the MCR. Just having a bit of fun @ the moment! Although, that Banshee is pretty damn sweet, certainly makes me give it another thought.. I was really hoping that NINER would go live with the HIT9.. THAT would be flippin' killer!

Be Well,

PF

#28 ·
PanFry, while admiring your photos, I found myself wondering what you're using for bar plugs on that setup? I love my Ergon GA1's on my EMD but I hate the included plugs. Also, would it be impolite to ask about the durability of your saddle?

#31 ·
Sram

I use SRAM road bar tape plugs, they are the only ones I have used with the NINER carbon bar. As far as the saddle goes, it's a FIZIK Gobi and I have been riding them for years. Such a great saddle, I highly recommend.

PF

#30 ·
I like it!

I see where you're coming from as my MCR dares me to take chances and try worse and worse lines. I gradually went from a long and low ascent-oriented "XC" cockpit to a more "AM" style short and tall (or "sit up and beg" as described in another thread) cockpit that opens up more possibilities for attacking descents rather than just enduring them. And it still climbs like a pitbull!

An AM-specific frame (N9?) would certainly be better (slightly), but to "run what you brung" the MCR will work nicely. Just try not to break your rear drive-side drop out :mad:.

I would hitch a ride to the top of Windy Gap and let 'er rip. :rockon:
Although, if you're AM, you'll pedal it up there. :D

-F

#33 ·
I like it. Many AM bikes are overkill (well, depending on your trails). This seems like it would still be fun on less difficult trails yet still allow you to point and shoot on some of the harder stuff - to a point.

If you have money to blow, try the Niner carbon forkl when you go back to rigid. It feels like an old school 50mm fork without the downsides.

#34 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, I still have a standard non-tapered nude carbon fork from my old EMD. I am a pretty big fan of the NINER Steel fork on the MCR/SIR so I won't likely put it on.

Such a fun bike though!

Thanks,

PF

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.