mtbr member

... and if we just ... Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)

CFG cromo 29er frame <100 bucks! @amazon .... How crazy am I ?
    Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-71-guefxdnl._sl1500_.jpgSteel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-71jbbyo0q-l._sl1500_.jpg

So I just upgraded my 29er, and noticed that I'm just short a frame and a couple odds and ends to build a rigid 29er. But I don't want to fall into another money pit. I figure if I can get my hands on a cheap enough steel frame, I could have another 29er rigid, with cheap parts but another bike! So I was on ebay trying to find a cheap karate monkey, or soma juice and I couldn't find a steel 29er frame for less than 150 shipped, which is what I promised myself I will not spend a penny more on. Any one every heard of these frames? There is only 1 review and he was happy. How bad could they be? Anyone have any other Ideas?

B.Ike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    what does that mean?

B.Ike
    its a misprint. must be 70.6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Misprint was my first thought, too. Odd that a couple of other sites selling the frame have the HTA as 60.6 as well though.

https://www.desertcart.com/products/...m-hunter-green

http://cycles.yikus.com/cfg-cycle-fo...unter-hfzm5em/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Misprint was my first thought, too. Odd that a couple of other sites selling the frame have the HTA as 60.6 as well though.

https://www.desertcart.com/products/...m-hunter-green

http://cycles.yikus.com/cfg-cycle-fo...unter-hfzm5em/
    the desert cart looks like an amazon drop ship, even has the same review. .
    and both sites have that cheesy " do it yourself" line, wonder if its the same typo... still its very tempting...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Cycle Force Group factory store website also says 60.6.

Cycle Force | Cro-mo MTB 29 Frame 20inch

The second link has email and phone number for CFG at the bottom of the page. Might be worth asking them about it.

www.bikeaidonline.com

mtbr member

The second link has email and phone number for CFG at the bottom of the page. Might be worth asking them

www.bikeaidonline.com
    I think I'll try to call them, I'm starting to think the typo might be 66, they have an aluminum 29er frame with a hta of 67... which is close to cromomag surface, which I think might be awesome!
    Last edited by madpanda; 07-17-2014 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can't be much more ponderous than my Honzo, which a lot of riders love, at nearly seven pounds for the frame (I know there are other factors which influence ride characteristics). Probably, I'm too old/infirm/spoiled by light 26ers for the Honzo.

mtbr member
    Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-image003.jpg

The second link has email and phone number for CFG at the bottom of the page. Might be worth asking them about it.

www.bikeaidonline.com
    So I called that number you suggested and got a hold of a Jen who sent me a drawing of the frame (Super awesome cs) It looks like the HTA is 71 degrees and the seat tube is 73 Just like my VC Motivator (hard to see because of the low res)

mtbr member
    Did you find out how much it weighs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    No, didn't think, but I pulled the trigger since a Zion I was watching on ebay slipped beyond my budget.. I will get it in tomorrow(amazon prime rocks), I will try to get it weighed, and report in!

mtbr member
    Great thanks! (and Prime does rock, it's almost instant gratification)

B.Ike
    my concern would be rear tire clearance. I'd be surprised if you can get a tire bigger than 2.25, and if you can its because the chainstay is really long, (i can't tell on my computer but it looks like 460mm)

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    my concern would be rear tire clearance. I'd be surprised if you can get a tire bigger than 2.25, and if you can its because the chainstay is really long, (i can't tell on my computer but it looks like 460mm)
    Really hard to see but Im seeing 451mm or 461mm. 451 is long but not horrible. My Charge is 450mm and handles fine.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Purchased as a frame and weighed before adding components.

mtbr member

Got it, took some photos, here are some rough measurements!

So here are some photos, Funny looks like it might be from nashbar?
    7.48 lbs
    is that a long chainstay??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132627-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132638-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132715-576x1024-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132745-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132923-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132942-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_132954-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_133003-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_133127-1024x576-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_133157-576x1024-.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-20140718_133210-1024x576-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yah, that's a long chainstay. I don't think it was 451 or 461 on the drawing. It must have been 481.

Probably not going to be nimble but it should be stable.

mtbr member
    Yah, that's a long chainstay. I don't think it was 451 or 461 on the drawing. It must have been 481.

Probably not going to be nimble but it should be stable.

looking at it, I think your right 481 what do you think about the top tube kinda long too?

B.Ike
    do you mean the seat tube? seems right for a small.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by madpanda View Post
    looking at it, I think your right 481 what do you think about the top tube kinda long too?
    You measure top tube from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube which looks like yours is at about 22.5 or 22.75. Maybe a tad long but you can run a shorter stem, which I prefer.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    You measure top tube from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube which looks like yours is at about 22.5 or 22.75. Maybe a tad long but you can run a shorter stem, which I prefer.
    I got one of those bmx like stems, I never used it because it was so heavy, no big deal in this frame :-)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Similar steel Nashbar bike (V brakes) for $220 shipped today.

mtbr member
    Anybody have pics of one all built up? I just ordered one today to build up as a winter beater. Hoping to find people who have built these frames up and ridden them.

mtbr member

I've started building up another one of their frames

Quote Originally Posted by iowinos View Post
    Anybody have pics of one all built up? I just ordered one today to build up as a winter beater. Hoping to find people who have built these frames up and ridden them.

I've Started to build up their cross frame, it has a lot of clearance fit a Geax AKA 2.0 in the rear here is a current pick, and it next to my 53CM road bike
    Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-dsc_0283.jpgSteel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-dsc_0022.jpgSteel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-dsc_0026.jpg
    Not as nice as a surly. And the rear derailleur hanger is too close to the dropout so you have to take the skewer out to take the rear wheel out.

mtbr member
    how is the quality on the cross frame? I guess I wouldn't expect much for the price, just as long as they will hold up and don't have major defects

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not finished yet. Been building it up for the last 5 months from the parts bin and buying used. Still need to rebuild the fork (when I get unlazy) and buy new brakes. Do note that a DMR chain tensioner will not work on this frame. $50 gone. Haven't rode it yet except up and down the street so I cannot comment on how it will fair on dirt just yet. Enjoy a sh*t ton of pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1107.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1109.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1110.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1111.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1117.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1122-1.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1133.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1134.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1137.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-imag1145.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-1.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-2.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-3.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-4.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-5.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-6.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-7.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-8.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-9.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-10.jpg  

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-11.jpg  

Pizza is life. Beer helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I purchased Nashbar's 26" steel frame, which resembles the CFG, as a platform for a street only electric bike. The price was $80 since it was during a frequent 20% off promotion. This frame, mostly mild steel with a chromoly tube or two (AFAIK) is heavy (guessing 7.5 pounds), stiff and straight, exactly what I expected from them. My wife has loved their similarly priced aluminum 26" frame which is relatively light, stiff and straight for about four years.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing (and hoping, based on my parts bin), we're talking a 27.2 post and 68mm bottom bracket. That right? Can't seem to find geo anywhere, pic in this thread was hard to make out.

mtbr member
    great looking build for a parts bike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A$$UMING it's the same as Nashbar's, they will email you the specifics including frame geometry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iowinos View Post
    I'm guessing (and hoping, based on my parts bin), we're talking a 27.2 post and 68mm bottom bracket. That right? Can't seem to find geo anywhere, pic in this thread was hard to make out.
    Yes, it is a 27.2 seatpost. The seatpost clamp is 30.0mm. I bought my bb from a buddy who swears it was 72mm but I didn't really look at it as I was just excited to put it on the bike right away. My stupid.

Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-untitled.jpg

mtbr member
    Have you had a chance to ride it? I'm thinking of buying one. I have enough parts laying around to build one too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No. Been waiting on new brakes to come in which finally arrived a week ago (shipping problems), but now I am having fork problems that I hope to have resolved shortly. I'll post up when I have it up and running and a few rides on it.

mtbr member
    I don't really need a new project, but....

What is the rear tire clearance like, particularly at the chainstays? Could you fit a 2.4 in there?
    noone in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm particularly interested in how this turned out, I stumbled across this frame on Amazon and kinda want to build a bike for the first time with it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't think you mean my 26" model, but FWIW mine worked well. Inexpensive, heavy frame, but rock solid and well-enough made. Assume the 29er which is also $80 ($100 with frequent 20% off sales) is the same. Rode it up a nine mile 3000'+ ascent yesterday. Up and down fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here is a link to the one I built up. Heavy, not very nimble and the long chainstays can be a pain for rear traction on steep climbs but very stable and overall a good ride. Also, I dont think its possible to kill it. SS rigid in its near future. For the money its a great frame!
    Nashbar Cromo 29er hardtail - Pedal Room

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the responses/link. I'm leaning towards buying a single speed frame off of bikeisland at this point. That is a good looking bike though, especially for that price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I completely forgot about this thread. I actually rode the bike just the other day. It is still set up as a single speed and I haven't changed a thing since I posted pictures. I have had a few slips on very steep terrain similar to BikeBro, but was able to get through without dismounting. I also have a small block 8 in the back so I think that could be solved by using a more burly tire.

The frame is definitely heavy, but it is a solid, strong steel frame. I have beaten the tar out of it with no problems. I actually find it a tad more "flickable" than my Orbea Alma 29er.

If you have the parts lying around and you just want to build something up on the cheap, I say go for it. I did it because I wanted to give single speed a try without breaking the bank and I achieved that. I am happy with it and foresee many, many more miles ahead of me on it. That said, I do intend to upgrade the frame one day to a proper single speed frame when there is a little more money in the budget (specifically the Canfield Brothers Nimble 9).

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That's good to hear. i definitely don't have the extra parts and am trying to plan a build for a winter commuter, maybe I'd be better off getting a slightly better frame If I plan on putting new components on it. The price was just so tempting.

mtbr member
    I actually bought both of these frames a year ago. The cross frame is heavy but works well. I built a single speed, disk brake, flat bar commuter with it. I had enough part to tinker with gearing and find a happy ratio that did dot require a tensioner.
    the mountain frame is also quite heavy and is long but super stable. my steering head angle came out at 69.5 degrees. The big issue with this frame is that the BB & top tube height is way above average with 29r wheels. I ended up getting some cheaper (also heavy) 27.5 wheels and tires and now it is just great. I'm wondering if it might have been designed for no suspension and the geometry with a 100mm travel fork supports this.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Steel 29er On the cheap (Ever heard of CFG?)-img_3567.jpg

Just finished rebuilding this as a rigid ss w/ Voodoo Zombie 500 fork. First ride went really well, geared a bit too high though, I am actually considering doing a dingle setup to help with that. Took rock gardens well, though my arms and hands were hammered after!
    Last edited by BikeBro; 05-16-2016 at 08:40 PM.