Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Steel 29er recommend

6K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  sikocycles 
#1 ·
I just sold my first full suspension bike. I had my specialized camber for about 6 months and rode it a lot. But I've been riding for over 25 years (44 y/o) and I just didn't like riding the tank and I'm excited to go back to hardtail. After having aluminum, then carbon, then full suspension, I want to go back to a real bike and build a really nice steel bike. So your opinions are welcomed.

Steel bike recommendations?

Non-custom frames that I'm looking at:
Salsa El Mariachi ~$2000 complete
Ritchey P-29 (really like this one) ~$900 frame
Niner ROS (more aggressive geometry - not sure about that) ~$900 frame

#3 ·
Niner doesn't make the MCR any longer, at least according to their current website. I guess I didn't realize the SIR9 could also be geared but after checking it out, it can be either ss or geared. Excellent option.

I'll check the others out too. Thanks!

#5 ·
There's also the Jamis Dragon and the Kona Honzo. If you were interested in aggressive AM hardtails like the Niner ROS9 or Honzo, there is also the Canfield Nimble 9. I have a Honzo and a SIR9 myself. I prefer the SIR9 for normal XC trails, especially if they are super twisty, which is most of the trails I usually ride. But if the trail has lots of big rocks, drops, or jumps, then the Honzo is the way to go.

#15 ·
Agreed, I have a Spot Honey Badger and it is incredible.
It is a single speed but they have a geared version too.

Also been thinking about adding a 1x10 Hard Tail to the quiver and the Kona Honzo is on the top of the charts. Either that or another HB and run an internal geared hub with a belt drive.

#14 ·
Size XL. Open for other offers though - Frame or complete bike.

The more research I do the more I'm starting to like the idea of the AM hardtail geometry like the Niner ROS, Transition Trans AM, and Canfield Nimble. Sounds like it might be the perfect all around bike setup?

#19 ·
Niner ROS (more aggressive geometry - not sure about that) ~$900 frame
I ended up more unsure of EBB design than the modern AM geometry.

Several or at least a hand full of bikes have that geometry (modern/AM/fun/low/slack/short cs) and best chance of trying it is probably a Kona dealer just because of dealer network size.

So far that style bike has been more fun and used more than I ever expected, but I'm not on one style rider. It lets me have big wheel advantage XC riding and also go steep, jump, pump track and get 90 deg sideways.

Friends who own or owned TranAM have loved them the way I do my Honzo. If I had fancier, special or boutique in mind I'd move up the food chain to a Nimble 9 or a Walt Works custom.

I don't know about your riding but my assessment of this new style is they're optimized for control and handling if a traditional bike's optimized for grunting out a race or traction to the rear wheel. The minor adjustment of weight climbing has been worth what I get in handling and fun.

Have fun!

#20 ·
I'm starting to think about a '14 El Mar. I like the combo of a short rear end but still something reasonably quick up front--I think that would work well for my local trails (twisty, not a lot of downhills) Of course, the KM is similar, but I'm still recovering from the horrors of track ends + discs on my Krampus.

I tried an AM type bike and really didn't like it for my style of riding. If you can, try to demo this type of geometry before you commit.

#26 ·
It appears you did that with a longer stem, and I have no idea what bar length you used. It still may be the bike is not for you, but I noticed all the difference in the world when my move to slack, low and shorter chain stays included shorter stem and wider bars.

if you dont get the ROS 9 (or similar), you're gonna make a big mistake
short rear , slack front is where it is at
A little time getting used to short stems and wide bars made all the difference for me. My Covert is more of a granddaddy for modern geometry, by park bike has it, same for the Honzo. Short stems and wider bars really made a big difference.

#21 ·
An El Mariachi with a 120mm fork is a blast to ride fast in the chunk. I ride an XL 2013 El Mariachi Ti and it rips. Salsa is one of those brands where it almost makes more sense to build from a frame, as the complete parts specs are a little lacking for price. The steel rides a little softer than the Ti frame, but by no means is it a wet noodle. I really like the alternator drop outs, as I go back and forth between SS and Geared. They are much nicer than sliders. If you are looking for a similar thing but only intend to run it geared, I think the new Karate Monkey frame from Surly has a new modular drop out system that will allow you to run a thru axle or vertical drop outs.

#27 ·
I've always ridden with a really long stem 100-120, XC style. The short stem and slacked headtube will be a big change for me in a hardtail. How do you hunker down and grind on the flats with a bike like this? That was part of my frustration with my FS Camber. I rode a few miles on road to get to a trail and felt like I was riding a cruiser and I couldn't put my head down and go.

#28 ·
I just don't put any thought to it at all. I just bend my elbows when I want to cut the wind, and notice I have less or no more problems with numb hands and sore neck for added bonus. It seems like this bike style gets the "attack position" with ease. Maybe my bikes with this style stem and bar are just designed right for me or my old for mountain biking age.

This no way means I'm saying this is right for you. You should delay gratification and try all sorts of bikes to know what's right for you. Go fund some demo days at trail heads or places that rent late model bikes for a great way to know what might be right.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.